Tatis contract.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Am I the only one who thinks this contract is total insanity?

The guy has a year and a half under is belt.

To me this is wrong on so many levels.
They had so many more years of team control.

Now imagine what a real star, like Lindor can ask for.

This contract throws the salary structure way out of wack. The other owners can't be too happy.

And how the hell can the Padres afford this plus Machado?

I'm really scratching my head on this one. Makes no sense at all.

It is crazy...with not even 2 years under his belt. I blame the owners.Also I am not giving anyone 14 years...other owners definitely not happy with this.

It is crazy...with not even 2 years under his belt. I blame the owners.Also I am not giving anyone 14 years...other owners definitely not happy with this.
They were making offers on basically every free agent out there this year. They must have a lot of money to burn. I guess they felt he will leave as soon as he can. But I agree with you however.

This contract throws the salary structure way out of wack. The other owners can't be too happy.

Big gamble for sure. I can't if I am a GM give, a 22 year old that kind of money. But they must feel he is a different type of player/person who can handle that kind of loot / pressure. Chiefs gave Maholms a ton of money.

All guaranteed contracts are insured, so if he ever got hurt, Padres would recoup the money for time lost.

Padres have been very aggressive last few years, started with the Shields signing. They got some loot somewhere, should be an exciting race in the NL WEST.

Wow, I just don't have the time or energy to argue that one.
I do agree with you guys. It's too soon to pay him.
Jeter had to wait and did a lot more on his rookie deal.
They must think this kid is special.
I wonder if he makes it to the end of that contract before getting traded.

If he lives up to the hype will be a great deal for the Padres.

High risk, high reward. If they let him get to free agency in 5 years and he performs at a level of say Soto, Trout, Lindor he will be getting close to if not more then 40 million a year and they will have him for half that the rest of his productive career. Or it blows up in thier face and a billionaire loses a couple dollars per year. I dont think they are worried.

I would say that the odds are that MOST players like Tatis do NOT live up to what San Diego must be projecting. He has to be like a perenial all-star to live up to that contract. He may very well live up to it ... the point is that he is under team control for many more years ... I would have waited at least another year or two. He would still be looking at multiple years of automatic reneals at 2 or 3 mill a year and also arbitration. If after his third year they offered the same contract I bet he would still take it. I guess only time will tell.

Lindor will be 28 when he's an URFA, so it's not exactly apples to apples. Tatis just turned 22. I don't understand the motivation to lock him up long term given how many years of team control San Diego has. Another good point made by others is that he hasn't even played a full season yet.

He does appear to be an incredible talent with five tools playing a premium position. At the risk of wanting to secure their new face of the franchise for the duration of his prime, San Diego decided to lock him up. It removes the headache of arbitration and how he might react when he becomes a free agent.

The contract is long, but at $24M/season, it's not breaking new AAV territory. In 5, 10 years that salary will be lagging to what the premiere Shortstops are getting. If he continues to grow as a player (scary thought for the NL) you could argue this contract will have underpaid him when it's all said and done.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Lindor will be 28 when he's an URFA, so it's not exactly apples to apples. Tatis just turned 22. I don't understand the motivation to lock him up long term given how many years of team control San Diego has. Another good point made by others is that he hasn't even played a full season yet.

He does appear to be an incredible talent with five tools playing a premium position. At the risk of wanting to secure their new face of the franchise for the duration of his prime, San Diego decided to lock him up. It removes the headache of arbitration and how he might react when he becomes a free agent.

The contract is long, but at $24M/season, it's not breaking new AAV territory. In 5, 10 years that salary will be lagging to what the premiere Shortstops are getting. If he continues to grow as a player (scary thought for the NL) you could argue this contract will have underpaid him when it's all said and done.
Best explanation I've heard yet

Clearly this is ownership's justification. San Diego has been really aggressive this off season and previous years (signing Machado) and for a team that was 70-92 in 2019, improving to 37-23 last season, you have to give them credit in turning this franchise around. Hopefully they will give the Dodgers a run.