Restaurants

Thought it was time to stop futzing around and actually start a restaurant review thread.

WD50

Last night a lucky stripper got taken to WD50.

I went with some trepidations. Contrary to what you might think, my preferences in food lean toward the basic and the traditional. WD50's concept, OTOH, is to serve food as unorthodox as Wylie Dufresne and his ragtag band can come up with.

I'm happy to report that it mainly works.

The appetizer I had is probably the prototypical WD50 dish. Probably you've never thought of combining anchovies, foie gras, and toasted coconut. But you'd be shocked at how good the combination tastes, the slight saltiness of the (fresh) anchovies complimenting the richness of the foie gras (with the coconut contributing nothing but texture as far as I could tell).

My entree* was a bit of a comedown from that. I had pork belly in a soy-based sauce. The quality of the meat itself was very high, but the preparation wasn't a patch on the fabulous lacquered pork belly served at 66 or, for that matter, the wonderful braised pork belly in brown sauce on the menu of every Shanghainese restaurant in town. This suggests that, at least right now, when Wylie Dufresne isn't being weird he isn't that interesting.

The superstar dish, however, was my companion's monkfish entree. I don't remember what it was cooked with, but the fish was given a woody, almost smoky taste. This dish was addictive: I actually long to go back and have more.

With desserts, the quest for novelty appeared to hit a sort of dead end. I had a cumquat confit with sesame ice cream that, while perfectly good, didn't scale any heights. My companion had a turnip cake which, perhaps thankfully, appeared to taste mainly of butter. I don't know about you, but I can't see ordering something called a turnip cake for dessert.

Portions are small. The wine list is "interesting". Cocktails (or at least the Silver King I had) are good but not great like at Town, DB, or 66.

I should say something nice about our waitress. She was enthusiastic and informative without being overbearing or cloying. The kind of balance that isn't struck too frequently around here.

Last edited:

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
current odds:

2 to 1- JL

3 to 1 -HvB

10 to 1 -Slinky

15 to 1 -Cloud Nine (for constantly posting the odds changes)

20 to 1 -justme

10,000 to 1- wsb

1,000,000 to 1- mopar

I went to Po' Folks Sunday night.

All the fried chicken you can eat for $5.99. Nothing like pink lemonade from a Mason jar. Had turnip greens, black-eyed peas, sweet slaw, and cornbread with butter and honey.

Even though the waitress seemed confused about verb tense, she could juggle 4 plates at the same time, and looked cute in jeans and a western plaid shirt.

I can finally feel my blood thinning out.

;^)

Originally posted by justlooking
The superstar dish, however, was my companion's monkfish entree.
Gee, I never heard it called that before!

(Before we all derail the thread with jokes though I want to mention that I think this is a great off topic idea, and I hope others will join in with real content...)

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Cloud Nine
20 to 1 -justme
You missed a few 0's.

(I'm no foodie, I just like food. I couldn't name more than 10 executive chefs in Houston)

((I just tried and got no higher than 8))

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
There hasn't been a decent "all you can eat" in NYC in 20 years (that I'm aware of). And they almost always make you pay for refills of iced tea here, too.

justme

homo economicus
Fine.

Last night:

BBQ takeout from Lulling City Market, which is a dumbed down version of one of the best BBQ restauraunts in Texas (and hence, the world). The original is located in (surprise) Lulling, TX and should be a must stop for anyone driving from Houston to San Antonio (provided they will be in S.A. long enough to get sick of that city's excellent Texican).

Anyway: Brisket of beef was not quite tender enough to be great, but it was passable. The pork ribs were consistant with the beef and I probably should have just skipped them. The links are some of the best that I've had in Texas, with real texture and a casing with serious substance. They are spiced perfectly to compliment the rather unorthodox (I swear that there's apricot) sauce which is fruity, yet not sweet at all, and hast just the right amount of heat to make it intersting but not overbearing. The highlight (as always) was the chicken, which is always juicy, tender, and perfectly spiced. If it's sacralige to eat poultry in a BBQ joint, then send me to hell because Lulling's chicken & sauce is about as close as I've come to white meat nirvana.

Beans were good and spicey but uninteresting and the potato salad could have come from Luby's. But I'm of the opinion that sides should be doled out conservatively when eating BBQ.

Anyway, traeted my parents and just-graduated brother to dinner for $35. Not bad.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Actually, does anyone know of the restaurant equivalent of a PMB, a site fully devoted to eating out with reviews, sections for different cities and so forth. That would be useful and seems like the sort of thing that must exist on the net, but I don't know of one off the top of my head. Of course, I can always google, but maybe one of the UG gourmets can suggest the best such site.

-Ww

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Wwanderer
Actually, does anyone know of the restaurant equivalent of a PMB, a site fully devoted to eating out with reviews, sections for different cities and so forth. That would be useful and seems like the sort of thing that must exist on the net, but I don't know of one off the top of my head. Of course, I can always google, but maybe one of the UG gourmets can suggest the best such site.

-Ww
Doesn't Citysearch allow for reader reviews? I am alittle surprised that there aren't 'hard core' sites out there where people make thousands of posts, not just reviews.

Radius, Boston,,,, Excellent food and service.

TheFed,,, almost as good as the Radius but if your into wines... its yet another great Boston restruant.