Switch to Digital TV

AS everyone knows as of Feb. 17, the television broadcasters will stop broadcasting over the air TV in analog, and switch to digital. We have been told that all we need to do is to get is get a digital to analog conversion box and poof, no more problems.

The truth is that unless your analog TV signal is strong (I don’t know just how many db that is), you won’t get anything but snow as digital reception is an all or nothing thing.

The conversion boxes might have signal amplifier to increase the strength of the analog signal, and this might help. Does anyone know anything about this?

all you need is cable

If you have cable or satellite to your home you are set for the digital conversion and don't need to do anything. If you only have "rabbit ears" or a roof top antenna you can convert to basic cable and have more channels with good clarity. That's all you need to do.

I bought a convertor box using the $40 coupon. It worked with the cheap rabbit ears, but I found that if I used an amplified antenna, I was able to pick up more stations. I'm currently using a regular TV an the picture from this cheap convertor box is clearer than my cable signal.

The other good thing, is that now I have a separate tuner, so I can go back and forth between stations now...

The truth is that unless your analog TV signal is strong (I don’t know just how many db that is), you won’t get anything but snow as digital reception is an all or nothing thing.
ength of the analog signal, and this might help. Does anyone know anything about this?
I live in a valley with crappy analog reception. When I moved here, I got two crappy snowy UHF channels over my rabbit ears. Some of the stations have been converting early, so I got an amplified antennae at walmart that said it was specifically for digital (TV already had a digital tuner built in, so no converter needed) and WOW... I now get about 12 stations, in varying clarity. 4 of these are digital. When there are reception problems you get the blocky picture and audio cutout, like you do with bad satellite. But it's not "all or nothing"

Signal on HDTV

I have an outdoor antenna at my home, just a regular VHF-UHF antenna. On analog channels, I only get 2 channels clear and without ghosting, the others have some varying degree of multi-path(ghosting). When I got to digital(HDTV), I get a sharp clear picture, better than I get on any cable or sat signal. I get all the stations around me. With analog signals, you always had to contend with signal to noise, and ghosting(multi path), the stronger the signal the clearer the picture, with digital you just have to be 3 db above the threshold of the TV receive to get a clear picture. So when looking at an analog signal from a crappy station, I get a sharp clear picture on digital from the same station. This HDTV enhanced antenna is just a bunch of marketing bullshit. If your present ant picks up a decent signal on analog, it will do just fine with HDTV

Well I live in the city and I know that the amplified antenna does help. Also don't be fooled about spending over $40 for an amplified antenna. I have a TERK, and does a decent job over my rabbit ears.

Again, YMMV. hahah

I have an outdoor antenna at my home, just a regular VHF-UHF antenna. On analog channels, I only get 2 channels clear and without ghosting, the others have some varying degree of multi-path(ghosting). When I got to digital(HDTV), I get a sharp clear picture, better than I get on any cable or sat signal. I get all the stations around me. With analog signals, you always had to contend with signal to noise, and ghosting(multi path), the stronger the signal the clearer the picture, with digital you just have to be 3 db above the threshold of the TV receive to get a clear picture. So when looking at an analog signal from a crappy station, I get a sharp clear picture on digital from the same station. This HDTV enhanced antenna is just a bunch of marketing bullshit. If your present ant picks up a decent signal on analog, it will do just fine with HDTV
But just what is "decent"?

Get real

I guess the "expert" I got this information from must work for a cable TV company.
I'm hoping you are not referring to me! I do not and never have worked for a cable company.
I am a communications engineer retired but still working. I am only giving you my personnel experiences with HDTV. Decent picture is open to a vast interpretation. I am calling it a watchable picture, not necessarily a clear picture. The antenna's are like these Monster cables sold by Best Buy or Circuit City that cost as much as the TV, I defy anyone to tell the difference between a $6.00 HDMI cable bought on the Internet with one sold by retailers for $50.00. same with audio cables. I now pick up on digital, 6 stations with perfect clarity versus 2 stations with clear picture on analog. They are the same stations. With a digital signal, its either there or it isn't, no in between like analog. I am no expert but I have enough knowledge to make an informed observation. Just like the providers, YMMV depending where you are

Last edited:
Unless you have all sorts of electrical interference or spent 5 grand or more on a 500watt sound system, Monster Cables are a complete waste of money.

However... when it comes to HDTV with an HDMI hook-up... go with mid to premium cables. It will on occasion produce a better picture.

Are any of the over the air NYC metro stations sending out an HD signal as of this time.

About 4 months ago I bought a converter when they were first being sold (I already had a $40 coupon). I set it up as per instruction but got no signal (the device had a message of "no signal"). I am in queens and if there was a signal I would get it as I get all but 1 analog signals very well. I put the box away until Feb 17 of until the HD signals were available.

The DTV site has a list of stations across the country which are sending out an HD signal. It has been perhaps 2 months but when I last checked none were in NYC. I would think that the stations would want to start their HD signals well before Feb 17 to avoid any last minute problems.

I don't get cable or satellite TV. I can survive without them and I refuse to give the Dolans and others of their ilk any of my hard earned money. I would rather spend it on hobbying.

Are any of the over the air NYC metro stations sending out an HD signal as of this time.

The DTV site has a list of stations across the country which are sending out an HD signal. It has been perhaps 2 months but when I last checked none were in NYC. I would think that the stations would want to start their HD signals well before Feb 17 to avoid any last minute problems.
QUOTE]

That's strange, I wonder how the cable operators are picking up HDTV from the locals then. All the stations in Central PA are transmitting HDTV along with analog. I don't know how you set up those boxes, maybe they are like the TV's, you have to do a search function to find them. Maybe you should call the company about your box Daengman, maybe its defective. Cause if you are picking up analog fine, you should be getting the digital signals as well.

new stations

in order for your tv to tune new digital stations as they come up you need to re-scan like when you first set the TV up because many channels will be in different channel positions.

i can't believe how many of you are not hooked to cable or satellite and have been connected through roof top or rabbit ears. you were among about 13% nationally before the beginning of the digital transition...

Yes, all of them.

Regarding the antenna, from what I've read the problem with using a traditional rabbit ears antenna is that digital signals are more directional than old analog signals, so you have to keep adjusting the antenna every time you switch channels. At least, that was my experience. So I bought a multidirectional antenna (RCA makes several) and have had great results. It's also a cool design -- looks like a white piece of tile and can be mounted on the wall. I may try the amplified version, because Channel 13 sometimes comes in very weak.