NHL Playoffs - Tremendous!

Well, I now know what I missed last year at this time. I have been watching the first few NHL playoff games and they have been superb. The Sabres-Flyers game last night rocked. So much attitude and so much effort. Esche played a great game (55 saves), but my Sabres won out. I love this new NHL so much. It's great that games can be won by the more talented teams, not the biggest bullies. I think the refs are going to continue calling the games the way they did during the regular season.

I recommend to all of you to tune in and watch a couple games. They are so much better than watching meaningless baseball games.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Actually, the trap and the obstruction sowed the game down during the 90s. If you are talking about "bullies" and fighting, et al., most fans enjoy the clean hits and the fights, not the hight sticking that the influx of European players brought in and the league mandate to wear helmets.

I could make a more coherent post, but I have to go to bed.

I tell you, awarding a point to a team that loses is ridiculous (i.e. "overtime loss"). How can you reward losing? It is stuf like this that makes the NHL a Mickey Mouse league. Fighting and hard checks and hits were NEVER this leagues problem. Over-expansion, reliance on European talent and the trap ruined this league.

Plus, how can you take a league seriously when you have Mike Milbury working as a GM for a team in the metropoloitan area for eleven years? This guy got away with murder on the Island. Single handedly ruined a franchise...

Mike Must Go (don't believe the hype that he is out on the Island. See Bob Pulford and Harry Sinden and theri roles with their respective teams. Old GMs don't go away, they just become meddlesome behind the scenes.)

God luck up there in Buffalo. Was rooting for you guys in '99.

Gavy

I only watched a couple games during the regular season and was bored to tears. When the playoff starts,it's like a different sport. The intensity level picks up and the refs for the most part put the whistles away and let them play. Although my Flyers were on the losing end last night, I will agree that this was a great game.

As for the extra point for an overtime loss I am in complete agreement. I also
don't like the shootouts . In the regular season have a 10 minute sudden death period and if no score than have a tie. That is another reason why I love the playoffs. Overtimes are great drama and the game can end in the blink of an eye.

I'm enjoying the Rangers getting their asses handed to them by the Devils. If this was baseball, The Rangers collapse to lose the division would be monumentally remembered right there with the 78 Redsox and 95 Angels.

gavycrav said:
Plus, how can you take a league seriously when you have Mike Milbury working as a GM for a team in the metropoloitan area for eleven years? This guy got away with murder on the Island. Single handedly ruined a franchise...

Mike Must Go (don't believe the hype that he is out on the Island. See Bob Pulford and Harry Sinden and theri roles with their respective teams. Old GMs don't go away, they just become meddlesome behind the scenes.)

God luck up there in Buffalo. Was rooting for you guys in '99.

Gavy
So I take it you are a fan of the team on the island? Have they even made the playoffs since Jimmy Carter was president? They are dangerously close to being as bad as other putrid sports franchises like the LA Clippers, Arizona Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers. Gavy, time to get over it. It'll drag you down.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
With the influx of European players and the game getting away from it's rough and tumble heritage, hockey isn't the same anymore. Shoot-outs? The stupidest way to end a contest!

After the Mike Milbury fiasco and Charles Wang driving the stake further into the Islanders' heart, I am officially done as an Islander fan. Rick DiPietro's contract? 15 years for a mediocre goaltender? Fucking ridiculous.

Fuck you, Wang and Milbury. May you both rot in hell.

Gavy

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
gavycrav said:

Gavy
Man, I really do know my stuff...

Gavy