Palmeiro and steroids

What a shame is all I can say about this. Here is a guy that was on a list with only four other guys and now we know how he did it....with steroids. The excuses that come out of his mouth are not even close to believable. He should never, ever make it into the hall of fame now, even though before this he was a lock to enter. He now joins the list of asshole steroid users who are ruining the game of baseball.

Published - Aug 02 2005 10:15AM EDT || AP
When Rafael Palmeiro became the fourth player in major league history to collect 3,000 hits and 500 home runs, his status as a future member of the Hall of Fame seemed somewhat secure. That topic is again open for discussion, along with a new one: Palmeiro's credibility.

Five months after telling Congress he never used steroids, Palmeiro on Monday received a 10-day suspension from Major League Baseball after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

The players' association challenged the positive test in secret proceedings, and the penalty was held in abeyance until arbitrator Shyam Das decided Monday not to overturn it.

No longer able to deny using steroids, Palmeiro insisted he ingested a banned substance by accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," the Baltimore Orioles' first baseman said during a telephone conference call. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

Palmeiro's peers could only hope he was being honest.

"I don't know what he's been taking, but personally I don't think he's taken anything illegally," Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle said. "I don't think he's ever taken steroids or anything illegally to help himself to play."

That opinion was shared by White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

"It's a shame," Guillen said. "If he did it, and a mistake was made, I don't have anything bad to say about Raffy. Raffy's a great player."

Certainly, the numbers Palmeiro has put up are a testament to his greatness. On July 15, he joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Daddycool said:
What a shame is all I can say about this. Here is a guy that was on a list with only four other guys and now we know how he did it....with steroids. The excuses that come out of his mouth are not even close to believable. He should never, ever make it into the hall of fame now, even though before this he was a lock to enter. He now joins the list of asshole steroid users who are ruining the game of baseball.
The only thing I disagree with you about is that it's a shame. The guy cheated, he deserves no sympathy. If he feels bad, he's got his millions of dollars (dishonestly earned) to help him feel better.

He should be banned from baseball for life and his records should be stricken from the books. Hall of Fame is out of the question.

And he should go to jail for committing perjury.

The most incredible part of this whole story is that he's been caught red-handed and he's still lying.

It's an amazing coincidence, all these guys accidently ingesting this substance without knowing it(Bonds, Giambi,Sheffield etc....). Steroid use has now infiltrated its way to high school, sports that were once considered 'finesse' sports like baseball and soccer now exist for the benefit of giants. Football and olympic weightlifting have had steroids around for over 30 years but soon even pingpong players will be bulking up.

devils 1 fan said:
I think the key word that he used yesterday was "intentionally". What is that susposed to mean?
It means he's lying and plans to continue lying.

Btw, I would bet a lot of money that Giambi's back on the juice too, or HGH or whatever. I would love to see that pansy-assed liar get nailed for it.

argleby said:
The only thing I disagree with you about is that it's a shame. The guy cheated, he deserves no sympathy. If he feels bad, he's got his millions of dollars (dishonestly earned) to help him feel better.

He should be banned from baseball for life and his records should be stricken from the books. Hall of Fame is out of the question.

And he should go to jail for committing perjury.

The most incredible part of this whole story is that he's been caught red-handed and he's still lying.
I just said it a shame because he is a nice guy, not at all like Bonds who is a cocksucker. But you are right he should be banned and his records erased.

I saw Pete Rose last night on Fox's Best Damm Sports Show and he compared Palmeiro comments on steroids to
1. I did not have sex with that woman.
2. I never bet on baseball.

Thought it was humorous and sad at the sad time.

it's bad to lie because we all do but when you get caught it just sucks he did both and i think he cheated and got caught so now he has to pay the price punish him with not going to the hall of fame but remember he still made a ton of money maybe a good ass fine would help to.

Truth

Arbeit Macht Frei
1) Canseco might be a rat, but it's become pretty obvious he's not a liar.

2) Palmeiro has got to be one stupid S.O.B. When you consider he's already been accused of this shit, testing is more stringent, and his career is winding down, why the fuck would he still be on this shit?

If he just rode into the sunset, most people would never remember he was ever even accused by Canseco. Now, he'll be foreve linked with that shit and his career rendered toilet shit.

Again, one incredibly stupid muthafucka.

why the fuck would he still be on this shit?

Because they all think they are never going to be caught. A guy from the Marniers got caught too. Over all 8 MAJOR leaguers got caught even with the new "awful" steroid policy. Over 30 MINOR leaguers have gotten caught.

Daddycool said:
why the fuck would he still be on this shit?

Because they all think they are never going to be caught. A guy from the Marniers got caught too. Over all 8 MAJOR leaguers got caught even with the new "awful" steroid policy. Over 30 MINOR leaguers have gotten caught.
I agree, they have this I'm not getting caught mentality.

I think Bonds ( who is an asshole) is staying out of baseball for this year to get clean and come back next year. Yes he has an injury but I suspect its not as bad as he says. Its all part of his strategy. When he comes back clean and he cant hit as well as he did he can blame it on the year off of baseball in making him lose his touch.

In Palmeiro's case, it's plain arrogance. He didn't think he'd get caught even though he was under suspicion from the Canseco allegations. He already has Hall of Fame numbers, but he's never played in a World Series, never even played for a pennant winner, and never been an MVP or batting champion. He's played mostly for mediocre non-contenders, unlike Eddie Murray who has played in the World Series. In the back of his mind, he's thinking, "Yeah, my numbers are really good but will they get me noticed by the Hall of Fame committee?" He was trying to boost his numbers plain and simple.

Congress Wants Him

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Even after failing a drug test, Rafael Palmeiro insists he was being truthful when he told Congress that he never used steroids.

Congress wants to find out for itself.

A House committee has Palmeiro's permission to obtain documents from Major League Baseball about the steroid test that led to his 10-day suspension this week. That information will be used to investigate whether the Baltimore Orioles slugger committed perjury in March.

``As a practical matter, perjury referrals are uncommon. Prosecutions are rare,'' House Government Reform Committee chairman Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va., said Wednesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.

``But this is a high-profile case, so I think it will get an honest look-see. I don't think anyone can avoid it.''

And then Davis added: ``If we did nothing, I think we'd look like idiots. Don't you?''

On March 17, Palmeiro appeared before Davis' panel alongside Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa, pointed his finger for emphasis and declared: ``I have never used steroids. Period.''

On Monday, baseball announced he was being suspended, though it did not say when Palmeiro tested positive or for what substance. Palmeiro stood by his statements to Congress and said he didn't know what caused the test result.

``It's hard for me to reconcile that someone doesn't know that they have steroids in their body. I'm extraordinarily skeptical,'' said committee member Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn.

Said Davis: ``You've got to remember -- of all the people who testified, he was probably the most convincing. So if you asked me who would they catch, and I were listing a thousand ballplayers, he would be No. 1,000.''

A person with knowledge of the sport's drug-testing program told the AP on condition of anonymity that Palmeiro tested positive for the powerful steroid stanozolol.

That's what sprinter Ben Johnson tested positive for when he was stripped of his gold medal and world record in the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics. It is not available in over-the-counter supplements and is known as a powerful strength-builder. It can be ingested in tablet form, leaving one's system in less than a month, or injected, lasting several weeks longer.

Palmeiro's positive test came after his appearance before Congress but before he recorded his 3,000th hit last month. That means he reached the milestone after he knew about the positive result, the source told the AP.

Rather than relying on news reports, Davis said, Congress will wait to see what it learns from the information baseball provides. Palmeiro agreed that it be released during a telephone conversation with Davis on Tuesday night.

``He was pretty adamant about the point he didn't do anything. He also remarked he didn't have a lot of time to enjoy his 3,000th hit,'' Davis said.

AP - Aug 3, 11:43 am EDT
More Photos

``What we are concerned about, obviously, is the integrity of the committee process when we swear people in. We have an obligation to look further into it, and I explained that to him, and he said he understood.''

Davis and the committee's ranking Democrat, Rep. Henry Waxman of California, asked Major League Baseball to turn over information about the failed test -- and any other drug tests Palmeiro has taken.

In confirming that he would cooperate with the committee, Palmeiro said in a statement that if it has any additional questions, ``I am ready and willing to answer each and every one of them.''

Palmeiro's agent, Arn Tellem, did not return a telephone call from the AP on Wednesday.

Baseball spokesman Rich Levin said the documents would be released as requested ``in a timely manner,'' but did not give specifics and did not know if they would be made public once received.

Davis was critical of the union, commissioner Bud Selig and the sport's steroid policy at the March hearing. He and Waxman have proposed legislation that would establish uniform drug programs and punishments in the major U.S. professional sports.

But Davis praised baseball's handling of the Palmeiro case.

``He did get an appeal under this procedure. He filed it. And obviously they didn't cut him any slack,'' Davis said. ``I'm satisfied that baseball proceeded as they said they would.''

One of Palmeiro's former teams, the Texas Rangers, canceled a planned ceremony before Friday night's game against the Orioles to honor him for reaching 3,000 hits. Major league rules don't allow suspended players on the field after batting practice.