String theory and m theory...

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I can understand physics to a point. I am with you up through relativity, but that's where I just shake my head and wonder how do these people figure this stuff out.

When my grandparents were born, Andromeda had yet to be classified as a galaxy. The fact that there are now 100 billion proposed galaxies? And perhaps other universe (s)? Mind blowing. All this in 90 years? What is going to happen in the next 90?

They say the longer you live, the more knowledge you aquire. Funny, the longer i live, as each year passes, the more confused i get. I think thats what alzheimer's really is, all the new shit, piled on top of the old shit, while changing everything year after year just fries you head.

-I've been reading "Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall. It is like reading Finigan's Wake, a tough read. I am reading it so I will keep learning something new -- I want to keep my brains intact.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
There has to be a layman's way of understanding this on some level...
I find this statement amusing. When it comes to this kind of stuff I watch the science channel and even with visual aids I get a little lost. Still I hope that my mind is as sharp as it ever was...

String Theories were developed in an attempt to unite the various relationships of forces with the fundamental relationship of mass with energy. Just to impress you, Einstein defined this concept as the 'Theory of Everything'. Unfortunately he did not succeed.
Stephen Hawking picked up the gauntlet and has kept interest alive for many decades. A difficult yet near layman's expiation is contained in Hawking's great book, "A Brief History of Time.

(Unless we are talking about the string-along-theory by which every female operates to extract the maximum value of m, where m=money.)

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
String Theories were developed in an attempt to unite the various relationships of forces with the fundamental relationship of mass with energy. Just to impress you, Einstein defined this concept as the 'Theory of Everything'. Unfortunately he did not succeed.
Stephen Hawking picked up the gauntlet and has kept interest alive for many decades. A difficult yet near layman's expiation is contained in Hawking's great book, "A Brief History of Time.

(Unless we are talking about the string-along-theory by which every female operates to extract the maximum value of m, where m=money.)
One of my Top 10 favorite lines ever on UG! Man, oh man, I love that line!!!

Bill Bryson, A Short History of Almost Everything

-I've been reading "Warped Passages" by Lisa Randall. It is like reading Finigan's Wake, a tough read. I am reading it so I will keep learning something new -- I want to keep my brains intact.
The above book in boldface doesn't explain in detail about strings but puts it in context of the unifying theory.
It's an interesting and not demanding read since the author is not a scientist.
Coincidentally, he references "Finnegan's Wake" as part of his exposition.

I have an interest in physics, and have taken class, read many books, including all the Hawkins books, and a few others, and read about Einstein... I have no idea what the hell string theory is, nor what M theory is... frankly, while I am not the sharpest pencil in the box, I can usually grasp the regular thoughts, and follow along with the bouncing ball, but this stuff, in my opinion, is physics at it most obscure and math based. This is the theoretical branch that tries to explain the mathematics.... they discover something in a Van de Graf Accelerator, and then try to explain it mathematicaly... I have stopped trying to understand it, b/c no matter how many times I try, it gets worse... plus there is so much background stuff, assumptions, and theory that must be accepted as true, that is just seems ridiculous... just remember that time and space are relative, and you are good to go... thats it for me..