Money and Investing (formerly Pfizer Stock prices)

pokler

Power Bottom
Not cherry picking. Your assertion is ok as long as it’s a new high during a secular bull market. More importantly, just stop trying to time the market and spread out your investing over a stretch of time. Of everyone invested like they do in their 401k, they’d be far more successfully. Drop a little in every couple weeks and rebalance quarterly/annually and you’ll win.
Cherry picking is exactly what you did.
And depending on how one chooses you measure time periods one can make the case we've been in a secular bull market for a hundred years now as it's only gone up over time. But I'll agree timing don't work .

Think of all the times you put on CNBC heard " S&P had is at a néw all time high.Over the past few years that occurred dozens of times. Since 1926 that's occurred hundreds of times. You cherry picked 2 points. I never said it's happens at ALl such points lol
And if you had a significant part of your $'s in boring S&P index fund (expenses 0.03% (that's 0.03% not 3.00%) you would be up almost 12% YTD.

My main concern is when it's time to pay for all the "free" money being printed. Every time I see an infant of one of my relatives I thank the infant for cosigning the gov't loans that I'm benefitting from.

Ps. You guys realize I'm sure that "money being printed" is just a metaphor; although just as real, the money is just an ledger entry.

A tongue in cheek comment here but what good is a 15%, 20% or even higher return on investments, when that car your driving which used to lease for 400 per month is now 550, the tank of gas used to cost 40 to fill and is now 60 and most importantly that GFE experience which used to cost $300 is now $500

Inflation is just on the horizon and I do firmly believe things will get worse

pokler

Power Bottom
A tongue in cheek comment here but what good is a 15%, 20% or even higher return on investments, when that car your driving which used to lease for 400 per month is now 550, the tank of gas used to cost 40 to fill and is now 60 and most importantly that GFE experience which used to cost $300 is now $500

A man gets knocked out and is in a coma .
He wakes up after 10 yrs and sees an updated bank statement showing his account has grown to a billion $
He finds a phone booth to call his wife to tell her they are rich!
Telephone operator tells him please deposit $1,000,000 to pay for call.

A man gets knocked out and is in a coma .
He wakes up after 10 yrs and sees an updated bank statement showing his account has grown to a billion $
He finds a phone booth to call his wife to tell her they are rich!
Telephone operator tells him please deposit $1,000,000 to pay for call.
I remember that joke from way back when they used to have these little booths everywhere that had coin phones in them.
Also the operator said "for the next 3 minutes please deposit a $1,000,000 coin."

I remember that joke from way back when they used to have these little booths everywhere that had coin phones in them.
Also the operator said "for the next 3 minutes please deposit a $1,000,000 coin."
And what’s just as scary...
A number of years ago my sibling was traveling from Manhattan to LI via LIRR.

As her phone was about to die, I suggested call me from Penn ( pay phone)to let me know what time I should pick you up from train.
Silence......

“Dad, What’s a pay phone”

And if you had a significant part of your $'s in boring S&P index fund (expenses 0.03% (that's 0.03% not 3.00%) you would be up almost 12% YTD.

My main concern is when it's time to pay for all the "free" money being printed. Every time I see an infant of one of my relatives I thank the infant for cosigning the gov't loans that I'm benefitting from.

Ps. You guys realize I'm sure that "money being printed" is just a metaphor; although just as real, the money is just an ledger entry.
Backed by the full faith of the US government. Unlike crypto

Inflation is here. 500 and I will get a silicone doll

Thoughts on where the market is headed in the 4th quarter?

Plenty of talk about inflation ( which is here), but bonds and yields still do not reflect… Despite my personal belief that many equities and sectors are overvalued, ( as well as real estate and some commodities) there appears to be limited choices on where to stay and keep investing

Thoughts on where the market is headed in the 4th quarter?

Plenty of talk about inflation ( which is here), but bonds and yields still do not reflect… Despite my personal belief that many equities and sectors are overvalued, ( as well as real estate and some commodities) there appears to be limited choices on where to stay and keep investing
Put your money in dirt.

If you want to park an extra $10K in a virtually unknown (no one makes any money selling it so never reported on) but completely risk free bond take a look at US I Savings bonds. Has a fixed rate (now =0) and an inflation rate.

Adjusted every 6 months to inflation. If you buy it today up until Oct 31 you get 3.54% for 6 months from when you bought it then adjusted for Nov 1 rate (will most certainly higher since higher inflation) Its a 30 year bond, state & local taxes exempt and interest is added to value of the bond so it gets compounded. You can pay taxes on interest yearly or wait until you cash it (UP TO 30 YEARS).

Can't be cashed 1st year and 3 months interest lost if cashed before 5 years. Can be cashed no penalty anytime after that.

No you won't get rich but it can be a good place to put some emergency cash or say you are looking to by a house in future and want guaranteed $ to be there, PROTECTED FROM INFLATION, when you need it.

Only $10K per person per year but you can buy gifts up to $10K per person.

Go to Treasurydirect.gov for details.

No buy land. The world can blow up tomorrow it will still be there. Look with an eye toward future development
Usually a good bet but not risk free.

Some people in Detroit may disagree with you on land as an investment.

Plus you have to pay taxes yearly (you can offset the negative cash flow buy building something on it that can generate some positive cash like a self-storage facility that can be torn down later) . Sometimes it can get stolen (opps, I mean purchased from you for a "fair price" — that you then have to go to court, legal fees etc., to contest that price as too low) by gov't via eminent domain for the greater public good, (always involves some relative of some politician for some reason — go figure).

Plus you have to pay taxes yearly (you can offset the negative cash flow buy building something on it that can generate some positive cash like a self-storage facility that can be torn down later) . Sometimes it can get stolen (opps, I mean purchased from you for a "fair price" — that you then have to go to court, legal fees etc., to contest that price as too low) by gov't via eminent domain for the greater public good, (always involves some relative of some politician for some reason — go figure).
Now is the time to be selling real estate not buying! I am on my second flip which will go on the market in a couple of weeks.I plan on pricing it 20-30% above pre-covid pricing. Earlier this year I sold a vacation property 50% higher then what was considered top dollar pre-pandemic. As I’m sure many of you have heard the stories I had several offers above ask within a week for the country house. Timing is everything you just have to have the luxury of being able to wait a decade or so.

Now is the time to be selling real estate not buying! I am on my second flip which will go on the market in a couple of weeks.I plan on pricing it 20-30% above pre-covid pricing. Earlier this year I sold a vacation property 50% higher then what was considered top dollar pre-pandemic. As I’m sure many of you have heard the stories I had several offers above ask within a week for the country house. Timing is everything you just have to have the luxury of being able to wait a decade or so.
I've been around a long time and I've come to the conclusion that timing a market (stocks, bonds, real estate) only works in the clear predictive signals the you see in hindsight.

Given the flooding of the money supply, and the (possible) resultant inflation, it may pay to hold onto real property but refinancing it to the hilt.

Who knows.

Ps. How are you going to handle the capital gains ?

Land carry lower tax rate unimproved. Storage is an option if zoning permits as americans have too much stuff. Last eminent domain cases were Citifield and Barclays area. Owners were compensated fairly for the most part. Heck renters made out at Barclays especially the last guy Goldstein got 3 million for 500k condo.

I've been around a long time and I've come to the conclusion that timing a market (stocks, bonds, real estate) only works in the clear predictive signals the you see in hindsight.

Given the flooding of the money supply, and the (possible) resultant inflation, it may pay to hold onto real property but refinancing it to the hilt.

Who knows.

Ps. How are you going to handle the capital gains ?
What capital gains? You buy more RealEstate and collect rent. Or you do a 1031swap.

Wish I was the guy in Detroit that sold his land to the city for the new Fiat Jeep plant.

If you want to park an extra $10K in a virtually unknown (no one makes any money selling it so never reported on) but completely risk free bond take a look at US I Savings bonds. Has a fixed rate (now =0) and an inflation rate.

Adjusted every 6 months to inflation. If you buy it today up until Oct 31 you get 3.54% for 6 months from when you bought it then adjusted for Nov 1 rate (will most certainly higher since higher inflation) Its a 30 year bond, state & local taxes exempt and interest is added to value of the bond so it gets compounded. You can pay taxes on interest yearly or wait until you cash it (UP TO 30 YEARS).

Can't be cashed 1st year and 3 months interest lost if cashed before 5 years. Can be cashed no penalty anytime after that.

No you won't get rich but it can be a good place to put some emergency cash or say you are looking to by a house in future and want guaranteed $ to be there, PROTECTED FROM INFLATION, when you need it.

Only $10K per person per year but you can buy gifts up to $10K per person.

Go to Treasurydirect.gov for details.
You want big gains you have to take big risk. Savings bonds are great gifts for newborns

What capital gains? You buy more RealEstate and collect rent. Or you do a 1031swap.
Not consistent with @mord 's post:
"Now is the time to be selling real estate not buying!"
Wish I was the guy in Detroit that sold his land to the city for the new Fiat Jeep plant.
Yeah — me too.

And I'm glad I didn't own one of those homes that were bulldozed — 1/3 of the housing stock in Detroit.
So 1 guy made out big and thousands lost it all. Sounds to me like lotto is a better investment. I wish I was the last $500 million lotto winner too but will never happen as I don't buy lotto and never will or bet big on Always Dreaming.

You want big gains you have to take big risk. Savings bonds are great gifts for newborns
Nope, the smart buy for a newborn (with at least 21 years before he would cash out, is some shares in a total stock market ETF.

Some people were buying multiple houses in a block then bulldozing them down, which is a smarter move cause you don't have to worry about squatters or being sued if a crackhead burns down your house and dies while squatting. They just pay the property tax and are waiting for developers.

Some people were buying multiple houses in a block then bulldozing them down, which is a smarter move cause you don't have to worry about squatters or being sued if a crackhead burns down your house and dies while squatting. They just pay the property tax and are waiting for developers.
what does that say about the value of the housing stock in that area when it pays to bulldoze them and wait for developers to buy the vacant land at some to be determined future date.
BTW, as I recall it was the city of Detroit that bulldozed 1/3 of the housing stock and not "a smarter move" by "some people"