My Cat Acoustic

I never thought I would be posting one of these stories so soon. Animals worm their way into our hearts and give us plenty of joy, only to have them leave us so quickly.

You had a spirit that could not be contained. Boundaries, they were for others. You, everything was a game, a toy, an adventure. Keys, towels, change, headphones, ties, shoes laces, bottles, sandals, if it was within your reach, it was up for grabs. If it was not within your reach; you found your way to it. What a small, curious member, of the world you were. You reminded me of some ancient maritime explorer setting off to discover new lands, not knowing what would be found, but what ever it was, it was sure to be exciting. You greeted follow travelers with an affectionate head rub and purr. Playfully, making your way around; you wanted to be notice by all, and they all did! It did not matter if it was a familiar person or a total stranger; they were all part of the audience. Shakespeare once penned, “All the worlds a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” He should have included cats, you loved the stage.

People always commented on your looks; beautiful dark gray with black tiger strips, white chest, belly and paws. Walking around a floor full of cats, it was your looks that first caught my attention, so I stopped to say hello. I put my hand in your cage and started petting you. You licked my hand and bite me. I knew right away you were the cat for me. I asked for your name, Acoustic I will was told. I liked the sound of that name, and kept it. Acoustic you were. You had an attitude that quickly endeared itself to me, crazy cat, one minute affectionate cat the other with no limits. You would lie down in bed with me, and groom my hair. I always got a kick at that. You loved to chase the laser pointer, and had boundless energy. I know you drove Louie crazy. Chasing each other around my apartment, I had to break the two of you up more then once. Then, I would find you quietly sleeping on my pillow, with the look “What did I do?” all over your face.

Unfortunately like Icarus, you flew to close to the sun, and fell to earth. Your life ended to short, but your spirit, however will continue to live on; every time the door buzzer rings, I know you will be there to greet the person with me, the laser pointer will continue to be chased, when I go to sleep, you will jump on my chest and purr for attention, after a shower you will be looking to drink water from the spout, and every time I hear the morning dove sing; I will see you gazing intently outside with tail waving.

Acoustic, free spirit by nature, and an intrepid explorer by heart, I cannot believe we only had a year and a half together. In that time, I quickly grow to love you, and no matter how much pain and hurt I feel right now, if I went back in time, I would still choose you again and again. I would rather have known you for that short a time then to never have known you at all.

Acoustic adopted October 14, 2007, and died June 10th 2009.

I am so sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking when they go so soon. I know the end fo the road is near for two of mine but luckily they have had very long loving lives, full of adventure with me since I found them.