"Lighthouse Project" at the Nassau Hub

By the way, was Sonny getting gunned down at the Loop Parkway actually shot over at the NVMC? Early 70s? I was told to look parts of the old "Maria Regina" high school in the background of that scene.
yes indeed,

you can see the dirt pile from the nassau coliseum hole stacked up in the background in the movie.

the toll booth scene was exactly in front of what is now the west entrance side of the coliseum...i think its the season ticket parking area.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
But if there are less business and less people living in the area then there is less traffic to begin with. Back in the fifties and sixties Roosevelt Field was much smaller and there was no Source Mall. I'm sure there was traffic going in and out of the raceway but that was the main cause. There weren't another 50,000 shoppers on top of it.
Agreed. Without a public transportation system, there is no way this will fly. The one thing that gets me is the "environmental" concerns. It is 77 acres of concrete. I think all you'd be disturbing are the stray cats that live in the shrubs over there.

Supposedly, part of the old Hempstead Plain is located over there, somewhere (I think across from the Marriott). It is said to be the last remnants of what the Island used to look like. Untouched and undeveloped.

Amazing. If it wasn't for that cable deal, the Islanders would ahve been long gone. Even after it's restructuring, the Isles still have the best cable deal in the league. Pickett with help from Doubleday struck the deal right after the first Cup. Cablevision needed to pair the bad Mets teams with a proven winner in the early 80s to sell to fans. Before the restructuring, the Islanders made 30 million a year. Do you guys remember how bad those 90s Islander teams were? 30 million to broadcast those teams? Wow...

Gavy

Alot of the traffic going into the raceway did not use old country road, but used Zeckendorf Blvd and or Endo Road for Entrance and Exit. Back in the 50's & 60's. Roosevelt Field was only One level. I was St Roosevelt Field last weeknd there were so many people it was toguh to park & hardly able to move inside. Went to Cheesecake Factory valet parking has half of the lot & there was a one hour wait took like forever to get back out onto Old counrty road which was dead stopped & then crawling at 5 miles an hour

Speaking of traffic issues, with the winds yesterday and downed tree branches, power outages, it was difficult maneuvering around. Imagine a major event like a strong hurricane or terrorist event on Long Island. Evacuation is a ridiculous concept. You can't even get away from Roosevelt Field on a busy shopping day, how the hell are you suppose to get off the Island? Answer: You won't be able to.

LIGHTHOUSE and Politics Part 1

As I stated in the previous “Sports Talkies” thread I think the “Lighthouse Project” is a terrible idea. While most people will look at this as simply a sports or business venture the truth is that this is a highly contested political debate between the Democratic ruled County and the Republican ruled Town of Hempstead. As BillyS has stated in the previous thread it sounds like a case of Republican paranoia about Nassau starting to become a “6th Borough” or an extension of Queens, but on some political agendas that is exactly what it is.

This is County Executives Tom Souzzi’s 2nd attempt to bring in low income, excuse me, I mean “affordable housing” into the town of Hempstead. His first attempt was to build two (2) 40 story apartment complex’s in the Village of Hempstead.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/realestate/25lizo.html?pagewanted=all
The idea of bringing in 6 to 8 thousand more people to the Hempstead community makes no sense. There are all ready traffic nightmares in that area, limited public transportation, The school systems would never be able to handle an influx that great, and not to mention the upgrades that would be necessary to the power lines, sewage systems and sanitation and water districts. All this protected by a Village Police force and a volunteer fire Department. So why do this if it makes such little sense?

While this would address Souzzi’s policy for finding affordable housing for young adults, how many registered Republicans would there be lining up to live in Hempstead (more about this later). While I mean no disrespect to the community, nor, do I want to sound politically incorrect, the proposed area is not a desirable living area. While most people in the Town could care less about what happens in the Village of Hempstead, the project was postponed (probably for good) due to a large out cry from the neighboring Garden City and it’s own residents. So Souzzi moves onto the “Lighthouse Project”.

While I must admit I do not know that much about this project (the Lighthouse), I do know that every time Souzzi talks about it he mentions the development of Low Income, Sorry, I mean “Affordable Housing” in the surrounding areas. So now we move his initial idea about a mile away and disguise it with the hope of building a new Sports Arena and Landmark. The proposed cite is spacious enough for the arena, the commercial use of the “Lighthouse” and a few large (maybe not 40 stories) apartment/co-op complexes the size of the old EAB Building across the street. Since the County already owns this land and they have the EAB building as a cushion for the proposed large structures, and the area is a sizeable distance away from the residential homes, it all sounds to perfect. Except all the other negatives still exist, except now in Uniondale.

part 2

So Why is Souzzi intent on getting this project going. While Souzzi has always pushed his policy of finding affordable housing in the County, he does have a more selfish agenda. Tom Souzzi and Nassau County Democrat Chairman Jay Jacobs are both very smart and polished politicians. Souzzi also has (sorry for the lack of a more suitable comparison) a great pair of Balls. He ran his first campaign without the parties backing, and four years later ran a fairly successful Campaign for Governor, against very steep odds. Souzzi just winning Nassau’s top spot as a democrat, after years of Republican dominance was a major feat and the rest of the state did take notice.

The problem here is that what Souzzi discovered is that as Executive Supervisor, his power is very limited, even with a majority legislature. The Town Supervisors have just as much, if not more control as much of the facilities are town run. This why you constantly read in ND Souzzi’s plan to do away with Special Service Districts and a proposed merging of the School Districts. To secure top positions in the Towns of Hempstead and Oyster Bay by Democrats would not just make his life easier but his Statewide presence would grow “ as the man who crushed the Almighty Nassau Republicans”. So by bringing in 5000 more Democratic voters into an already crumbling Republican stronghold will certainly help, and the quickest way to do this is to build “Mega-Complex’s in undesirable neighborhoods.

So what does Souzzi have to gain from this? One, he leaves the Democratic party in better shape for the future (even with the shaky budgets). And, Two he propels himself to a higher statewide office, such as another run for Governor (against a less popular Spitzer) or he looks at Hillary’s soon to be vacant Senate seat. I do understand that to the layman this sounds like a crazy conspiracy, but the truth is, that this is simply Politics 101.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The problem here is that what Souzzi discovered is that as Executive Supervisor, his power is very limited, even with a majority legislature. The Town Supervisors have just as much, if not more control as much of the facilities are town run. This why you constantly read in ND Souzzi’s plan to do away with Special Service Districts and a proposed merging of the School Districts.
Please re-read your ND articles more closley. It is SPITZER (as in the Governor of New York) who is pushing to eliminate the special taxing districts. If you really have been reading ND you'd have known this.

Please re-read your ND articles more closley. It is SPITZER (as in the Governor of New York) who is pushing to eliminate the special taxing districts. If you really have been reading ND you'd have known this.
Maybe I should call this "a stupid statement". Souzzi and Wietzman have been pushing the Special District issue since before 2005, long before Spitzer was even running for governor. The reason Spitzer just jumped on the band wagon is because most Special Districts have State charters, and in order for them to be modified or consolidated it would have to pass through both the state Assembly and the state Senate. Spitzer is currentley on a crusade to get the State Senate out of Republican hands and is using this as one of his platforms. He only came on board last month when he addressed this issue at Hofstra University. ND has been reporting this for over 4 years and even published the audit results the county submitted the special districts to over two years ago.

http://www.nassaucountyny*****/agencies/Comptroller/NewsRelease/2006/12-13-06.html

Forget the Links, here most of the Article

December 13, 2006

WEITZMAN, TOWN SUPERVISORS AGREE: NASSAU SPECIAL TAX DISTRICTS CAN CUT EXPENSES
Comptroller’s Report Says Districts Can Save Up to $35 Million Annually
Many of Nassau County’s hundreds of special tax districts can - and should - reduce their expenses, potentially saving taxpayers between $23.8 and $35.7 million per year, according to a report issued today by County Comptroller Howard S. Weitzman.

Comptroller Weitzman described the findings of the report, “Cost-Saving Ideas for Special Districts in Nassau County,” at a news conference today, joined by Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Jon Kaiman and Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor John Venditto, who endorsed the cost-saving measures and promised to work with special districts in their towns to help achieve them.

“It’s not impossible to control property taxes, or even reduce them in some cases,” Comptroller Weitzman said. “But first you have to cut the cost of government. This report shows that it can be done.

“I’m especially glad to note some progress on one of the most important issues: the need for oversight of commissioner-run special districts. The Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay have begun to actively review the proposed budgets of these districts, just as they do for districts and departments under direct town management. New York State’s Town Law clearly authorizes such a review, and special district taxpayers clearly benefit when the Towns review their proposed budgets.”

Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Jon Kaiman said, “The Town recently created an office of inter-municipal coordination where we work with districts and villages for our mutual benefit. Our ability to evaluate and assist in the budgeting process is growing, with the goal being greater confidence that our money is being spent wisely and efficiently. In addition, we will continue our effort to work with districts in ways that save money while still providing a high level of service to our mutual constituents.”

Town of Oyster Bay Supervisor John Venditto said, “The Town of Oyster Bay has long led the way in facilitating inter-municipal cooperation between various levels of government to help them save taxpayer dollars. In addition to assisting county government and local school districts, we have worked with special districts on their bond issues so they get the benefit of the Town’s excellent credit rating, which translates to lower interest costs for their taxpayers. Our finance staff has also been meeting with representatives of the special districts to conduct a review of their budgets, and to suggest ways to cut costs and keep expenditures down. We will continue to offer our resources to the special districts in any way we can.”

There are more than 200 special town tax districts in Nassau that collect $473 million every year in local property taxes, according to Comptroller Weitzman. “The districts provide essential services, such as water, fire protection, and sanitation,” he said. “Some of them are efficiently run. But in many other cases, particularly in the 101 special districts run by elected commissioners, there are ample opportunities for savings. That’s what this report is about.

“In order to determine how much money potentially could be saved, we applied these cost-saving ideas to the budgets of some of the sanitary districts we audited in 2005,” he continued. “We discovered that, if adopted, the measures would save between 10 and 15 percent of current district operating costs. Such a reduction in taxes imposed by commissioner-run special districts, if achieved across the board, would have saved Nassau County residents between $23.8 million and $35.7 million in 2006 alone.”

The report is the first in a series of concrete measures to follow up on last June’s Conference on Nassau County Special Districts, organized by Comptroller Weitzman, which drew 400 district commissioners, economists, public policy experts and taxpayers to Hofstra University to consider ways of making such districts more efficient and accountable.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
The unions are saying that Ratner will be lucky to get the building in Brooklyn. As for the HUB, get this:

The federal government has allocated $19 million to "study" the traffic patterns in and around the Coliseum/Marriott/Hofstra/NCC. Currently there are 24,000 cars taht travel the area daily. The HUB would bring 66,000 cars in that area.

Now, back to that study: how long do you think it is going to take? 8-10 years. this project is dead.

Gavy

The unions are saying that Ratner will be lucky to get the building in Brooklyn. As for the HUB, get this:

The federal government has allocated $19 million to "study" the traffic patterns in and around the Coliseum/Marriott/Hofstra/NCC. Currently there are 24,000 cars taht travel the area daily. The HUB would bring 66,000 cars in that area.

Now, back to that study: how long do you think it is going to take? 8-10 years. this project is dead.

Gavy
I'll Save ya 18 million dollars, Give me one million and i'll tell ya it won't work! that area has alot of traffic now WTF are they studying? How to fleece the tax payers out of 19 million?