The Hank Aaron Award

Or perhaps we should call it.... The Lifetime achievement award

or maybe the ..... "The fans voted and they don't give a crap about reality and because we are from New York and we have more people than you award....."

This is SUPPOSED to be an offensive category award, so shall we look at Mr. Jeter's numbers?

HR: 14 That puts Jeter at number 65 on the AL list
RBI: 97 That puts Jeter at number 22 on the AL list
AVE: 343 Number 2;
SB: 34 Number 7:
Walks: 69 Number 17
Runs: 118 Number 2
Total Bases: 301: Number 13

I guess we can't have Ortiz win anything, now can we? I seem to remember Hank was a slugger....

The only thing worse than this was giving Arod the MVP last year....

I see your point, but I don't quite agree with some of your reasoning.

Actually, Ortiz won the award in 2005, so I'm not sure how you figure he can't "win anything". Manny took it in 2004.

Jeter is the first Yankee ever to win the award, so I can't figure out how you're arguing some New York bias (if that's what you're arguing).

Doesn't fan voting only make up a certain percentage of the voting or something like that?

The Hank Aaron Award was created in 1999 on the 25th anniversary of Aaron breaking Ruths record. Initially the winner was determined thru a system based solely on stats. After a couple years they turned it into a voting process by allotting each clubs TV/Radio broadcasters an equal amount of votes. Then a year or so later they changed it again to include the fan base in the vote. However... The fan vote results while accounting for the vast majority of overall votes, only accounts for 25% or 30% towards the decision while the broadcasters account for the remaining 70-75%. So this format while not as good as doing it "statistically" does limit ballot box stuffing by the major market cities.

This award was created to award sluggers who although produced better stats, weren't fit for the MVP award because they played on losing teams or they simply weren't invaluable to their teams success. Jeter winning this is quite the opposite of how it's supposed to work. A guy like Ortiz or Ryan Howard (who btw won in the NL) should get this award while someone like Jeter who although had less impressive stats, was more invaluable to his team and thus should win the MVP.

It's probably not coincidence that the two biggest pieces of dogshit to win this award 3 times, sort of proves that all the monstrous stats don't make one invaluable to their teams success, or even make a success of their team.... and thus NOT worthy of the MVP. Bonds and A-Rod are the only 3 time winners of this award. And yeah... I know Bonds has won a slew of MVP's and A-Rod has his..... but those are HUGE injustices and black eyes to the game of baseball when they had out the most prestigious of all awards so cheaply to such notorious unclutch players like these two pieces of dogshit.

I have participated in anumber of "best of" tournaments" on line where the readers vote and whenever the fans vote, they tend to ignore the category heading and vote for the guys they love the most. I think Jeter is a great team player and a model for what the Yankees should be looking for, but this just wasn't the right place to honor him.

You can look at it two ways.....

Jeter's either so far an away the MVP this year and finally being regarded as he should, that it carried over to this award.

Or they're going to rob Jeter of the MVP.

The theory behind fans voting for the allstar game has always been.... it's their game that they support so they deserve to see who they want.

Stitch said:
The fans are always a bad idea in this kind of thing. The All Star game would be so much more interesting if the fans weren't involved...
The fans only vote in the starting 16 fielders. The rest of the each team is selected by the managers, and their chosen staff. It is also a baseball all-star rule, every team be represented.