Mac iBook G4 Problem

Having this odd problem — maybe someone here can save me a trip to Techserv:

I recently installed a wireless router in my apartment. When my iBook G4 running OS 10.4x is plugged into the extension cord, there's no problem. When I remove the extension cord, about five minutes after it's no longer tethered to the outlet my screen suddenly goes blank. It's not the "sleep" function — in fact, I tried disabling this entirely to see if there was some sort of problem with that application, and it still occurs. The battery appears to be just fine. In fact, it appears as if the computer is still on, but the screen is simply blank. The only way I can get it back is to restart the machine. After restarting, about five minutes later, it happens again.

Any thoughts how I can trouble shoot this further?

Why do you mention the wireless router? Was the device working fine before the router was installed? Or is this the first time using the iBook off AC? Does the same thing happen at other hot spots? Have you recently installed any software?

questions

1) did YOU install the airport card or was it ore-installed

2) do you see ANY image on the screen?? Like a shadow of the image?!

I have to tell you it may be your logic board.

Answer those questions and then I might be able to answer a bit better??!!

1) did YOU install the airport card or was it ore-installed

2) do you see ANY image on the screen?? Like a shadow of the image?!

I have to tell you it may be your logic board.

Answer those questions and then I might be able to answer a bit better??!!
1) I did not install the card -- it was already installed.

2) No image on the screen

You're scaring me with that logic board talk!

Why do you mention the wireless router? Was the device working fine before the router was installed? Or is this the first time using the iBook off AC? Does the same thing happen at other hot spots? Have you recently installed any software?
As I remember it (and I should try this and see if it still works), when I wasn't using airport, it worked just fine when it was unplugged. I don't believe I ever used it on any other wi-fi. (When I'm away from home, I'm usually using my office laptop.)

1) I did not install the card -- it was already installed.

2) No image on the screen

You're scaring me with that logic board talk!

Well, I do not mean to scare you... but as they taught me in school... set expectations low and then wow them when you fix it! :D

I heard you mention you NEVER used it on a hotspot/ wifi? Boot it up and turn the Airport card off in System Prefs > network.

The card may be bad and causing you to shut down.

Other than that, Boot up off your restore DVD/CD and see if it stays on for longer than normal, if so... Run Disk Utility (located in the menus - forget which). Repair (or verify ) the internal HD.

Finally... Bring it to your local Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store. They should be able to diagnose it. (MAKE AN APPOINTMENT before going)

Well, I do not mean to scare you... but as they taught me in school... set expectations low and then wow them when you fix it! :D

I heard you mention you NEVER used it on a hotspot/ wifi? Boot it up and turn the Airport card off in System Prefs > network.

The card may be bad and causing you to shut down.

Other than that, Boot up off your restore DVD/CD and see if it stays on for longer than normal, if so... Run Disk Utility (located in the menus - forget which). Repair (or verify ) the internal HD.

Finally... Bring it to your local Genius Bar at the Apple Retail Store. They should be able to diagnose it. (MAKE AN APPOINTMENT before going)
Thanks. Really appreciate all your help.

I got to say there pretty good i brought them a battery that was slow exploding and was two years old they replaced no charge and no questions! Good luck

As I remember it (and I should try this and see if it still works), when I wasn't using airport, it worked just fine when it was unplugged. I don't believe I ever used it on any other wi-fi. (When I'm away from home, I'm usually using my office laptop.)
Like Mr. Coyote, I am leaning to an issue with the wireless card. It appears to be the only new variable in use on your MAC. Like he suggested, remove it from the equation, and see what happens.

Seems like this is an old model, maybe you need a new battery.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the battery. As I mentioned, it appears as if the computer is still on, but the screen itself goes black. If it were a battery issue, I doubt that I'd be able to restart the machine without plugging it in, which I can do.

I don't know very much about apple computers, but it seems to me that you should check the power settings when the computer is on battery power. On Window laptop computers you can adjust different settings, including screen settings according to how much battery power is left. Perhaps your computer is set to turn the screen off when battery power drops below a certain percentage, leaving oter computer functions operational.

Monk, plug your computer back in and google your problem. See if it's a problem other apple users have had. Remove the wireless card and see what happens when you unplug your computer.

Last edited:
Monk, plug your computer back in and google your problem. See if it's a problem other apple users have had. Remove the wireless card and see what happens when you unplug your computer.
Monk, what is the processor speed on the machine? Although the advice regarding the removal of the Wifi card is sound, depending on how new the iBook is.... The card may NOT be user installable / removeable.

When Apple got to the point where ALL the iBooks had wifi and it was not an option, the cards were not user installable.

If you tell me that speed I might be able to tell you if it is a option.

Monk,

Just reread your original post.

1) On your battery, there is a little button, what happens when you press it.

2) plug it in. Go to about this Mac. Click more info ( or whatever it says similiar to that) in system profiler, click power.

What is the cycle count on the battery?

3) is the iBook a 12 or a 14?

4) when the screen goes black, is the light on the front of the machine still blinking/ on?

Last edited:
Having this odd problem — maybe someone here can save me a trip to Techserv:

I recently installed a wireless router in my apartment. When my iBook G4 running OS 10.4x is plugged into the extension cord, there's no problem. When I remove the extension cord, about five minutes after it's no longer tethered to the outlet my screen suddenly goes blank. It's not the "sleep" function — in fact, I tried disabling this entirely to see if there was some sort of problem with that application, and it still occurs. The battery appears to be just fine. In fact, it appears as if the computer is still on, but the screen is simply blank. The only way I can get it back is to restart the machine. After restarting, about five minutes later, it happens again.

Any thoughts how I can trouble shoot this further?
OK, try removing your new wireless router and see what happens.

Monk, what is the processor speed on the machine? Although the advice regarding the removal of the Wifi card is sound, depending on how new the iBook is.... The card may NOT be user installable / removeable.

When Apple got to the point where ALL the iBooks had wifi and it was not an option, the cards were not user installable.

If you tell me that speed I might be able to tell you if it is a option.
Sorry that I haven't been able to respond sooner, but the wife has been around the computer a lot, so I couldn't log onto UG.

The processor speed is 1.33 Ghz. The airport card is listed as "Airport Extreme". I have a 14" screen. When I test the battery (when the power cord is unplugged) by pressing the battery button, it tests just fine. I don't see anything in the System Profiler relating to the battery cycle speed.

That said, I tried what you recommended. I shut down Airport and unplugged the computer. The computer ran just fine and I didn't experience the screen black out at all. After a while (at least an hour) I turned Airport back on. Within just a few minutes (even less than when this happened in the past), the screen went black again.

I also noticed, however (and I think this is a separate problem) that the battery was losing power much faster than it should. When I first unplugged the computer, it showed that the battery was fully charged (as it should). However, very quickly, it started losing power. I had it unplugged for at least an hour, but by then, I was down pretty low. And I wasn't doing anything with the computer, so there's no reason for this to happen. I'm thinking now that this is a separate problem that I've discovered.

Do you still think it's the Airport card? Why would it work perfectly when the computer is plugged in?