Reference Thread: Congressional Representation & Obama

RULES OF THIS THREAD:

This is a special reference thread that will lend clarity to our regular threads in this forum, which are almost completely opinion threads.

No opinions will be tolerated in this thread. Opinion posts will be deleted without warning. The moderator of this forum will be the sole arbiter of what constitutes fact.

This thread is limited to facts relating to congressional representation during the Obama administration.

Examples of posts:
ALLOWED: Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House when the Affordable Care Act was passed.
FORBIDDEN: Senator XYZ is crazy batshit.

If you cannot abide by these rules, do not use this thread.

----

I am starting this thread in reference to another where the composition of Congress was called into question, specifically, how long did the Democrats control congress when Obama was elected.

The next post will summarize federal records on the matter.

---

This thread will be locked until I have completed the second post.

Last edited:
President Obama was elected in 2008. However, he was not sworn in until 1/20/2009. For purposes of argument this will be the first day of the Obama administration. Some could argue he could have worked with Congress before this date but to make this presentation as palatable as possible to both side of the political spectrum, this date will be used as the start of the Obama administration.

The Senate has been in the hands of the Democrats from the beginning of the Obama administration until now. Just the House has changed hands.

Let's examine the House.

The 111th Congress began on 1/6/2009 per http://www.senatedotgov/reference/Sessions/sessionDates.htm. The 111th House predated the Obama administration by less than a month and consisted of 256 Democrats and 178 Republicans and 1 vacancy per http://artandhistory.housedotgov/congress/112/2010election.pdf (scroll to the last page).

The 111th Congress consisted of 2 terms.
The first term from 1/6/2009 - 12/23/2009.
The second term was from 1/5/2010 - 12/22/2010.

Looking at the above we can say Obama had 2 terms of Congress with a Democratic majority.

The 112th Congress began on 1/5/2011, controlled by the Republicans.

---
If you have factual corrections, amendments, or clarifications, you are welcome to add them.

Last edited:
Fact, I like this thread. I don't participate in the political threads because of the lack of facts, just BS. I wish you success in your thread Duck.