Pair o' DUCKS -- what are they good for?

3 table live No Limit Hold'em tourney. About one hour into it. About 26 of the original 30 players still in it. I'm card dead. In the past hour I've had to fold JJ when a A & K flopped, had to fold my AKsuited when I missed the flop (opponent showed me KK after I folded), had to fold after not being allowed to see a cheap flop with suited connectors and low pocket pairs. The table is pretty aggressive preflop -- it's rare that we're seeing any flop cheaply. And did I mention I was card dead?

Ok, so I have 750 chips, I'm the short stack at the table; the blinds are 50-100, about to go up to 100-200 very shortly, and I'm thinking I have to make a move. I'm on the button and I see a Pair o' DUCKS (pocket deuces). A player in early-middle position who has been somewhat aggressive preflop makes a standard raise to 300. I've noticed that he has folded to re-raises before, even though his stack is just above average for the table.

It folds around to me, and I decide to push.

He called me with 77 and I was eliminated from the tournament .... But disregarding this particular result, what do you think of the play? Should I have been more patient and picked a better spot? Would you be hard-pressed to think of a situation where it is correct to reraise with deuces in this spot, hoping for either a fold to win the 450 or, if called, an approx. 50% shot to double up?

You Only neglected to mention what the table Avg. is, and how many hands you are from posting the 200 BB...
If the guy w/ 77 has 5000, and it costs him 450 to win 1650 its almost an auto-call, but if the avg is 2000 and he's gotta call off a 1/4 of his chips, he's got a decision....
And also w/ a hand like 22, if someone's already invested in the pot, you're in trouble when you see a flop (auto coin-flip), if You're the ORIGINAL raiser then at least there's a chance you can steal, and not see a flop... In your position, I might have waited for any 2 live ones, when I could be the agressor pre-flop....