Pearls Before Swine

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
An old game, first rule is let your opponent go first. Then work the patterns to one of the following and you'll win:

Cloud Nine said:
An old game, first rule is let your opponent go first. Then work the patterns to one of the following and you'll win:

easier said than done (and impossible to let your opponent go first on the first version I posted)...

Juan, besides being a complete asshole, is pretty fucking GOOD at this game.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
The "problem" is that it's just another game where whomever goes first gets an automatic tie (if they simply play according to the formula) or maybe a win if the opponent doesn't make a perfect play, and they offer only "I go first".

So it's not a game of chance at all.

Cloud Nine said:
An old game, first rule is let your opponent go first.
I disagree. If you notice the only difference between Version 2 and Version 1 is an extra row with 6 pearls. So in game 2, ff your opponent goes first, and takes away all of the largest row, you are basically starting in the same position as you are now in Version 1. So having your opponent go first was no advantage.

Flaw in program

going first:

A) take two from the top row of three

B) click 'go' (his turn) he'll take one from middle row of four

C)take three from bottow row of five

D) click 'go' (his turn he'll take another from the middle row

E) take the last one from the top row, leaving two pairs in two rows.

F) click 'go' ... no matter what he takes, one or two, he can't win

he takes one? take two & click 'go'

he takes two? take one & click 'go'

either way, you win

(don't know about part2 or part3 yet)

justme...? Wwanderer...?

I did some research. It is the game of Nim and it has been solved. What this means is that depending on the version you are playing, and assuming best possible play, the game will always be the same. In this case a win. Tic tac toe is another solved game in which, with best play, the best possible result is a draw. Many other games have also been solved: Nine Men's Morris, Connect Four, Gomoku, and others.