Rusty Nail

Although I'm not a scotch drinker I love a rusty nail.
Fucking Drambuie is so expensive!
I usually drink Bourbon, so I wondered if there was a bourbon analogy to a rusty nail.
I found a liqueur called Jeremiah Weed, 100 proof, $15 for 750 at Henry Street.
Mix it 1/1 with Ezra Brooks (or your favorite Kentucky spirit, but not with a sour mash whiskey) and there's your American Rusty nail. What should it be called?

Last edited:
With no disrestect intended - I really don't give a shit what it is called or should be called. Drink WTF you want. And Drambuie isn't all that expensive - it's your basic sweet shit like Amaretto, Frangelico, Sambuca, etc.

I was drinking Jeremiah Weed and Rusty Nails when I still had my training wheels on. Weed is a little like Yukon Jack and both have are similar to Drambuie in sweetness. They can also be had in any liquor store. There's only two reasons why you would be drinking a Rusty Nail in my book is.... 1) if you only have really shitty scotch and 2) when you're too much a fucking sissy to drink the good stuff straight.

With no disrestect intended - I really don't give a shit what it is called or should be called. Drink WTF you want. And Drambuie isn't all that expensive - it's your basic sweet shit like Amaretto, Frangelico, Sambuca, etc.
If you don't think $40 per litre is expensive, more power to you.

I was drinking Jeremiah Weed and Rusty Nails when I still had my training wheels on. Weed is a little like Yukon Jack and both have are similar to Drambuie in sweetness. They can also be had in any liquor store. There's only two reasons why you would be drinking a Rusty Nail in my book is.... 1) if you only have really shitty scotch and 2) when you're too much a fucking sissy to drink the good stuff straight.
The first time I drank straight high octane was 100 proof Southern Comfort. Sweet and flavored. Very easy to drink, so smooth. That led to Jack, then other whiskey, bourbon, rye. Then Irish. Then Tequila. Never Scotch, I haven't acquired the taste.

WORD Try some Bunnahabhain Malt Trust Single Malt Scotch Whisky 17 year old Cask Strength ...or the 26 yr old
OMG SO SO SO GOOD

Southern Comfort is like Yukon Jack. And both come in regular and high octane. Yukon might have a little more kick and a bit more smooth. In my crazy days I'd drink double shots of Jack Daniels with a Yukon chaser. If I wanted to be the life of the party or keep my dick hard all night I'd throw a little coke (and I don't mean cola) in the Jack.

Hey JL - I am not proud of post #2 so if should disappear . . .
And to Oldfool - a very gentlemanly response - Much appreciated and a lesson learned (I hope).

Oldfool - My New Year's resolution is to not be an asshole at least once a week. It will be difficult for me. I might even try a Rusty Nail. But I am not going to ruin good scotch.

That's about the same price for all those popular cordials... B&B, Grand Marnier, Galliano.
Holy shit...Galliano!
Haven't heard of that in a while!
Does Harvey still bang the wall? Someone should turn him on to UG.

These are high end cordials. Popular brands of cognac are also in this price range. But much less are Kahlua, Yukon Jack, Sambuca, Weed, Amaretto, and all the generics.

Oldfool - My New Year's resolution is to not be an asshole at least once a week. It will be difficult for me. I might even try a Rusty Nail. But I am not going to ruin good scotch.
I never mix a top end spirit, except with ice.
I laugh when people order Jack and Coke (not that Jack is high end, but it's still twice the price of Evan Williams but indistinguishable mixed with Coke) or, when Chivas was the best scotch available in liquor stores, Chivas and Ginger ale.
Maybe I should contain my laughter, I guess some people can tell the difference. Not the people I'm laughing at, though.

Holy shit...Galliano!
Haven't heard of that in a while!
Does Harvey still bang the wall? Someone should turn him on to UG.

These are high end cordials. Popular brands of cognac are also in this price range. But much less are Kahlua, Yukon Jack, Sambuca, Weed, Amaretto, and all the generics.

But none of those are as good as B&B, Drambuie, GM or Galliano and they're also not imported from overseas like B&B, GM (France), Drambuie (Scotland) and Galliano (Italy). Yukon is Canadian, Weed is Kentucky, Kahlua (Mexico) and generic Sambuca and Amaretto is mostly domestic. I think even Di Sorrano is bottled locally now.

And I wouldn't use Grey Goose as a paint thinner let alone drink it. Besides the fact it's French and it tastes like shit (which is why most pretentious asswipes who drink it do so mixed to bury the taste)... it's one of the spirits that's grossly over priced. If you're gonna drink a vodka besides Russian, make it Finnish, Swedish, Polish or Czech. There's some Polish vodkas that are about as good as the best Russian.

I never mix a top end spirit, except with ice.
I laugh when people order Jack and Coke (not that Jack is high end, but it's still twice the price of Evan Williams but indistinguishable mixed with Coke) or, when Chivas was the best scotch available in liquor stores, Chivas and Ginger ale.
Maybe I should contain my laughter, I guess some people can tell the difference. Not the people I'm laughing at, though.
I can tell Jack Daniels almost by smell. I've sent back Jack cause it was watered down or switched in the bottle with Gentleman Jack which shit bar do cause it's cheaper but the same color. I'll drink it mixed cause if I start drinking it straight I never stop. Wild Turkey for example which is similar priced and as good as Jack is a lighter color and a sweeter smell. But for some reason Turkey doesn't mix as well. And don't even start me on the green label Jack no nothings rave about cause it's hard to find north of the Mason Dixon... It's weaker so you have to drink 4 green to every 3 of the black label to get equally drunk.

Last edited:
btw.. speaking of Wild Turkey... they make a good cordial refined from the bourbon. It tastes a little like B&B but has that Turkey bourbon aftertaste. Not easy to find but a large chain should have it. Relatively cheap too ($15 litre)

And I wouldn't use Grey Goose as a paint thinner let alone drink it. Besides the fact it's French and it tastes like shit (which is why most pretentious asswipes who drink it do so mixed to bury the taste)... it's one of the spirits that's grossly over priced. If you're gonna drink a vodka besides Russian, make it Finnish, Swedish, Polish or Czech. There's some Polish vodkas that are about as good as the best Russian.
There's an American Vodka I saw advertised in the NYT as having high ratings...Tito's, or something like that. Moderately priced, I tasted it, tastes like other vodkas to me.