Tatis contract.

For a players first 3 years you can renew him year by year for at least the major league minimum ($570,500 per year). In years 4,5 and 6 they are arbitration eligible. Tatis hasn't even completed one full year. I would say ... play for the first three years and then offer him an extension if you are afraid of offending him at the arbitration table. If he does great .. he is going to get like $11 mill in his first arbitration eligible year. Cody Bellinger set the record by getting $11.5 mill in his first year of arbitration after getting the MVP award. From what I see ... they are really getting ahead of themselves here.

For a players first 3 years you can renew him year by year for at least the major league minimum ($570,500 per year). In years 4,5 and 6 they are arbitration eligible. Tatis hasn't even completed one full year. I would say ... play for the first three years and then offer him an extension if you are afraid of offending him at the arbitration table. If he does great .. he is going to get like $11 mill in his first arbitration eligible year. Cody Bellinger set the record by getting $11.5 mill in his first year of arbitration after getting the MVP award. From what I see ... they are really getting ahead of themselves here.
I agree. Fact.
I think they are thinking just lock him up. In yr 6 and 7, maybe they will feel he is on the cheap? Also, Steve, like you always mention with these really really long contracts, they never seem to work out near the end. just think, this one is 14 years. damn

When you look at them which ones worked out? Winfield was the first 10 year for the Yanks and that one was good. AN article I found graed it a C. That's silly when you consider the guy earned a HOF entry on that 10 years. Jeter's was good. A-rod? First one was good. Second BAD. Stanton's is looking bad. Pujols was NOT good although maybe not bad. Ryan Braun - not good. Especially after cheating. Tulo - Bad. Are there any others? I looked itup and found an old article. I won't mention Wayne Garland and Richie Zisk. WHo knew they had 10 year contracts in the 70's!

When you look at them which ones worked out? Winfield was the first 10 year for the Yanks and that one was good. AN article I found graed it a C. That's silly when you consider the guy earned a HOF entry on that 10 years. Jeter's was good. A-rod? First one was good. Second BAD. Stanton's is looking bad. Pujols was NOT good although maybe not bad. Ryan Braun - not good. Especially after cheating. Tulo - Bad. Are there any others? I looked itup and found an old article. I won't mention Wayne Garland and Richie Zisk. WHo knew they had 10 year contracts in the 70's!
I agree. How in the world can Winfield be rated a C ? If he played 7 yrs of that 10 yr contract, it was an A. Maybe overall, because of his strained relationship with the owner? All on the owners end, Winfield didn't deserve that.

Pujols, Cano and A-Rod's second 10 year deal came after they turned 30 (there's also been speculation for years that Pujols has lied about his age). A-Rod's first and Jeter's 10 year deal were both completed when both players were in their mid-20s, and both easily lived up to if not exceeded their value of the contract.

It's not fair to use the 10 year contracts of guys who signed theirs past 30 with a player who signed one after just turning 22.

Trout will probably live up to his deal. I have my doubts about Harper, but I can see Machado being productive for a long time to come.

I agree that it was premature to lock him up long term now when there's still multiple seasons of team control, but I also think Tatis is so incredibly talented that he'll likely live up to this contract given how young he is and how relatively low the AAV of the deal is.

The problem with Trout's contract is that Anaheim stinks. How can you justify paying this guy so much money when you can't even make the playoffs. Maybe trade him and try again at building your club.

The problem with Trout's contract is that Anaheim stinks. How can you justify paying this guy so much money when you can't even make the playoffs. Maybe trade him and try again at building your club.
You can justify paying him that much because he's worth that much. They signed that pitcher/hitter Ohtani and Anthony Rendon, so it's not like the team is averse to spending to get players. Pujols is possibly retiring or entering his last season, so that money is coming off the books.

The team hasn't been good, but I can see them competing for a playoff spot with a few additions and the existence of the expanded playoff format.

If the Angels let the greatest player of his generation leave in the midst of his prime, while operating in one of the largest media markets, they should be contracted from MLB. It's that black and white.

The contract is long, but at $24M/season, it's not breaking new AAV territory. In 5, 10 years that salary will be lagging to what the premiere Shortstops are getting. If he continues to grow as a player (scary thought for the NL) you could argue this contract will have underpaid him when it's all said and done.
I agree. It seems to me (vagueness intentional because I'm not an expert) that free agents are being paid for what they've already done. Then they may or may not come through when they get the big contract. If management really believes in Tatis, give him the money up front for his best years. If nothing else, it's a nicer way to do business and buys goodwill with fans.

Buys goodwill with fans??? What happens when (in most cases like these) this guy gets hurt or plays bad ... then you can never sign that one guy to put you over the to because you are stuck with this guy's bad contract. The fans will be looking to lynch you for wasting money unnecessarily.

Buys goodwill with fans??? What happens when (in most cases like these) this guy gets hurt or plays bad ... then you can never sign that one guy to put you over the to because you are stuck with this guy's bad contract. The fans will be looking to lynch you for wasting money unnecessarily.
I agree. It even happen to the Yanks this off season, they couldnt spend like they would have maybe wanted to with giving Cole that contract last off season and taking on the Stanton contract. And he is great. Imagine, if a team did that and the guy doesnt work out? So if it can handcuff the Yanks, imagine what it would or can do to other teams?