Jury Duty.......

maybe they use the voter registration?
They use accord to the talk they give at the start:
DMV
Voter registration
social security recipients
welfare recipients
unemployment list

They also said if your name is on one list as John T. Jones and on a second list as J. Thomas Jones, you increase your odds at getting called ( as each is treated as a different person) and in some cases could get 2 calls at the same time that you will have to straighten out.

Em.. the only surest way I know to get out of jury service is to actually go, and when you step up to the jury clerk and tell them that you are a lawyer about to pick a jury yourself in that very courthouse.... dress nice... and have a case name ready... I did just that last friday, and it worked... but then again.. I was about to select a jury in that very courthouse.... hhmm... good luck.

I got out of it once when I was scheduled to report on the day my father died. They were very sympathetic. Try telling them you've had a death in the family.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
Emily, if you have the same kind of reaction in the courtroom as you did on the stalled subway, I doubt they'll keep you in the jury.

I just got called for jury duty. Hit my # the 1st day. They said show at 8:30 - I arrived at 9 at the end of the film they show you. They started calling names at 9:30 or so. (sat reading the paper for an hour). Went to a panel. The lawyers made it very clear that if you dont want to be there they dont want you on the jury - so just tell them. They picked the people they needed by 12:30. The clerk came in to thank the rest of us, gave us a ticket for our employers saying we served the day and told us we were done for next 6 (4?)years (county) and next 2 years(federal) and to enjoy the rest of the day. ( the time was NOT stamped on the ticket - just the date served).

Last edited:
It's Your Duty

Not intended at anyone in particular - but as far as I am concerned people who try to get out of jury duty are irresponsible scum bags who do not appreciate their responsibilities as citizens, and they should be stripped of their citizenship and deported to Somalia, where they can hopefully gain an appreciation of what it is to have American citizenship and be an American. We have soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan who are sacrificing their lives for unappreciative scumbags who want to live like Kings and Queens but cannot be bothered with a small sacrifice like jury duty? Give me a fucking break! That is a disgrace if you ask me.

I am an attorney so when I got called for jury duty in the past I usually got excused quickly because the other attorneys know me or know other attorneys in my firm. But if I was picked I would serve no matter the inconvenience financial or otherwise. It's my duty.

Last edited: