Start a Thread, post an online poker hand...

For those who play online poker, I found an online hand converter that seems to work pretty well. (there are many others out there....) Just cut and paste your downloaded hand history (all sites provide them) into this: http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Ok, I'll start.
(I did have to input the suits manually... slinky, where can we get some card suit icons??)

Any comments on this hand? What would you do on the river?

No real reads... it was my second hand of the session. Typical small stakes loose limit holdem game.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: JackT is CO with Ks, Kh.
4 folds, JackT raises, Button 3-bets, 2 folds, JackT caps, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6h, Jd, 9s (2 players)
JackT bets, Button calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Tc (2 players)
JackT bets, Button calls.

River: (7.75 BB) Ad (2 players)

???

What do you do here? check/call? check/fold? bet/call? bet/fold?

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I really don't play limit games( except pot limit, which is my favorite, but that's not really the same) , so I'm out of my element. I think you almost always fold a pocket pair when an overcard shows, but in this case you're somewhat pot commited, and since it's a limit game the pot adds are long. My gut says check call, even though I think he's got you.

He had something worth re-raising pre-flop and them calling your re-re-raise. So I'm assuming "not an idiot" (I know, big assumption). Let's say it was pocket 9's or J's - that's consitent with his play, right? Flop comes and he hits trips. Still a good chance he flat calls you hoping to get more out of you on the turn and river.

Same if he's playing AJ, or even A9(s?) (I wouldn't be betting like he did with that hand, but lots of players would). He night well do what this guy did with those hands as well.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that there's a good chance he's go you beat based on the betting. If you check and call, what did you lose? One bet? Big deal. If you check and he checks and you win, what did you lose by not betting? Again, one bet? Big deal. What if you bet and he raises? Are you going to fold then with those long pot odds? Then you may have laid down the winner and "lost" ?9? bets. Or he raises and you have to call and you've thrown another 2 bets after your other money? Again, I'm not a limit player (and why I don't is that I want to be able to make it VERY expensive for a guy who's playing AJ to call after that flop and if he does I still like it), but I don't see the big upsides to betting the river Ace, and I do see some downsides.

I guess I'll now learn a little bit about limit betting from the responses to this.

PS My biggest problem with the poker forums? If I've got some time to devote to poker, I want to play and the time it takes to read thru the forums would come out of my play time. Although I might learn something, my winning percentage has been high enough so far that I don't find it merits taking time off from winning $ to see if I'm doing it right.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
On a different note, after being very successful at Party Poker, I hit an amazing bad streak. but in every case, it was with me making the ambsolutely corrext play, and getting bad beat (example: I'm playing QJs on the button. All folds, I raise to 3 times the BB, SB and BB call. Flop comes Jc, 3s, 2d. SB checks, BB bets minimum, I go all in - he's table leader with about 5,000, I'm short stacked, SB folds, BB calls - but the all in is for about 1000 over what's now about a 600 pot. He throws over A3h. An A hits and he wins. But he was 20% and he had to know it, but he went in anyway?). So I stopped playing the $11 table and went up to the $22 tables and am back to winning. My rationalle is that all teh advertsing PP is doing is getting more and more idiots and now the $11 taqbles are too highly populated by them to play rationally and not have some moron hit long odds on you.

Slinky I have done the same thing, 11 dollar tables suck, you will find that the 20 do also... I sometimes fold top pair, and pocket pairs, in the 8s 9s or 10s area, it just FEELS like the thing to do. I play alot, and there are definitely weird things going on at PP, not saying that anything is rigged, but there must be some quirks in the software... Ex. I almost always call with Q3, 5 out of 10 times, the flop will be 33K or 33A, I noticed it cause I always try to write down my hand, and the flop... I noticed this weird little thing happening when I got Q3... If I miss the flop, I fold, so its worth it...

slinky,
I think your instinct is right, and it's exactly what I did. I checked. He checked. I showed, he mucked. When I went back to the hand history, I learned that he had Kc Jc!!!!

Aside from the extremely loose play preflop, and the weak-ass flat call on the flop (I mean, what was he HOPING to flop?), I guess his play makes sense. ;)

Makes me wonder whether I should have bet into him on the river... I wonder if he would have called me with his pair of Jacks. Just goes to show how loose (idiotic) some of these online opponents can be. Check-fold is way too weak of a play.

But you're right slinky, more times than not an ace on the river beats me. Check-call seems to be the best play here.

Last edited: