Public wireless internet access

My cell runs windows mobile and i got a program from the web called windows mobile wifi router from one of the developers sites. basically .. i start it up.. it connects the phone to my carrier and then turns my cell into a wireless router . i cruise with the laptop at 3g speeds. if you go into your wifi options you can add encryption too i think.. though i havent done it myself because i usually only use it in the middle of nowhere where no one will be around. your phone will have to have wifi capability.

My cell runs windows mobile and i got a program from the web called windows mobile wifi router from one of the developers sites. basically .. i start it up.. it connects the phone to my carrier and then turns my cell into a wireless router . i cruise with the laptop at 3g speeds. if you go into your wifi options you can add encryption too i think.. though i havent done it myself because i usually only use it in the middle of nowhere where no one will be around. your phone will have to have wifi capability.
Here's a link to such software:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-mobile-wi-fi-router.html

Anyone on the road that much should consider investing in the above technologies. If you have a mac you could buy an airport mini and when you're in a hotel use a hard wire if they provide one and plug that into the airport. With your mac set up to wirelessly connect to the airport, you'd have a secure connection.

But in general, I'd never use a wi-fi spot and log into any site. That's one reason I have an iphone :)

Never do your shopping or banking, or any other sensitive stuff on public wifi and always have a good firewall and the rest of your security software up to date, and you should be safe.