Review-Standing in the Shadows of Motown

pswope

One out of three
If you're a fan of R&B, the great Motown years, a musician,or simply a fan of any music,this is a must see.

A documentary about the Funk Bros, the house Motown studio band that provided the engine to a plethora of great soul music,which revolutionized and mainstreamed black music in the 60's and 70's.

The Funk Bros were a multi-racial group of primarily jazz musicians,recruited by Berry Gordy and provided the beats and texture for some of the greatest American music ever.

It was posited that so great was their groove that any lamo coulda sang in front of them and had a hit. To demonstrate the point, they layered the various pieces of Ain't to Proud to Beg and then had the very mediocre Ben Harper sing it. It still would been a hit.

The movie is a mixture of a concert with interviews and some historical footage.

Other performers include Chaka Khan (who did justice to What's Goin on), Gerald Levert (excellent 2nd tier soul singer),Bootsy Collins, and Joan Osborne.

I'd post what theatre it's at,but I get banned.

Last edited:
Re:SITSOM

Before I started reading about the film I had only heard of bassist James Jamerson(whose biography inspired the film) and drummer Benny Benjamin.Jamerson was deservedly in the first group of sidemen inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a couple of years ago,but it's good to see the rest of the Funk Brothers get their props.Some of the anecdotes are priceless,and even the TV style re-enactments are tastefully done.The social issues of the 60s are addressed in an appropriate,understated way only as they personally affected these musicians and the music they played.

You don't have to be a Rhythm Review listener to enjoy this movie.

Personal favorite=Archival footage of then young guitarist Joe Messina,who played on the Soupy Sales Show,taking a solo heavily influenced by Charlie Christian.

Last edited:

pswope

One out of three
My fave was where Jamerson's son was discussing how his father picked up the beats for his bass lines ,including the sound he imagined a huge old booty would make when it went bumpin down the street. Great to see the props that respected musician/producers (eg Don Was) gave to Jamerson and the others.

I hope these guys tour ala the Buena Vista Club, so they can really get their due.