"Slander", by Ann Coulter

While it's really no secret that most* of the media feasts on stories that paint "the majority" as evil, sometimes deserved, sometimes not ...

1) have you checked out Coulter's site? Is she expected to be taken seriously when she has galleries of glamour shots of herself on her site?

2) the things discussed in "Slander" are nothing new and have been the topic of a number of books. Anyone can write that book and make easy money with that built-in audience. I guess she was "smart" enough to know that .

*the NY Post is an exception, so much so that it's worth picking up everyday only for it's comedic value

Ann Coulter? (lmao)

If you're gonna spend money and time reading a book, go buy a book by Noam Chomsky or Greg Palast*.... that is, if you wanna read anything that will make you think instead of simply confirming your beliefs.

*http://www.gregpalast.com/

(no glamour shots of Greg on this site, i'm afraid)

Stecchino

Originally posted by Stecchino
If you're gonna spend money and time reading a book, go buy a book by Noam Chomsky or Greg Palast*.... that is, if you wanna read anything that will make you think instead of simply confirming your beliefs.
You are assuming, of course, that I am so insecure in my beliefs that I need confirmation of them.

Wrong-o.

But I don't really need to be exposed any further to leftist drivel, because I am SURROUNDED by them everywhere I look! Have been for years! ALL the major electronic media and print media.

It is the "other side" I had to actually take the initiative and SEEK them out. Stecchino, you may be a better man for taking the same intellectual journey...

Thankfully, radio and the internet has given me mental oxygen-I'm able to recieve the "other" perspective, and weigh the total picture on its merits.

Re: Ann Coulter? (lmao)

If you're gonna spend money and time reading a book, go buy a book by Noam Chomsky or Greg Palast (SNIP...)
Chomsky may be a genius when it comes to linguistic. However, that doesn't mean he knows anything about anything else. If you like his ideas outside of his area of academic expertise fine. OTH, Lots of other folks find him somewhat muddled in his thinking.

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
If the left wing or right wing were left to their own devices they would fly around in circles. Together they can soar straight high and long.

Thank God for compromise and our founding fathers faith in a balanced system.*

* 3/5th compromise excluded

Re: Re: It's like piling on...

Originally posted by oddfellow4870

My favorite example of medis bias was the day that Clinton's cronies were being convicted on 80% of the counts against them in an Arkansas court and CBS ran a piece on the discovery of the lost JFK tapes in the first position. It ran over 10 minutes......
For the record:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with Whitewater:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with Travel Office allegations:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with alleged abuse of FBI files:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/of convicted in connection with Lewinsky matter:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with the Independent Counsel investigation of Interior Secretary Bruce Babbit:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with the Independent Counsel investigation of Labor Secretary Alexis Herman:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with the Independent Counsel investigation of Americorps director Eli Siegal:

Clinton administration officials indicted and/or convicted in connection with the
Independent Counsel investigation of Commerce Secretary Ron Brown:

0 (Investigation abandoned upon Brown's death in nation's service)

Clinton Administration officials convicted in connection with the Independent Counsel investigation of Agriculture Secretary Michael Espy:

0 (Espy acquitted of all charges. Judge sharply rebukes Independent Counsel Donald Smaltz for bringing case in the first place.)

Other:

HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor for misstating to the F.B.I. the amount of money he gave his girlfriend;

Assistant Attorney-General Webster Hubbell convicted of embezzling funds from Rose Law Firm before his federal appointment; that is, stealing from his law partners, including Hillary Rodham Clinton;

Arkansas Governor Jim Guy Tucker, a political rival of Bill Clinton's, convicted on charges involving local television licensing, and nothing at all to do with Clinton;

Jim and Susan McDougal, convicted of crimes in Whitewater matter. In summation to the court, Independent Counsel declares that President Clinton is innocent of wrongdoing.

Reagan administration era convictions in the Iran-contra scandal:

14 (two overturned on appeal)

Reagan officials convicted for illegal lobbying:

2 (Lyn Nofziger, White House political director, convicted to 30 days and $30,000 fine, overturned on appeal; Michael Deaver, White House deputy chief of staff, convicted and $100,000, given probation.)

Reagan officials convicted in Housing and Urban Development department scandal:

Total Reagan era convictions: 32

Bush I pardons of those indicted and/or convicted of Iran-contra crimes:

7 (5 had been convicted, one was about to receive his sentence, and one, Secretary of Defense, Caspar Weinberger was about to stand trial)

Number of charges in untried indictment (pardoned) of Weinberger:

You don't see much reporting of this in the corporate media.

Re: Skagen

Originally posted by Reel Deal
That is another point she makes in her book. But Conservatives/Libertarians have had to endure the Liberal Media Talking Heads for YEARS. Fox arrives, kicks ABC, NBC, CNN, CBS ass with "we report, you decide", and you would think that Hitler succeeded in a governmental coup...
Come on, The MacLaughlin group featuring Pat Buchanan and many other conservatives has been on for over 20 years. William Safire has been writing in the NY Times for even longer. CNN has featured Robert Novak, Buchanan and many other conservative commentators since its inception.

Re: Ann Coulter? (lmao)

*http://www.gregpalast.com/

(no glamour shots of Greg on this site, i'm afraid)
You should add David Brock's "Blinded by the Right" if you want to find out how 'fair and balanced' FOX, the Washington Times, etc. are in reality.

David Brock?

Originally posted by James1701

You should add David Brock's "Blinded by the Right" if you want to find out how 'fair and balanced' FOX, the Washington Times, etc. are in reality.
The same David Brock that Hillary's people threatened to "out" as a gay male conservative-thereby destroying his future in the gay community-if he didn't tow the line? How can you give credibility to a guy who admitted he supposedly "lied" for money as a conservative, but is now telling the truth for the liberals? But, as usual, the libs dumped him after they no longer had any use for him. Marx called them "useful fools".

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: It's like piling on...

Total Reagan era convictions: 32

Bush I pardons of those indicted and/or convicted of Iran-contra crimes:

7 (5 had been convicted, one was about to receive his sentence, and one, Secretary of Defense, Caspar Weinberger was about to stand trial)

Number of charges in untried indictment (pardoned) of Weinberger:

You don't see much reporting of this in the corporate media.
Dude, I don't know where your eyeballs were hiding during these times, but I DO remember this stuff being Front Page fodder just about everyday. Of course, Ronald Reagan was president over 20+ years ago, but the libs still shudder whenever his name is mentioned...I thought elephants never forgot...

Re: Stecchino

It is the "other side" I had to actually take the initiative and SEEK them out. Stecchino, you may be a better man for taking the same intellectual journey...

Actually, i've already taken that journey and that's why i am where i am now. I used to be a "love it or leave it"-type who voted Republican more often than not. After the journey, i realized identifying yourself as either 'liberal' or 'conservative' is akin to wearing a t-shirt that says "i'm with stupid", where the arrow's pointing straight up. All this left-right shit is juvenile and it's a diversion from the real issue(s), and that's that our gov't is and has been among the biggest (if not the biggest) terrorists in the world. All the info is out there....you just have to find it (and more importantly, WANT to find it).

Originally posted by redleg609
Chomsky may be a genius when it comes to linguistic. However, that doesn't mean he knows anything about anything else. If you like his ideas outside of his area of academic expertise fine. OTH, Lots of other folks find him somewhat muddled in his thinking.
That's fine. I'm not saying to read AND agree with the things Chomsky, Palast, or anyone else says, but at least know what they're saying. They're not about left and right, more like right and wrong. Palast has incredible confidential documents and equally blasts 'liberal' and 'conservative' politicans with FACTS, not left or right whining. I think they're worth the time.....especially if one has the time to read a book by Ann Coulter for cryin out loud.

Re: Re: Stecchino

Actually, i've already taken that journey and that's why i am where i am now. I used to be a "love it or leave it"-type who voted Republican more often than not. After the journey, i realized identifying yourself as either 'liberal' or 'conservative' is akin to wearing a t-shirt that says "i'm with stupid", where the arrow's pointing straight up. All this left-right shit is juvenile and it's a diversion from the real issue(s), and that's that our gov't is and has been among the biggest (if not the biggest) terrorists in the world. All the info is out there....you just have to find it (and more importantly, WANT to find it).
Then we must have passed each other on our respective journies.

I was a neo-commie in college in the 70's, an anti-war freak. I voted for HHH. Loved Eldredge Cleaver, H. Rap Brown, the Black Panthers, the Weathermen, and their ilk. But I experienced inconsistancies from the left (George Wallace a Democrat?), and saw consistancies from the right . But became totally comfortable with Libertarians.

My journey is not dissimilar to David Horowitz's in "Radical Son".

Our government being the world's biggest terrorist is the real issue? We agree there. I am terrified everytime they bend me over and take my wallet to pay for some hair-brained scheme...

Last edited:
Re: David Brock?

The same David Brock that Hillary's people threatened to "out" as a gay male conservative-thereby destroying his future in the gay community-if he didn't tow the line? How can you give credibility to a guy who admitted he supposedly "lied" for money as a conservative, but is now telling the truth for the liberals? But, as usual, the libs dumped him after they no longer had any use for him. Marx called them "useful fools".
I love it when an arguement starts off with a total lie. Read Brock's book and you'll see that he is a man trying to clear his conscience. And also read The Betrayal of America by Vincent Bugliosi, who is hardy a liberal, and see his thoughts about who really controls the media.

Re: Re: David Brock?

Read Brock's book and you'll see that he is a man trying to clear his conscience.
And you read Horowitz's book-he's a guy clearing his conscience, too.

What a great country we live in. Our republic form of democracy works better than any form of government ever. It gives you and me a chance to disagree, whether openly or anonymously, and no jack-booted thugs will come knocking on our door.

However, unless you live in the same state, district, and precinct as I do, our votes do not cancel each other out. That makes the people where I live more like me, and those where you live more like you. So, unless you are Hillary, that means (for better or worse) my representative is like me, and yours is like you.

Remain forever vigilant in your beliefs.

RD
I May Not Always Right, but I'm Never in Doubt

P.S. I used to live on Long Island-briefly-in the mid-70's. I can tell you the folks there did not understand a Southerner, and I did not understand them. But one 1st generation Italian immigrant girlie showed me her Mama's lasagna recipe (ummmmm....), and I made her collard greens, black-eyed peas, and smothered fried country steak-her first time for those. THAT is an exchange of real culture...

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Re: Re: Re: David Brock?

But one 1st generation Italian immigrant girlie showed me her Mama's lasagna recipe (ummmmm....), and I made her collard greens, black-eyed peas, and smothered fried country steak-her first time for those. THAT is an exchange of real culture...
Did she show you anything else?

Re: Re: Re: Re: David Brock?

Originally posted by pjorourke

Did she show you anything else?
Let's just say that we didn't have ~real~ I-Talian girls where I grew up. Your last name was usually Smith, Brown, or Jones. I don't recall one Anna Maria Petrucelli in the bunch.

I still laugh out loud remembering how I got her to say, "How're Y'all" in an Italian accent. She loved my accent. She'd say "Talk me some more South, Boy".

<Waxing nostalgically>Ahh...memories of my impetuous youth...

Re: Re: Re: David Brock?

And you read Horowitz's book-he's a guy clearing his conscience, too.

What a great country we live in. Our republic form of democracy works better than any form of government ever. It gives you and me a chance to disagree, whether openly or anonymously, and no jack-booted thugs will come knocking on our door.

However, unless you live in the same state, district, and precinct as I do, our votes do not cancel each other out. That makes the people where I live more like me, and those where you live more like you. So, unless you are Hillary, that means (for better or worse) my representative is like me, and yours is like you.

Remain forever vigilant in your beliefs.

RD
[

Well on this I am in total agreement with you.