The "Latinization" of Long Island

Check this out

Three-Part Series Premieres
Tuesday, May 27-Thursday, May 29 at 7.30 pm

WLIW21 New York Public Television explores ways to stop the exodus of young professionals from Long Island.

Features highlights from a town hall meeting at Hofstra University and interviews with young professionals, Long Island Association, Inc. President Matt Crosson, Rauch Foundation President Nancy Rauch Douzinas, former Mayor of Greenport David Kappel and Mayor of Patchogue Paul Pontieri. Laura Savini hosts.

Learn more about the crisis and why the community must come together to find solutions.

Video and resources at: wliw.org/LeavingLI

Encore presentations:
Tuesday, May 27-Thursday, May 29 at 11:30 pm
Sunday, June 15 from 10 -11:30 am

I had jury duty a few weeks ago in the queens court and what a hold up due to the number of people who couldnt speak english. Spanish and Russian everywhere.
I actually felt bad for the court cop who had to interview them as to why they are excused. She asked for a xanax, lol. She told them they had 3 yrs to learn english or they would get a huge fine or spend days in jail next summons. So many been living the fruits of this country for 20-30 yrs and never bothered to learn our language.

The third world population is the cause of America's down fall. It is by no fault of there own. The Government knows what they can and can not get away with. The price of oilis is the best example.

I had jury duty a few weeks ago in the queens court and what a hold up due to the number of people who couldnt speak english. Spanish and Russian everywhere.
I actually felt bad for the court cop who had to interview them as to why they are excused. She asked for a xanax, lol. She told them they had 3 yrs to learn english or they would get a huge fine or spend days in jail next summons. So many been living the fruits of this country for 20-30 yrs and never bothered to learn our language.
That bull-shit. They can't throw people in jail because they speak English. A few posts back you sounded like a liberal, what happened?

The third world population is the cause of America's down fall. It is by no fault of there own. The Government knows what they can and can not get away with. The price of oilis is the best example.
Kinda hard to decipher what people actually mean in this thread, but the third world population isn't the problem America has to deal with, at least not directly.

The fundamental problem is that the US general population got a better economy while the US was engaged in protectionism and before there was an international legal framework for intellectual property (not to mention slavery - i.e cheap labor). With the neo-liberal-trade nutcases in charge all of this changes. Those who own large businesses gain by being able to have manufacturing overseas. Think Wal-Mart etc. And by allowing capital to flow in and out of countries it keeps nations from developing too high salary structures for the working class. In other words, recently the owners have benefited while the workers have not. Has nothing to do with the third world, directly.

Also, because of this, there's a tendency (like before) for the poor to come to richer nations to live better lives. Nothing new about it. If anything, the current "free-trade" climate actually promotes it. Because if a nations poor starts getting better quality of life, it usually equates to higher wages, which means higher costs, which means US companies will relocate unless the wages are kept low. In other words the incentive is for poor nations to stay poor in order to get the work.

Oil has little to do with this I think. The current wars drive up prices because it's the perfect excuse for arguing that the oil market is "volatile" which then warrants the price hike. Of course, invading actual oil producing nations which actually does change supply doesn't help.

Lastly, this whole moving of people between areas in New York is driven by capitalism and market economy, isn't it? I mean, if you look at the "cool" areas where artists live(d) they've changed because of the market economy. Poor artists move to poor areas. Rich people move there because the artists make the area cool. They drive up the prices and the artists move to a different area they can afford. West village, east village, park slope, williamsburg etc. Same crap. And while "cleaning up" the city it's being made more expensive. So these "third world" people are forced further away from the center of the city. I think that's what we're seeing in parts of Harlem now. And I wonder what's going to happen to LIC when the more affluent want a nice condo with a clear view of the mid-town Manhattan skyline.

So in the end I think this is a much bigger issue than is implied.

And this may sound ridiculous to some but, when the white Europeans came to America they not only didn't bother to learn the language native to the land, they instead near exterminated the natives. So in contrast, this influx of darkies seems relatively benign, even if it's illegal immigrants who haven't learned the language and come here to work....

I think the options are a more protectionist pro-labour nation or what America has now. It's a national as well as local political issue.

Kinda hard to decipher what people actually mean in this thread, but the third world population isn't the problem America has to deal with, at least not directly.

The fundamental problem is that the US general population got a better economy while the US was engaged in protectionism and before there was an international legal framework for intellectual property (not to mention slavery - i.e cheap labor). With the neo-liberal-trade nutcases in charge all of this changes. Those who own large businesses gain by being able to have manufacturing overseas. Think Wal-Mart etc. And by allowing capital to flow in and out of countries it keeps nations from developing too high salary structures for the working class. In other words, recently the owners have benefited while the workers have not. Has nothing to do with the third world, directly.

Also, because of this, there's a tendency (like before) for the poor to come to richer nations to live better lives. Nothing new about it. If anything, the current "free-trade" climate actually promotes it. Because if a nations poor starts getting better quality of life, it usually equates to higher wages, which means higher costs, which means US companies will relocate unless the wages are kept low. In other words the incentive is for poor nations to stay poor in order to get the work.

Oil has little to do with this I think. The current wars drive up prices because it's the perfect excuse for arguing that the oil market is "volatile" which then warrants the price hike. Of course, invading actual oil producing nations which actually does change supply doesn't help.

Lastly, this whole moving of people between areas in New York is driven by capitalism and market economy, isn't it? I mean, if you look at the "cool" areas where artists live(d) they've changed because of the market economy. Poor artists move to poor areas. Rich people move there because the artists make the area cool. They drive up the prices and the artists move to a different area they can afford. West village, east village, park slope, williamsburg etc. Same crap. And while "cleaning up" the city it's being made more expensive. So these "third world" people are forced further away from the center of the city. I think that's what we're seeing in parts of Harlem now. And I wonder what's going to happen to LIC when the more affluent want a nice condo with a clear view of the mid-town Manhattan skyline.

So in the end I think this is a much bigger issue than is implied.

And this may sound ridiculous to some but, when the white Europeans came to America they not only didn't bother to learn the language native to the land, they instead near exterminated the natives. So in contrast, this influx of darkies seems relatively benign, even if it's illegal immigrants who haven't learned the language and come here to work....

I think the options are a more protectionist pro-labour nation or what America has now. It's a national as well as local political issue.
What I mean is that our Govenment now has taken on the traits of the third world Governments;

Price fixing, allowing corporate monopolies, media control, elimination of our freedom,

There is no one to stand up and shout.

Last edited:
That's the best story I've heard in awhile. If I was there, I would've given the court cop a firm handshake, and even offered to smoke him up after the interviews were over. We would've laughed, and had a great time.

That bull-shit. They can't throw people in jail because they speak English. A few posts back you sounded like a liberal, what happened?
Its not that they throw them in because they cant speak english.
The defendants commit an offense, like driving drunk, etc , the judge orders them to take english class etc, as part of their sentence instead of jail time.
they don't learn english, so they get the jail time they would have gotten the first time they were there.