Public wireless internet access

I read the other day that anyone with a half brain can easily get relatively simple software to spy on people using wireless hotspots for internet access. Since I travel a fair bit, I log on a lot in hotels, airport lounges, coffee houses etc. Most hotels have free internet access, if they cater to business travelers. I am wondering if anyone here knows of a good way to secure this connection. I guess I can sign up for an anonymizer.com account and surf privately but that still leaves my email exposed, which is not web-based. I am also moderately concerned about leaving a trace on the hotspot infrastructure when I do mongering research and I do not use a proxy server of some sort. Any thoughts?

Just make sure you have firewall software installed on your PC. Also, turn off file sharing, rename the administrator account (to adminadmin, or something like that) and change the admin password. This is different that then regular user account. Keep windows firewall up. Its an ok firewall software that comes with the OS. Keeping in mind that this is windows instead of Mac.

I agree with Sidekicks! It is very important that you change the admin password.
FYI-That reminds me-it is easy to get into anyone’s computer in safe-mode under the administrator-Most people log in with a password when they start their computer in regular mode-BUT if u start your computer in safe mode and hit enter on the admin log in-well...ur in!
Once u create a "user" the computer does not display administrator any more in regular mode and the only time u see it is when your in safe mode! A lot of people forget and never set a password for the admin!

Last edited:
But that's not really my issue. I am not so concerned about people trying to hack into shit on my laptop (maybe I should be) but what they see between my computer and the hotspot. Like I said, I understand one can pretty much view anything that passes through a public hotspot.

justme

homo economicus
If I'm not mistaken, the decision to use encryption (WEP, etc.) is router-side, not client side, so if the service you're using is running an unencrypted connection, I'm not sure what you can do.

Verizon just released a fairly neat little device that acts as a cellular Wi-Fi router. That is, the device hooks up to the internet via a Verizon (3G) connection. Then, up to five devices can share that internet connection via standard Wi-Fi signals (802.g?). I'm guessing you can choose to encrypt all those signals, but I do not know for a fact. The plan is something like $60 per month gets you 5 gigs.

But that's not really my issue. I am not so concerned about people trying to hack into shit on my laptop (maybe I should be) but what they see between my computer and the hotspot. Like I said, I understand one can pretty much view anything that passes through a public hotspot.
Hi sexy SirF,
Yes I understand that was not your issue-but it reminded me of back door (no pun intended) and I just wanted to share!
The Best of Luck!
Superwoman01
XO

Hi sexy SirF,
Yes I understand that was not your issue-but it reminded me of back door (no pun intended) and I just wanted to share!
The Best of Luck!
Superwoman01
XO
Superwoman - I'd share my back door with you any time.....

thanks for sharing....

Last edited:
probably not what you were looking for because it it not free, but if you are looking for a signal while out and about, the new MIFI service being touted by Verizon. Looks real promising:

Probably the safest way to get on the internet when out and about is the use of an air card that plugs into your usb port or PC Express card slot. That way you don't need a WiFi spot at all. It works any where your cell phone works. It is quite expensive at about $60/month for 5 gigs of data, not really useful when downloading a lot of ITunes or YouTube.

These days many of us have unlimited data plans with cell phone carriers. If any of you have heard about "tethering" you know what I'm talking about. Basically what it is using your cell phone to connect to Internet on your laptop or netbook via usb or bluetooth. Google the word tethering associated with your phone model (ex:tethering iphone) should bring you some results how to do this workaround since phone companies wouldn't like you to know this.

This is for the Iphone:

http://lifehacker.com/5086490/the-best-way-to-tether-your-iphone-to-your-laptop-for-free

Hi SirF,
I agree with Elmo and xcalibur, you can purchase a wifi card periodically and you could be parked in your car anywhere and go on-line and surf!
http://lifehacker.com/5253767/wefi-for-android-makes-finding-free-wi+fi-easier

Tethering is GREAT! You can use a pdanet app so that you do not have to use a proxy. I also want to remind you that tethering drains the battery very fast and will sit you back approx. $30 a month.
There are many benefits to tethering your modem to your laptop. You no longer have to hunt around for free WiFi hotspots. You also don't have to worry about WiFi security. Since your line is private and tied to your carrier, no one can sniff your data or read your passwords. In fact, while tethering from your cell phone, you can turn your laptop's hardware WiFi radio switch off.

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

NOW as for the hot spots- WHEW!
I would research the RIP provisions and here are some of my "BACK TO THE BASIC'S" suggestions that are always useful. (SirF & for those who are already familiar with these suggestions I decided to list them for anyone who may not be computer friendly…wink..wink!)

Install a Firewall, Disable Wi-Fi Ad-hoc Mode (When in a hot spot you may pick up other Wi-Fi networks that you do not want to access or allow access to your laptop.) Disable File & Printer Sharing, Make Folders Private, Password Protect Your Files, Require Encrypted Passwords for WiFi Access and disabling the SSID broadcast. By default, all Wi-Fi base stations broadcast their presence -- known as the Service Set Identifier (SSID) -- to anyone within range. It's a call sign. You can reconfigure the base station to not broadcast the SSID -- somewhat like a stealth mode. When you access Web pages or send email over a Wi-Fi network those transmissions are sent "in the clear." In the clear means that a sophisticated and determined hacker could grab that information right out of the air and capture your emails and Web page requests. This is also the case when using Wi-Fi at your local coffee shop. So use a Secure Socket Layer or SSL) Ok my ideas may be a little outdated but it is never hurts to have a checklist! LOL!
P: S definitely read Elmo’s “Evil Twin Link”

Lets discuss the "old" Magic Jack and how it tethers to ones laptop? Any opinions on the “old” Magic Jack? I know there may be an outdated thread on this but I was wondering if any improvements have been made and would it be considered another resource these days?

This is a little off topic-I just would like to share a "recession saving money tip"... Meanwhile, the cost of calls overseas is pretty high. If you have a Skype account you can SkypeOut for 2.1 cents a minute to the western world. Then a free iphone app called Fring integrates your skype account and allows calls over wifi. Fring basically turns your iphone into a $100+ wifi phone, and 2.1cents per/minute is a 6000+% saving over most companies’ standard rates.
OMG, we should have a cost cutters thread & tips for gadgets section! HA! For example-Question: How to save your gadget when it drops in the toilet? (Answer-soak it in uncooked rice! HA!)
Have a great day!
XO

Last edited:
The thing about tethering is that it only gives you dial up speeds (as you would expect using a telephone network) while air cards give you speeds approaching cable speeds (well slow cable), and not every cell phone is capable of tethering and not every plan allows you to tether even if your cell phone is capable of it. And unless you have an unlimited plan you pay for minutes used (I don't think any tethering plan allows you to use Faves or friends and family for tethering.

Magicjack is a dud! Google it and read the many reviews. Almost without exception, they are all negative. If you have a dedicated computer on a fast cable connection that is also dedicated to this one use, you might get acceptable results with Magicjack.

VOIP is almost always cheaper then POTS (plain old telephone service). Cable speed seems to be the key as to the quality of your phone service. Verizon FIOS VOIP seems to be the best choice quality wise.

well I have a Samsung Ace on Sprint with Sprint sero plan with unlimited everything which i pay about $35 a month (don't ask how i got that) and tethering doesn't give me dial up speeds.

Hi SirF,
I agree with Elmo and xcalibur, you can purchase a wifi card periodically and you could be parked in your car anywhere and go on-line and surf!
http://lifehacker.com/5253767/wefi-for-android-makes-finding-free-wi+fi-easier

Tethering is GREAT! You can use a pdanet app so that you do not have to use a proxy. I also want to remind you that tethering drains the battery very fast and will sit you back approx. $30 a month.
There are many benefits to tethering your modem to your laptop. You no longer have to hunt around for free WiFi hotspots. You also don't have to worry about WiFi security. Since your line is private and tied to your carrier, no one can sniff your data or read your passwords. In fact, while tethering from your cell phone, you can turn your laptop's hardware WiFi radio switch off.

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

NOW as for the hot spots- WHEW!
I would research the RIP provisions and here are some of my "BACK TO THE BASIC'S" suggestions that are always useful. (SirF & for those who are already familiar with these suggestions I decided to list them for anyone who may not be computer friendly…wink..wink!)

Install a Firewall, Disable Wi-Fi Ad-hoc Mode (When in a hot spot you may pick up other Wi-Fi networks that you do not want to access or allow access to your laptop.) Disable File & Printer Sharing, Make Folders Private, Password Protect Your Files, Require Encrypted Passwords for WiFi Access and disabling the SSID broadcast. By default, all Wi-Fi base stations broadcast their presence -- known as the Service Set Identifier (SSID) -- to anyone within range. It's a call sign. You can reconfigure the base station to not broadcast the SSID -- somewhat like a stealth mode. When you access Web pages or send email over a Wi-Fi network those transmissions are sent "in the clear." In the clear means that a sophisticated and determined hacker could grab that information right out of the air and capture your emails and Web page requests. This is also the case when using Wi-Fi at your local coffee shop. So use a Secure Socket Layer or SSL) Ok my ideas may be a little outdated but it is never hurts to have a checklist! LOL!
P: S definitely read Elmo’s “Evil Twin Link”

Lets discuss the "old" Magic Jack and how it tethers to ones laptop? Any opinions on the “old” Magic Jack? I know there may be an outdated thread on this but I was wondering if any improvements have been made and would it be considered another resource these days?

This is a little off topic-I just would like to share a "recession saving money tip"... Meanwhile, the cost of calls overseas is pretty high. If you have a Skype account you can SkypeOut for 2.1 cents a minute to the western world. Then a free iphone app called Fring integrates your skype account and allows calls over wifi. Fring basically turns your iphone into a $100+ wifi phone, and 2.1cents per/minute is a 6000+% saving over most companies’ standard rates.
OMG, we should have a cost cutters thread & tips for gadgets section! HA! For example-Question: How to save your gadget when it drops in the toilet? (Answer-soak it in uncooked rice! HA!)
Have a great day!
XO
Bravo! The name suits you.. :) Always nice to see a lady with a techie mind.

I have a wireless internet access via my AT&T laptop connect card. Unfortunately the bugger doesn't work outside the good old us of a . Frequently I will be in some fucking airport lounge or hotel logging on to the net using their wireless infrastructure looking at my plans for the night but I am never really sure who is or is not watching. So far, I don't think i have heard a solution to the problem. The way I see it is to use anonymiser.com is the only really alternative....