Smoking and lung cancer

Dustin Diamond died 2/1/2021 age 44 — just weeks after being diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung carcinoma — he was a non-smoker of any substances, yet still got lung cancer.

Ed Eisenberg - actor Law & Order SVU ( defense lawyer Roger Kressler on ) and others Age 65
The actor had been battling two forms of cancer ahead of his death: cholangiocarcinoma and ocular melanoma.
Between 10 to 20% of lung cancers are with non-smokes (CDC data). Since historically (although much less now) about 30% of population smoked so this mathematically turns out that it is between 30 to 15 TIMES more likely, respectively, for a smoker to get lung cancer than a non-smoker.
Other contributors to lung cancer rates are secondhand smoke, diesel exhaust, radon gas,and other air pollution.

I know personally (including my father and my aunt) 8 people who were smokers who died of lung cancer, and the last month for each was an unbelievable horror. I don't know of any non-smokers who had lung cancer. One other smoker I knew ended up with oral cancer and they cut out part of her jaw and adjacent mouth area. She lasted a year after that.

Smoking cigarettes is stupid. Find other things to suck on that don't kill you.

pokler

Power Bottom
Between 10 to 20% of lung cancers are with non-smokes (CDC data). Since historically (although much less now) about 30% of population smoked so this mathematically turns out that it is between 30 to 15 TIMES more likely, respectively, for a smoker to get lung cancer than a non-smoker.
Other contributors to lung cancer rates are secondhand smoke, diesel exhaust, radon gas,and other air pollution.

I know personally (including my father and my aunt) 8 people who were smokers who died of lung cancer, and the last month for each was an unbelievable horror. I don't know of any non-smokers who had lung cancer. One other smoker I knew ended up with oral cancer and they cut out part of her jaw and adjacent mouth area. She lasted a year after that.

I'll take your advice but there is one thing I'd rather die that horrible death than suck on .

I'll take your advice but there is one thing I'd rather die that horrible death than suck on .
I was thinking more of an eraser nipple. What were you thinking of?
Ps. there are some pretty disgusting things I would do if it meant avoiding slowly drowning in cancerous fluids invading my lungs.

“Smoking cigarettes is stupid. Find other things to suck on that don't kill you.”

It is possible that the additives and pesticides and other added combustibles and chemicals added to the modern day cigarette are more the culprit, and not the tobacco itself.

I say this because I spent some time with men in the mountains who rolled their own “bidis” (hand-rolled cigarettes wrapped with a tendu leaf, instead of paper, and hand-tied with a thin string)

These men were incessant smokers who climbed the steep mountains with a bidi smoking in their mouth, leaving me in their dust. They were like squirrels, and this was pretty thin air, enough to make this city boy light-headed and wobbly.

These guys were in their 80’s and 90’s, reaching towards the centurion mark. They were rugged and healthy. I had to reassess my views of smoking after living amongst them.

In the 70’s and 80’s, I worked in a typical Manhattan smoke plume office. Secretaries walked in every morning with four packs of cigarettes to get them through the day, and sometimes ran downstairs for another pack. The smoke shop downstairs supplied the big boys with boxes of cigars and bags of pipe tobacco. Not one of them had lung disease.

Yet, some close friends who never smoked and lived clean lives in the same environment as their friends and neighbors suffered from pitiful lung diseases and cancer.

I gave up smoking almost 40 years ago. I finally gave it up after spending a late night smoking and drinking, and mongering. I woke up sick. I pretty much gave up the two former ones in the same morning. But, I held onto the women.

billyS

Reign of Terror
“Smoking cigarettes is stupid. Find other things to suck on that don't kill you.”

It is possible that the additives and pesticides and other added combustibles and chemicals added to the modern day cigarette are more the culprit, and not the tobacco itself.

I say this because I spent some time with men in the mountains who rolled their own “bidis” (hand-rolled cigarettes wrapped with a tendu leaf, instead of paper, and hand-tied with a thin string)

These men were incessant smokers who climbed the steep mountains with a bidi smoking in their mouth, leaving me in their dust. They were like squirrels, and this was pretty thin air, enough to make this city boy light-headed and wobbly.

These guys were in their 80’s and 90’s, reaching towards the centurion mark. They were rugged and healthy. I had to reassess my views of smoking after living amongst them.

In the 70’s and 80’s, I worked in a typical Manhattan smoke plume office. Secretaries walked in every morning with four packs of cigarettes to get them through the day, and sometimes ran downstairs for another pack. The smoke shop downstairs supplied the big boys with boxes of cigars and bags of pipe tobacco. Not one of them had lung disease.

Yet, some close friends who never smoked and lived clean lives in the same environment as their friends and neighbors suffered from pitiful lung diseases and cancer.

I gave up smoking almost 40 years ago. I finally gave it up after spending a late night smoking and drinking, and mongering. I woke up sick. I pretty much gave up the two former ones in the same morning. But, I held onto the women.
How fucking long did it take you to write this?

I moved @genius and @pokler posts out of the other thread around 9:00pm. Your post didn't get added until almost 10:30, well after I moved the post you quoted.

Somehow you must of had already quoted Genius's post back in the RIP thread and was working on your typically long winded (yet entertaining to most) response while I was crafting a new thread.

I picture you sitting at a computer typing away with a corncob pipe clenched between your teeth, much like a book author from the 1950's, finding the exact flowery words to add an air of professionalism to your post.

But by the time you finished (perhaps you took a bathroom break?) the other posts had been moved over an hour ago, leaving your post naked and irrelevant in it's current thread.

When I saw your post this morning I was like "WTF, is he that stupid he didn't see the conversation was moved?" So I just deleted that shit and moved on.

Then later it dawned on me what probably happened so I undeleted it and moved it here.

So @mugi I hope you took the time to read MY long winded explanation, just be more careful going forward.

I moved @genius and @pokler posts out of the other thread around 9:00pm. Your post didn't get added until almost 10:30, well after I moved the post you quoted.

Somehow you must of had already quoted Genius's post back in the RIP thread and was working on your typically long winded (yet entertaining to most) response while I was crafting a new thread.

I picture you sitting at a computer typing away with a corncob pipe clenched between your teeth, much like a book author from the 1950's, finding the exact flowery words to add an air of professionalism to your post.

But by the time you finished (perhaps you took a bathroom break?) the other posts had been moved over an hour ago, leaving your post naked and irrelevant in it's current thread.

When I saw your post this morning I was like "WTF, is he that stupid he didn't see the conversation was moved?" So I just deleted that shit and moved on.

Then later it dawned on me what probably happened so I undeleted it and moved it here.

So @mugi I hope you took the time to read MY long winded explanation, just be more careful going forward.
Do you really think he smokes a corncob pipe? :)

What can I tell you, @billyS, I am an oddball, but a harmless one

I probably started writing, and had to move on to another matter, and picked it up again later.

Thank you for your patience, and rerouting it.

It is my habit to try and be authentic in writing. So, it tends to be more elaborate.

Communication, whether written or spoken, can be easily misconstrued, so I try to be specific. I mean, if I am going to do something, I try and do it with complete attention, and that includes work, sports, communication, or “smoking a corn cob pipe.” (Thanx for that cool image. Made me laugh. Loved it)

I can recall coming home from the bar and laying down in bed .... hearing the gurgling from the tar in my lungs. Smoking is very bad ... smoke free 23 years. At this point - I don't even miss it.

Both parents smoked. My mom developed type 2 diabetes in her early sixties. She was diagnosed with lung cancer in Aug. 2001. It metastasized to her brain and was operated sometime in 2003. She broke her hip and was operated on Jan 2004. In Feb, the cancer spread throughout her body and lived 2 weeks after her 74th birthday in March 2004. Prior to her death, it was like she had dementia.

On the other hand, my father smoked until he quit at age 51 and did so Cold turkey. He suffered a simultaneous stroke and heart attack. I found him unconscious on the kitchen floor. Ambulance took him to the hospital. The doctors gave him 3 to 4 days. He woke up 3 weeks later and was talking. Doc's were amazed. They were scheduling for rehab, but he suffered another stroke. He died 2 weeks later. It took 5 weeks for my dad to succumb these medical events.

My point is smoking will shorten your life and it will be a painful journey before you die. My mom died relatively young, but I believe that if my father didn't quit, then he would have died prematurely as well. Sorry about the long post.