picture tube replacement

I have a new 42" Panasonic plasma flat screen tv with a cracked picture tube. The cost was about $700. Anybody have an idea of how much it should cost to have someone fix this?

I have a new 42" Panasonic plasma flat screen tv with a cracked picture tube. The cost was about $700. Anybody have an idea of how much it should cost to have someone fix this?
No kidding, about $700, the price of a new set. I don't think you can practically replace the screen.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Plasma is not a picture tube. The plasma is in a glass sandwich for lack of a better discription, that sandwhich holds the plasma which is an organic chemical soup. I don't know cost but that whole thing needs to be replaced as a unit. The only thing left after that is the tuner and the color guns. If it is 700 dollars you may want to think replacement of the whole set. which maybe more cost effective.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
PS to the post above if this is a new TV check the warenty you may be able to get it replaced under that unless your kid or something like that broke by throwing something.

wolf is right....did it just died or by accident? Best option is to call the manufacturer and see if it falls under the warranty and get an estimated replacement cost.

a lot of the cost is labor. I had a problem with my lg pasma set about 6 months after the warrenty ended. (the sensor on the tv for the remote). I talked LG into fixing it for free.

If it's not under warranty, which i assume it's not because that sounds like damage rather than workmanship, you might as well just get a new one. The new panny plasmas have been hovering around the 700-900 mark since a little before xmas, you can still get one for that price. It sounds like it'll cost more to repair.