Reviews and disappointment

Such a literary group

Wow. Men of letters. Stately, plump Buck Mulligan ascended the stairhead...

I am a writer, i.e., I have made what passes for a living at the writing trade for several years now. This and $2.06 has been known to get me a cup of coffee. And I have usually not been able to rely on my income as a writer to provide me with the $2.06... Before flame wars commence, note the lack of modifier; I did not claim to be a good writer.

I struggle with the issue of writing reviews. I have written a fair number under various aliases--never came up with a handle witty enough to commit to--and I've never been really satisfied. Maybe it's a trap I'm creating for myself.

In most writing, you need to know your audience. For the most part--and this board appears to be a refreshing exception--hobbyists want names, ranks, serial (phone) numbers, accurate pics and BBBJs (maybe oh maybe TC...) Not necessarily in that order. And not a lot else.

It is, I would say, a fact-driven set of needs.

Please don't take offense humble narrator, but I can't follow your excerpt. I'm lost. It's literate and literary, but what would my experience with this natalie be? Would there be any commas? Is she putting on a dramatic amount of weight in a short period of time?

That's why I opt for a fact-driven approach. But then, I'm torn. I don't like giving away too many details. Maybe I'm saving it for my great american novel. Part of me likes to keep a few things private. What if I post something intimate that makes it clear which John is me? What if the provider reads it? What if, and I know some will laugh at me for this, but what if she doesn't do BBBJTC and a bag of chips for everyone? Will I have created an expectation on the part of others that she won't want to fulfill? Will that lead to further trouble? Will I ever get it again, or will I be cut off for having been a blabbermouth...

I never thought about taking the shameless self-promotion route and exchanging flowery reviews for sexual favors. I sense the motives would be transparent. (But I'm willing to be bought, ladies.)

Anyway, my humble contribution to this thread is that Joyce was a genius. I'm not operating at his pitch. I think it's fair to say that most of us aren't. But when I settle in with Dubliners and I want to read The Dead I am seeking out a much different experience than when I'm trolling JAG looking for someone who's ready, willing and able within the span of time required to satisfy my increasingly pressing primal urges.

That said, I don't think I've ever encountered a board where a discussion like this could blossom. Thx.

justme

homo economicus
God, I remember a time when this kind of intellectual slop was the norm over in JAGland (although Slinky would note that absence makes the heart grown fonder).

As this thread winds down toward its natural conclusion, I'm pleased to find us discussing literature rather than that other UG end-of-thread topic, favorite deli sandwiches.
As for the nature of reviews, I agree that the preferred approach should be that of journalism rather than belles-lettres.

I used to write a lot of reviews. I think I was accurate, and I took into mind YMMV. I've been lucky with ones who get fair ratings and almost always unlucky with the ones who get great ratings.

I quit writing reviews a few years ago -- well, I'm not as indiscriminate as I used to be, let's put it that way. Too many times I've been called, emailed, and worse, confronted in a public area by a disgruntled reviewee.

After a particularly harrowing confrontation in a Starbucks, I pretty much stopped.

But I agree, most of us are aware they have access to reviews, and worse, they can figure out who we are. When I do write them, I enter with great caution. But even changing locations, times -- I've been outed.

They're watching us. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Crowe aka Social Register.