Kentucky Derby - 2024

Let's get a Derby thread going with the goal of picking a few winners. I know my brother @NINE-LIVES will be here!

This past Saturday, two debut runners that really impressed me.

1 - Race 1 @ SA - 01/20/24 - Maymum trained by Bob Baffert - scintillating debut for this 900K purchase - 6 1/2 romp in 1:15.2 (six furlongs in 1:09) A son of Frosted who stands for $10,000. Baffert cannot race in the Derby so it will be interesting who gets the colt prior to the race.

2 - Race 8 @ FG - 01/20/24 - Cornishman trained by Brad Cox -maiden debut - closed a ton in a good maiden race which the winner benefitted from an inside trip/close to the pace. My guess is that he'll break his maiden in his next start and be pointed for the Louisiana Derby in March. Bred by Curlin, he's bred to go longer distances.

I'm looking to make future wagers on both colts.

Let's get a Derby thread going with the goal of picking a few winners. I know my brother @NINE-LIVES will be here!

This past Saturday, two debut runners that really impressed me.

1 - Race 1 @ SA - 01/20/24 - Maymum trained by Bob Baffert - scintillating debut for this 900K purchase - 6 1/2 romp in 1:15.2 (six furlongs in 1:09) A son of Frosted who stands for $10,000. Baffert cannot race in the Derby so it will be interesting who gets the colt prior to the race.

2 - Race 8 @ FG - 01/20/24 - Cornishman trained by Brad Cox -maiden debut - closed a ton in a good maiden race which the winner benefitted from an inside trip/close to the pace. My guess is that he'll break his maiden in his next start and be pointed for the Louisiana Derby in March. Bred by Curlin, he's bred to go longer distances.

I'm looking to make future wagers on both colts.
Haven't done too deep of a dive right now but I have been all over Fierceness since the Breeders cup Juvenile.
Dornoch out of a Good Magic, with Big Brown on Dam Side, like the pedigree.
Muth (another Baffert horse) again out of Good Magic and Uncle Mo on Dam Side

Those have been the three I have been following , but so much more too come as the Derby trail heats up!!

Haven't done too deep of a dive right now but I have been all over Fierceness since the Breeders cup Juvenile.
Dornoch out of a Good Magic, with Big Brown on Dam Side, like the pedigree.
Muth (another Baffert horse) again out of Good Magic and Uncle Mo on Dam Side

Those have been the three I have been following , but so much more too come as the Derby trail heats up!!
Dornoch is a full brother to Mage. Can lightning strike twice? What a story that would be.

I watched the replay, looked like he handled the 6.5 F with ease, as he galloped out pretty strong after that.
Certainly is a contender based on that race. See what he does next time out at a longer distance. Any idea when his next race is?
My guess would be the Grade III Lewis at SA which offers 20 points to the winner on Feb 3rd at a mile and a sixteen.

I watched the replay, looked like he handled the 6.5 F with ease, as he galloped out pretty strong after that.
Certainly is a contender based on that race. See what he does next time out at a longer distance. Any idea when his next race is?
My only concern is that being by Frosted, a very face horse best known for the wicked Met Mile win as a four year old, is that perhaps there is a distance limitation. This is the first Baffert horse since Nadal a few years back, that really impressed me. Nadal was undefeated until getting injured before the Derby a few years back.

All Baffert triple crown eligible runners will not go to the Derby as his owners are standing by their man.
Noble of the owners to stand with Baffert, if I am one of those owners with a live horse for the Derby, Baffert can kick rocks.
He has had his days in the sun, its a once and a lifetime opportunity for most owners in the game. Thanks Bob, but you gotta go.

What a bummer this wicked with Locked and Nysos being scratched. Looking forward to the Florida Derby on the 30th.

I was impressed the way Forever Young rallied to win last week in Dubai. One of these years the Japanese are going to win one, though their track record isn’t good.

I have narrowed my derby selections to 7 ponies, lol.
Sierra Leone
Catching Freedom
Honor Marie
Just A Touch
Forever Young
Resilience
Epic Ride

Going to box them all and enjoy a couple of mint juleps.
Good luck to anyone playing