Jury Duty.......

If you get the wrong judge (they have heard it all) he can really ruin your day. The best thing to do is not to be there in the 1st place.
I remember once being called for jury duty and when the judge went through the jurors to hear the excuses for being excused, he was being a hard ass. One woman said that she was a single stay-at-home mom with a toddler and the judge told her that she could hire a babysitter. Another woman said that she was a self-employed tax preparer (this was February) and she needed to work. The judge didn't excuse her.

Another time, when I was still in college, I got called to jury duty. I was selected to sit on the jury and during the interview process, when I said that I was a student, the judge interjected and asked if it would be an issue for me since it was the second week of the semester and the trial was expected to last 4 weeks. I replied that I could get excused from my classes, but the semester is only 14 weeks long, so I would miss a huge chunk of the semester, so the judge excused me.

One thing not mentioned so far is your residence. Have you thought about "changing" (figure it out what I am saying) your residence to another county or even better another state and responding to the notice that you are no longer a candidate in their jurisdiction. You could then change it back. You may have to open a PO Box to get all your important mail (credit card bills) and have all other mail forwarded to the "new address". You could change back I would think in a couple of months.
That wouldn't work for federal court though. Since the federal court system is broken out into districts, you could have someone from pretty far away have to drive to court. Federal district court does pay much better than municipal court. And the rules are that if you have to drive more than 80 miles to get to the courthouse, the court will pay you a daily meal and lodging per diem based on the federal CONUS per diem tables.

Been called several times never served, never even had to sit. Got out of it every single time. It's so easy I can't post it in public cause it would be ruined for all my friends still doing it.
Been called several times as well, but the case either got settled before trial or I was excused through attorney challenges. There was a couple of cases that I wanted to sit on, but was the first juror to be challenged. One was a salesman at a high tech government contractor that was suing his employer. Was removed from the panel by the plaintiff's attorney because I had a background in government contracting and sales commission plans.

The most recent case was a criminal case where the guy was charged with tieing up and raping his stepdaughter and then beating her and her mother with a guitar, so he was charged with rape, assault and kidnapping. Again I was the first person kicked off the jury through a jury challenge by the defense. The funny thing was that there was another guy on the jury whose girlfriend was raped once, and the defense kept him on the jury.

Been called several times as well, but the case either got settled before trial or I was excused through attorney challenges. There was a couple of cases that I wanted to sit on, but was the first juror to be challenged. One was a salesman at a high tech government contractor that was suing his employer. Was removed from the panel by the plaintiff's attorney because I had a background in government contracting and sales commission plans.

The most recent case was a criminal case where the guy was charged with tieing up and raping his stepdaughter and then beating her and her mother with a guitar, so he was charged with rape, assault and kidnapping. Again I was the first person kicked off the jury through a jury challenge by the defense. The funny thing was that there was another guy on the jury whose girlfriend was raped once, and the defense kept him on the jury.
I think most guys knew or are close to a women who had been a victim of a violent crime. It's funny as I was reading the first couple of sentences of the recent case I thought this is easy, guilty - life without the possibility of parole. I guess I would be not be asked to serve on any case like that.

That wouldn't work for federal court though. Since the federal court system is broken out into districts, you could have someone from pretty far away have to drive to court. Federal district court does pay much better than municipal court. And the rules are that if you have to drive more than 80 miles to get to the courthouse, the court will pay you a daily meal and lodging per diem based on the federal CONUS per diem tables.
Federal service is much more unlikely (1:10, at most, at my company in past 15 years)

I.... It's funny as I was reading the first couple of sentences of the recent case I thought this is easy, guilty - life without the possibility of parole. I guess I would be not be asked to serve on any case like that.
I guess since you never want to be on a jury you will never be able to sit in judgment for a guy like that.

I know someone who met thier future husband at Jury Duty. Who knows maybe it's the new pick up spot.

I actually do have problems with being crushed in with groups of people, being in small unfamiliar places and bright lights. I was on the subway once and the train was stuck for what seemed like forever, it was really crowded the next thing I knew I was hyperventing and like I was going to faint, it was horrible. We had to move to the first couple of cars to get out and the conductor was called because I was too much of a mess to walk myself through. I didn't take the train for two years after that.
I guess this doesnt belong here but it is very informative.
You have a form of agoraphobia and claustrophobia. Being in a certain situation gives you panic attacks which is what you had. The only thing that helps is cognitive therapy and it only "helps" but it is significant. A quick fix of 1mg of ativan an hr before the situation helps too but who wants to do that every time they get on the train. I know because I HATE the subway but take it everyday!

As an example, lawyers, judges, law enforcement officers, etc., are NEVER seated on a jury, as they are not considered to be peers.

That isn't true at all.

While lawyers, judges and law enforcement officer are rarely, if ever, seated on criminal cases there are civil cases going on too. These draw from the jury pool as well. These individuals you name can certainly be seated on those juries.

I, myself, was seated [eventually becoming foreman] on a jury in a wrongful death suit.

I guess since you never want to be on a jury you will never be able to sit in judgment for a guy like that.
You have it wrong, I would not mind sitting on a jury, I woudl find it fascinating but it's all the other things I don't do go through like getting up early, being in a government building and I just know the lighting will be horrible.

Last edited:

billyS

Reign of Terror
You have it wrong, I would not mind sitting on a jury, I woudl find it fascinating but it's all the other things I don't do go through like getting up early, being in a government building and I just know the lighting will be horrible.
Is that it ? Why not just tell them that I'm sure they will just send you home.

You aren't afraid or me, are you? :)

wishing well...
I would be if you were sitting in front of me with a robe and hammer grilling me with questions, then yes I would be very afraid. We met in pleasant and a relaxed setting, it's not the people so much as the atmosphere that's makes me feel really uncomfortable. You sort have to know what I experienced in my life to understand the origins.

Is that it ? Why not just tell them that I'm sure they will just send you home.
Not sure if your kidding? I am going to tell them accompanied with a note from my shrink but how it will fly really depends on how understanding they are. If it doesn't work I am sure when my migraine (which happens whenever I am stressed) kicks in the screaming from my agonizing pain will release me. I am really set in my ways and things that would stress others don't bother me but some everyday things do. I am not sure how I would handle sitting under fluorescents and herded around, one of the reasons I never learned to drive is that I don't want to go to DMV, I have to do it ever couple of years to renew my state ID and it's hell for me and I always leave feeling sick. I guess this summons has set me in a bit of a panic thinking about it, I know I am not going to sleep the night before.

Federal service is much more unlikely (1:10, at most, at my company in past 15 years)
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.......got selected for jury duty 6 times in my life......2 times to Federal court, 1 time to state court, and 3 times to local courts.

I think what it boils down to is yes, my comfort level concerns can be dealt with but maybe they are manifested from something else. Being a part of this buisness you can't help but to feel uncomfortable around legal environments. I feel what I do should be legal and I am okay with it but most of society does frown upon it. I don't even like walking past cops on the street and if someone knocks at my door at home unannounced my heart starts beating. I was in a cab the other day that was pulled over by cops and my heart was pounding even though I know the driver was the one in suspicion. I guess a certain degree of paranoia is inevitable when you are involved with this industry. If I am unnerved by incidents that are brief how will I handle being around it for hours.