Shooting at midtown poker club

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
If the cops raid the place, handcuff all the patrons, interview them one by one and lean on them, specifically ask them "how did you get into this place", what odds do you want to take a bet on that at least several give the names of who got them in? (some of them perhaps guys who you got in?).
Much lower than you think. Most of the guys I know from these clubs got in because they were members at the previous club, and the club before that. Hell, I found out about the last club because I was on a mailing list.

Realistically, the cops have no interest in busting the players and if they tried, I don't know how much water this particular argument would hold. I don't imagine that any DA would want to try to convince a jury that a guy was guilty of inviting his friend to a poker game.

Much lower than you think. Most of the guys I know from these clubs got in because they were members at the previous club, and the club before that. Hell, I found out about the last club because I was on a mailing list.

Realistically, the cops have no interest in busting the players and if they tried, I don't know how much water this particular argument would hold. I don't imagine that any DA would want to try to convince a jury that a guy was guilty of inviting his friend to a poker game.
And that's why they don't actually do it, just like they don't take the Johns in when they bust Brothels or underground clubs. But it doesn't mean they can't, and guys who do go to these places are better off going in knowing what the risks are than thinking "Oh, nothing to worry about, it's comletely legal and I have no exposure". That was the point.

Also, you never know when it's going to change and someone becomes the test case. Remember, in other places outside of NYC, they DO bring the Johns in; you never know for sure what's in the future with this stuff.

And that's why they don't actually do it, just like they don't take the Johns in when they bust Brothels or underground clubs. But it doesn't mean they can't, and guys who do go to these places are better off going in knowing what the risks are than thinking "Oh, nothing to worry about, it's comletely legal and I have no exposure". That was the point.

Also, you never know when it's going to change and someone becomes the test case. Remember, in other places outside of NYC, they DO bring the Johns in; you never know for sure what's in the future with this stuff.
I also don't think they take the players in because there is less fear among poker players getting booked for poker playing than Johns getting booked for soliciting prostitutes. I mean, I tell my wife, I got busted for poker playing and she'll bitched that the cops don't have anything better to do. I tell her I got busted for sleeping with a prostitute, well, then there's holy hell for me to pay. There's a different stigma attached to each activity.

Another bullshit bust

http://www.1010wins.com/AUDIO:-Gambling-Raid-Nets-9-Arrests-on-Long-Island/1190771

Click play on the feature audio on the right to hear some ridiculous quotes:

".....texas hold 'em, an illegal gambling operation in NY state"

"they have lost everything....they're losing their shirts"

"8 high end poker operations....."

"playing a popular but illegal game"

So they busted 8 "high end" operations and only seized $10,000 total?! I wouldn't exactly call a place that has an average of $1,250 on hand anything thats shirt-losing-worthy. I play in a $35 buy in tournament that has that amount distributed to the top 5 every Friday. It is hardly a high end operation.

Suffolk Raids Poker Halls

Little did I know that in a nearby industrial park (and others through out Suffolk) that there were (gasp and shocked look on Genius's face!) poker games going on! (I'll spare everyone the usual quote from Casablanca- but wouldnt it be a kick if SPD had a Captain Renault).

I feel sooo much safer now that I know Suffolk's men in blue are on the job and risking their lives( I heard one of the cops got a paper cut while picking up the cards) to keep me and my family safe .

The link is below if you can stomach reading it in light of the tax dollars spent during the raid and will be spent in the future legal system.

I wonder what excuse the DA can use now - maybe forced labor Asian illegals were used as card shufflers working long hours to pay off their transport debts from China?

http://www.newsday.com/services/new...sland/ny-liraid095452797nov09,0,5802528.story

..."No players were arrested because gambling laws only apply to those profiting from the gambling business, Spota said."
Isn't winning considered profiting from gambling?
The problem is that when the police raid the place, all chips are confiscated as evidence. Therefore there's no way to tell which players are winning or losing.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Isn't winning considered profiting from gambling?
No. The law defines "Profit from gambling activity." as the following:
(Note the part in bold.)
A person "profits from gambling activity" when, other than as a player, he accepts or receives money or other property pursuant to an agreement or understanding with any person whereby he participates or is to participate in the proceeds of gambling activity.