Keeping up on your Tetanus booster......

I seriously encourage that everyone be up to date with the Tetanus booster shot. I didn't and paid the price. I was offered it a few years back but passed because I was worried it might make my arm sore for a few days and interfer with work. In turn for my neglect I lost nearly a month of my life. It's something we don't think because we only have to do about but we should.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
I am so behind on that one. It makes my arm so sore, I'm loathe to do it. Last time was 1991. Fucking piano teacher had no sympathy for me either, the bitch.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Yeah I have to get a flu shot every year cause I am what they call at risk. I hate those shots well I hate doctors. Oh well I guess it could be worse...

I am so paranoid now I had my flu already, I never bother with it before. I now understand why there is a reason for getting your vaccination because you although we all think, oh I'm healthy it can't happen to me the reality is that is possible even to healthy people.
It is especially important for you as you literally come in close contact with many people.

Funny you should mention this because I just had the tetanus booster last month. I got the shot before I traveled abroad, which was recommended on several travel web sites. Honestly it didn't hurt at all, just a little pinch. The soreness wasn't bad either, only a minor irritant for 2 or 3 days.

It is especially important for you as you literally come in close contact with many people.
Not as many as thought. It's not contact with my clients I worry about at all, it's children, bless them but they are little incubators. I wish my doctor warned me about the other things the tetanus protects you from besides rusty nails, could have saved me alot of problems. I started this thread because I didn't know and I am a well imformed person so I want to warn others. I cannot stress enough to be smart about updatin the booster every ten years.

Last edited:
Not as many as thought. It's not contact with my clients I worry about at all, it's children, ....
Yes indeed children are germ buckets - but I assume many of your clients have children and thus they (the clients) are a conduit between you and the children.

BTW - the booster every 10 years is a recommendation. An alternative strategy of a booster in young adulthood and a last single booster at 50 years of age may be as effective and safer and may be a better booster strategy. It just so happens to have been my MD's opinion and I did a bit of research after I got mine and he may be right. This assumes you have had the proper series as a child. Since I was in the service in my 20's I got every possible shot you can think of then and in my mid 50's I got the booster.

Also the "rusty nail" is not quite correct - its a puncture wound from an object contaminated with tetanus bacteria that is the problem - rusty (and not rusty) nails can cause puncture wounds and can cause tetanus.

what about hepatitis B?
At least that vaccination is self explanatory. I am going to call the CDC and complain that they should change the name of the tetanus vaccination to contagious bacterial infections vaccination. I think more people will opt not to pass on it had a more direct and scary name. I think of lock jaw (had that once, interesting experience) or rusty nail infection (like that happens everyday) when I think of it not the other things it prevents.