M.V.P in 2006

Just wanted to start a thread for MVP votes for NL

My vote Ryan Howard
As of today he has 310 BA and leading the NL in HR with 53 and RBI with 137
and the Phillies might even make the playoffs.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Lascivious said:
I'm hoping he could bang another 18 and break Bonds record.
Well, if he even hits 9 more, he's the single season leader. All realistic and knowledgeable fans will look at the 10 years period from '94 to '04 with disdain. Good luck, Ryan. Wipe those phoneys out of the books...

Gavy

Personally, I think the MVP should probably go to Miguel Cabrera who has been the glue on a young team and I think has been most valuable to them.

Statistically, I would probably give it to Albert Pujols as usual. I looked at five potential candidates, Howard, Pujols, Berkman, Beltran and Cabrera.

Howard has the HR's and they are exciting and an 18RBI lead which I don't find statistically compelling. His batting average is only better than Beltran and he only has 18 doubles - lowest in the group, no stolen bases, and his 155 K's (rally killers) are more than 50 higher than the next candidate (and 115 more than Pujols).

Berkman is up there in HR's and RBI's but down in RS and doubles. His K's are normal for the balance of the group. Since Houston hasn't been much that militates against him.

Beltran might have the most well rounded statistics of the group. He leads the group in RS and SB and is the only one with 30+ doubles and HR's. He haowever haas the lowest BA and OBP of the group though his OPS is right there. The Mets of course will win the division and have the best record in the NL but Beltran falls because of the seasons of Wright, Delgado and I think most importantly Reyes.

Pujols of course is an animal and his stats speak for themsleves. The fact that he doesn't strike out is amazing and in my mind makes him very valuable. Statisticaly he would probalby be my guy.

Cabrera only has 24 HR's but has over 100RBI's and the highest BA n the group and the most doubles (will be over 50 by season's end. HIs K's are on par with Beltran And Berkman and he has the second most steals (and the most CS). But when you factor in the team he is on and the fact that the Marlins are fighting for the wild card, he's my man.

Of course, the next three weeks might well serve to separate someone from the pack.

i would have to agree with skellychamp, going for the most valuable it would have to be miguel cabrera, the fact that the team is still playing meaningful games is amazing, but howard is no joke either, he has some serious power and has amazing numbers heres to hoping he can jack another 18 hr's

Oh my God stop the presses hell hath frozen over. Sportbook agrees with me in a non-ranting lucid post.

If Philly gets into the postseason it will probably be because of a big Sept from Howard and that would certainly make him the front runner.

scoochamenz1 said:
and make sure you get your cycle is timed right so you don't get caught, ryan. hehehehehe
I don't think Howard is juicing. His size comes naturally. His fraternal twin is an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier, and his younger brother is 6'5" and 280 pounds and is playing as a defensive lineman in college.

biglarry1 said:
I don't think Howard is juicing. His size comes naturally. His fraternal twin is an inch taller and 20 pounds heavier, and his younger brother is 6'5" and 280 pounds and is playing as a defensive lineman in college.
2 more tonight at Florida...up to 56!

Biased Met fan rant

Defense has to count for something, though. Which is why Arod beat Big Papi last year.

Beltran's catch at Houston last week and his catch tonight symbolize what he means to this team. Without him, they may have won the division, but they'd be in a dogfight. One mans thoughts. Beltran is one of the only 5 tool players in baseball.

Last edited:
2 more tonight at Florida...up to 56!
Despite only hitting two more homers in the last 3 weeks, Ryan Howard built up such a big lead, he was able to hold on and win the MVP award.
If the Phillies can find someone to hit behind him and offer some protection,
there is no telling what he can do in the future.

Despite only hitting two more homers in the last 3 weeks, Ryan Howard built up such a big lead, he was able to hold on and win the MVP award.
If the Phillies can find someone to hit behind him and offer some protection,
there is no telling what he can do in the future.
They lost out on Soriano -- as did the Mets -- but they're targeting Lee right now.

Not even the Mets could be stupid enough to want Soriano. He's a dog as much as A-Rod if not more. Strikes out way too much to hit top of the order and he's not clutch enough to hit mid of order. And don't foget his post season as a Yankee when he could foul tip a ball. For all his stats he's at best a 6 or 7 hitter and very over paid for that.... then he's got the "pain in the ass" tag in the clubhouse.