Streetwalkers, past and present

back in the 70's, there was a 'daytime stroll' on the east side of third ave, btwn St. Marx Plays and E9th -- across the street from Cooper Union.

the girls used a hotel on the SE corner of St. Marx. it's now been erzatz-gentrified as "The St. Mark's Hotel". but, back then it was called The Valencia (it had been The Sagamore before then.)

The Valencia was a classic of its kind. they didn't repair the occasional bullet hole in a door or wall for two reasons. first, it was a subtle reminder of the importance of maintaining one's decorum. two, it made for convenient 'peeping', which was considered a harmless and playful pastime.

The rooms with a queen size bed and always-fresh (if slightly tattered) sheets were on the first floor, and rented by the hour. however, i would skip these and take my date up to my room, thus saving 20 cents on the deal.

all in all, an ideal place to live.

Queens

In the late 80's you used to be able to pick up a girl just off the Queensboro bridge. I can't remember the exact streets, but it was a quick left off the upper level exit ramp, and then cruise around the area. It was always dark, very rarely any cops, and it was possible to find some good looking girls (if my memory isn't totally shot). I had my first experience with a streetwalker there. I drove by that area late one night last fall, just out of curiosity. As far as I could tell, they've "cleaned up" the neighborhood.

Jester

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Ah, 32nd Street.............

Those who have heard this story before will have to bear with me. When I was 17, my first hobby experience was on 32nd Street between Park and Lex ( yes, I'm sure it was during the time Skellychamp speaks of ). I was going to a party of some HS buddy in the area. I was walking down 32nd Street and the girls were all over the place. There was a service entrance to an office building where there was some activity going on, so I turned to look. There must have been 6 guys lined up against the wall, all getting blowjobs. The clunking sound my jaw made as it hit the pavement must have been loud enough to get someone's attention, because before I knew it, a girl grabbed my hand and said "you're next, honey". She dragged me inside the area, pushed me up against the wall, and said "that'll be $20, sweetie".

It's been downhill ever since.

Slinky Bender

jester,
There have usually been two separate LIC city strolls ( off the 59th Street Bridge ). One to the North, and one to the South. The Northern one is usually called "the smokestacks", because of the three ConEd smokestacks which are so prominent to the area. In the early 80's, this was the "low rent" end ( hahaha, the Southern stroll was low rent also, but it's all rellative ).

There was a time about 7 years ago, just after the crackdown started in earnest on Manhattan, that a bunch of the girls who used to cruise the 20's started to cruise the South stroll, but it didn't last too long, as this stroll got squashed shortly after. At one time ( early 80's ? ) there were some striking Latinas who were regulars there.

Who remembers when Lex from 45th to 43rd used to be a stroll, from maybe 11.30AM till 3PM? Its was in the 70s.....there used to be a cheap hotel at 45th and Lex above the Burger King, next to a 2nd floor barber shop.

Cost was $25 for a bj, $35 FS

Slinky,

It was the southern stroll, and I seem to remember a big taxi garage there. $20 for a bj, and I vaguely remember one fs session, but I was absolutely polluted and I don't remember the cost (or the outcome). I just have this vague recollection of lying across my front bench seat, and looking up at this really foxy (or so I thought at the time) latina.

I never knew about the northern stroll.

Jester

My first ever sight of streetwalkers was soon after I started working the night shift in Manhattan in 1986. One night, around 1 am, I was driving a co-worker to the bus terminal, when I saw all these cars lining up, with ladies in lingerie talking to them through the windows. I, being the curious sort, got in line. Then this rather large, very scantily dressed (I think she had on a g-string and bra) walked up to the car, leaned in the window, and said "y'all want your dicks sucked?".

It totally floored me, but I still grin to this day when I think about it.

PS, she was really rather large, and shouldn't have been wearing a g-string. :)

PPS, no I didn't take her up on the offer.

Jester

Slinky Bender

Jester,
I'm fairly sure the Taxi Garage you remember is on 44th Ave between 10th and 11th St. That was a big time stroll in the late 80's. Prior to that, most of the action was a little further East ( right off the turn-off to the right of the lower roadway - on the blocks 1 to 2 blocks South of Queens Plaza/the bridge ).

where has all the decadence gone?

Crap, it sounds like I really missed the glory days of NYC! What used to be a seedy fantasyland of cheap lovers is now this lame-ass, gentrified "New York Land" with a goddamn Starbucks on every corner. Does anyone know of other places existing in the world NOW that sport the filth of the 1970's?

Used to cruise all the spots in the 80's. I was a teenage techie in those days, and often got beeped to work at 245 Park at some obscene hour. From about 11pm til ?, the street was packed with hookers. Would ask them to move so that I could park my car. A few blocks north and east there was a gay pedophile cruise. Not my thing and still bizarre to me. Live on the Upper East Side now and go to sleep early, but still see the occasional pocket of chicks a couple times a year in the weirdest places. Only once and then never again. In front of the Post Office on 85th street. 3rd ave and 75th. The city is so much nicer these days it's unreal. I miss the action a little, but not the homeless, the squeegee guys, or the boys going down to 40 deuce to get paid.