Sleeping Blinds

Pokerstars $15 multitable tourney, relatively early... blinds are 100-200, no antes. After getting my AQ cracked by AJ when a J comes on the river, I become particularly card dead (simply folding two orbits with nothing playable).... I'm doing all I can to stay afloat, raising AA preflop and having everyone fold around to me.... For the most part I think my image is very tight from folding so much.... So it's folded to me in early middle position when I have about 1000 chips and I notice something odd -- BOTH the Small and Big Blinds are "Sitting Out"... which means there's $300 there for the taking. I'm looking at A5o, and even though there are four others yet to act behind me (not including the "sleeping" blinds), I decide to PUSH ALL IN.

What do you think of this play?

Last edited:
Sounds right. Since the table thinks you're tight. Coming all in will probably fold most hands unless someone has a monster. Did you get called bluffing by the table earlier? That could influence some people.

To that point I'd shown down only good hands... I'd made a bluff or two but never showed it and generally thought I was perceived as tight. (I guess one assumption is that my opponents were actually paying attention... and in online poker, maybe that's a doubtful assumption).

Anyway, I looked at it as a short-ish stack's gamble for the $300 blinds, opening up my table image and (if successful) buying myself some time to find a good hand to double up with. I forgot to mention the stack sizes of the four players behind me. Something like 2300, 4500, 1600 and 2400. I thought I was getting called there with AA, KK, QQ, maybe JJ, maybe AK, but really not much more than that.

(Turned out the 4500 stack called me with AJ and out I went, thinking I goofed).

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
I think you already missed the boat. You only have 5x the big blind. At this point there is no such thing as a tight table image. Your image is the extreme short stack and that's it. You said you only expected calls from premium hands. You should get called by any pair, any suited connectors, any face and any A.

At this point you should be pushing with any playable cards and praying for a double up. An A with only 2 live people to act behind you is a dream situation.

Last edited: