Menches

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I was in a tournement last night which paid 2 places. When we got down to 3 players (and I really don't know how I got that far..... I got to the final table with a few chips and figured I'd be out in 5 mnutes....... lucky for me I went all in on the first hand) I proposed a chop, with me taking a minor piece (I had like 25,000 chips and they each had around 100,000) and the chip leader said "they usually take $50 from the top two and give third place $100". When I thanked him for being a nice guy, etc. he responded "Hey, it's going to be me". Anyway, the other guy agreed, and like 2 hands later I was out (I was the button, BB was 10,000, I called with K-T off suit, SB raised all in, I called, he had A-9 suited.).

Anyway, it's nice to play with guys who are menches.

slinkybender said:
...I was the button, BB was 10,000, I called with K-T off suit, SB raised all in, I called, he had A-9 suited.).

If the BB was 10k, about 1/2 your chips, why the hell would you call and espically call the raise with k-t off suit??? As Helmuth would ask, "Did you have a plane to catch??" :)

I'd think you'd be playing tight at that point, no??

But - lucky you to play with nice guys...

gern

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Three handed and the blinds wouldve taken over half his chips in three hands. (10K + 5K = 15K), I would think K 10 is the best youre probably going to get before getting blinded out. He did the right thing.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
As C9 points out:

I was BB next, then SB. If I didn't call with the KT, after the next two hands (if I didn't call either) I'd be button again with only 10K (i.e. equal to the BB), and on the fourth hand be all in at the BB. In other words, my bet was "Will I get better than KT in the next 3 hands?", with the added kicker that even if I did get better than KT, if it wasn't on the very next hand I wouldn't have enough chps to get paid off much.

KT off suit is about 45 out of 169 in terms of "goodness" for starting hands. Let's say you think I should have waited for a "substantially better" hand to go in. KQ off suit or better? Well, KQ is 20 out of 169. So the odds of hitting that or better on teh next hand (which would be the last hand where I still had 25K chips, 10 of which would already be in on the BB) is about 12%. The odds on getting that good a hand or better in the next 3 hands is only a little better than 1 out of 3 (and that with the diminishing payoff).

So where were the odds to stick around and get blinded out?

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Not only that but to even stand a chance of winning when youre so low in chips you have to start doubling up in a hurry. There are times when you have to rely on "luck" with bad starting hands and this was one of them.

When you're that far down in chips, the likelyhood of doubling up repeatively to regain chips status is HIGHLY unlikely. I think he played it well based on him being the button.

Would I have called with K-T offsuit if I had a chip lead? That's a hard call. before the flop, yes....after the flop and that's all I got? Hell No!

shorty said:
When you're that far down in chips, the likelyhood of doubling up repeatively to regain chips status is HIGHLY unlikely. I think he played it well based on him being the button.

Sorry..I wasn't implying that the Slinkster f'd up. My point is with so few chips, playing 3 handed, when one of the blinds comes in strong (you said he raised) I would've read that as a sign of real strength and would not have bet the farm on what amounts to k high. That's all - just a different opinion. I would've played it tighter. Of course that all goes out the window depending on how the guy who raised was playing previous (maybe a bluff?). However, the point on being blinded out in 3-4 hands is well taken.
As someone once said there are lots of ways to play any given situation at a poker table - and at times, all of them are wrong.

gern

In that situtation you get ALL your chips in as fast as possible with the first decent hand and K 10 in a 3 hand game is actually a good hand. In short handed games as 3 handed is, any pair or combo making 20 is said to be playable. K10 KJ Q10 QJ etc.

Last edited:
slinkybender said:
I was in a tournement last night which paid 2 places. When we got down to 3 players (and I really don't know how I got that far..... I got to the final table with a few chips and figured I'd be out in 5 mnutes....... lucky for me I went all in on the first hand) I proposed a chop, with me taking a minor piece (I had like 25,000 chips and they each had around 100,000) and the chip leader said "they usually take $50 from the top two and give third place $100". When I thanked him for being a nice guy, etc. he responded "Hey, it's going to be me". Anyway, the other guy agreed, and like 2 hands later I was out (I was the button, BB was 10,000, I called with K-T off suit, SB raised all in, I called, he had A-9 suited.).

Anyway, it's nice to play with guys who are menches.
It would be nice to play with guys that know what mench means....Most of the guys I play with out here have first names Like Paul, Peter and Victor...I would ventor to say no one named Paul Peter or espessially Victor knows what a mench is and if you called them a Menches they might bust a cap in ya..........."Dance the Drinks over to me Spider"......