LCD v. Plasma

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Yes I did, till I tried to find them myself and went to Sony's website and couldn't even find any CRT's........... (but they also talked about RP units, nit just flat panels).

According to CNET, Sony announced that they are coming out with their first OLED TV. OLED is being used because it will be slimmer and more energy efficient. Interesting?

BTW, don't fuckin buy a SONY. I was hot for their RPHDTV, bought the 60 inch in 2005, only problem is it's a lemon. The optical block goes after 3 or 4 years and they won't repair or replace it (well, they extended the warranty until 12/08, but that didn't help me, mine started to go 8/09).

There's a FB page about defectives Sonys with over 800 people on it, I just filed a small claims lawsuit against them. (Google Sony blue blob, you'll be amazed).

They all have lemons.. it's just a matter of numbers. Sony is so fucking expensive because aside from picture quality (which is noticeable) they tend to have less lemons than everyone else. It's just that when you get a lemon from Sony it's memorable because you don't expect it from them and you paid a shit load of money for crap.

Pioneer is by far the quality leader in flat screens and cost as much and often a lot more than Sony. Problem with Pioneer is they're more prone to lemons than a lot of the cheaper brands.

Oz: I'm serious..this rear projection thing is a piece of crap. Google Sony blue blob..you'll be shocked. I'm shocked that they haven't stood behind their error...they have to be sued in order to notice.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
I haven't bought a television in nearly a decade, but the general grumbling on the gadget blogs seems to indicate that Sony is having serious problems bringing good products to market and then contnuing to support them. Even the latest Consumer Reports TV ratings seem to indicate that not only is Sony as expensive (overpriced?) as they always were, these days they can't even claim to have the best sets.

For the record, in the past I've purchased many Sony products. My current (ancient) TV is a Sony and in the late 90's I had some ES audio equipment that was, I think, really great stuff. Since I sold both pieces to friends, I know that both are working well despite heavy use. It just seems that they've really dropped off in the last ten years and aren't really the cream of the mass-produced consumer electronics market anymore.

I haven't bought a television in nearly a decade, but the general grumbling on the gadget blogs seems to indicate that Sony is having serious problems bringing good products to market and then contnuing to support them. Even the latest Consumer Reports TV ratings seem to indicate that not only is Sony as expensive (overpriced?) as they always were, these days they can't even claim to have the best sets.

For the record, in the past I've purchased many Sony products. My current (ancient) TV is a Sony and in the late 90's I had some ES audio equipment that was, I think, really great stuff. Since I sold both pieces to friends, I know that both are working well despite heavy use. It just seems that they've really dropped off in the last ten years and aren't really the cream of the mass-produced consumer electronics market anymore.
I have a 3 year old HD LCD sony and not an ounce of trouble. But, I have had laptops and sony's service is by far the worst i've ever experienced. Due to that, when i bought another HD lcd, is wasn't a sony, i intentionally went with samsung for sound and blu and LG for the lcd. The LG is awesome, the samsung BD and surround is crap, Good sound, but sometimes yuou have to wiggle the wires and the bd player is slow and has some annoying features. I also replaced all laptops in the house with new ones, and none of them are sony.

I went as far as to speak to some special dept, got no satisfaction, and then wrote a letter and got a generic response. While i think sony has arguably the best picture, I can't take the chance of not having a good customer relations dept in case of trouble.

Sony pretty much ruled the TV world for 3 decades ever since the Trinitron debuted and their reign ended with the last of the rear projections (XBR series). Sony while still providing one of the better pictures on flat screens is no longer head and shoulders above the rest. The flat screen market was an entirely new ball game and Sony came in with the rest (Phillips, Samsung, Pioneer etc....) dead even in the technology area. Pioneer banked on plasmas and now provides the best picture, but their shoddy history of lemons and cust service dooms them. Also unlike Sony, their excessive price point for that quality doesn't fit the Pioneer name which for so long (along with Yamaha) was moderately priced and often the best bang for the buck. Phillips has constantly put out the best flat screens but they tend to have power supply problems ($600 to repair).

The pictures from model to model vary so much more than brand to brand that the best to buy a flat screen today is the cheapest that makes you happy. Also looking at them in stores is foolish cause they're all on a multi split signal that degrades the picture quality so much that it can literally take an expensive model with a great picture and even it with one next to it at half the price. If you go to a high end home theater place you'll usually notice they have a dedicated feed (cable box or Sat receiver) or they switch the entire signal from one model to another. They don't take a single cable box and split the feed between half dozen TV.s