Jeter makes HOF

So this guy sits down in front of his ballot and doesn't put a check near Jeter's name. What is he thinking?Wondering what his reasoning for thinking Jeter was not a Hall if Fame player

This deserves its own thread not buried in the Yankees 2020 thread.

One of the greatest shortstops of all time, definitely in the top five if not the top three.

So many great moments in his career. So many goosebumps watching this guy.

So glad he was a Yankee.

Congrats to #2
Thoughts on the top 3 or 5?

So this guy sits down in front of his ballot and doesn't put a check near Jeter's name. What is he thinking?Wondering what his reasoning for thinking Jeter was not a Hall if Fame player
Theories are, he forgot,
Or, he thinks he's a Hall of Famer, just not first round.
I'm sure now, seeing what a bone head mistake he made, we'll never know who it was, out of fear of reprisals.

I am a lifelong Yankee fan ... BUT ... I really soured on Jeter towards the end of his career. Holding up the Yankees for a large contract when he clearly didnt' deserve it. He was NEVER underpaid. At the end he stuck it to the Yankees because he could. THEN .... when he obviously was a step slow in the field he refused to be moved off short. AND THEN .... in his last year or two he should have been moved DOWN in the lineup but refused. LET ME MAKE SURE I AM CLEAR ... I KNOW HE WASN'T ASKED .... for some fucked up reason Girardi never asked Jeter to move from short or out of the 2 hole ..... (That is one reason I was not so high on Girardi) .... HOWEVER ... Jeter should have went to Girardi and offered to move. If he was such a team player ... he should have done so. Aside from that ... he was an excellent player easily deserving of HOF election. They had better not make a monument for him though. He does not deserve to be alongside Babe, Lou, DiMaggio and Mantle. I include Yogi too .... he should have a monument - OK to have his plaque and number retired ,.. just no monument. There - I hope my Yankee compadres don't hate me for this. Jeter is just a bit much for me and I don't think he is deserving of such lofty accolades.

I am a lifelong Yankee fan ... BUT ... I really soured on Jeter towards the end of his career. Holding up the Yankees for a large contract when he clearly didnt' deserve it. He was NEVER underpaid. At the end he stuck it to the Yankees because he could. THEN .... when he obviously was a step slow in the field he refused to be moved off short. AND THEN .... in his last year or two he should have been moved DOWN in the lineup but refused. LET ME MAKE SURE I AM CLEAR ... I KNOW HE WASN'T ASKED .... for some fucked up reason Girardi never asked Jeter to move from short or out of the 2 hole ..... (That is one reason I was not so high on Girardi) .... HOWEVER ... Jeter should have went to Girardi and offered to move. If he was such a team player ... he should have done so. Aside from that ... he was an excellent player easily deserving of HOF election. They had better not make a monument for him though. He does not deserve to be alongside Babe, Lou, DiMaggio and Mantle. I include Yogi too .... he should have a monument - OK to have his plaque and number retired ,.. just no monument. There - I hope my Yankee compadres don't hate me for this. Jeter is just a bit much for me and I don't think he is deserving of such lofty accolades.
You are not the only Yank fan that feels that way.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Let me ask this.
OK, No monument like Steve said. ( I agree)
Definitely a plaque? Of coarse.
Should he have his Number retired?
They already did and the answer is yes he should have.
Now that you got me started I don't think the following numbers should be;
1, 6, 9,10, 20, 23, 37, 44, 46, 49, 51
and they should put 21 and 13 back into circulation.
And those are some of my all-time favorite players above especially 23 and 44.

Interesting. So they retired too many numbers is really what you are saying.....

I agree with you on #9 for sure.
Rizzuto is kind of a Yank Icon, and was really good. Sometime number dont do justice.
23, I agree, but I think they did it for the Fans.
#37 ? A legend. How many Championships did he manage? 8? Deserved to be retired, I believe.
I agree with you on #44.
#49 is one of my all time fav players, so I will say deserved, but not sure. But glad it is.
51 ? Prob unsung hero of those teams, and I am sure personality had something to do with it...

I am not a huge Jeter groupie, I expressed my thoughts on him in Yankee thread or earlier in this one maybe? I forget.

I think maybe your opinion on Jeter is more "What did you do for me lately" then the entire course of his career. he was not a great player from 2010/11 until his retirement, Very average. But when he was in his prime he was clutch. 1996 Jefferey Mayer HR, Rookie of the Year, Flip Play, All Star MVP, WS MVP, No drama, NO PED's, Professional to a T (Maybe because he was so business like is why some fans hate on him, because he didn't let emotions interfere with his actions or words), Mr.November, has the most hits in post season history, most doubles, triples, runs scored, 3rd most home runs.

He won 5 gold gloves, the most except for Ozzie Smith, Concepcion, Vizquel, and Aparicio.
He won 5 WS rings
Played an elite position

But for me, most importantly is 3,465 hits. Thats 6th most out of an estimated 17,000 Major League ball players to have played the game at that level (Excluding Negro League and Minor Leaguers). A hit is a hit is a hit, only 5 MLB players have more than he had. That is the incredible stat that ONE voter said, "No, he's not worthy" that is ridiculous.

Again, I was never a Jeter man crush type, but that stat in itself can't be overlooked. Sure, lot's of other players should have been unanimous, but in the end he did it in a span when lots were cheating, taking PED's, and he stayed the course and never got caught up in that crap. That's integrity, something the game is searching for right now after this cheating scandal. That says a lot to me about character, that IS/SHOULD be an intangible that gets considered when voting for HOF candidates. Something that 1 voter personally overlooked.

Congrats to Jeter, a GREAT Yankee, a Generational talent we as Yankee fans had the chance to watch. We can only hope Torres, Judge, Severino, Andujar, and Sanchez (I cringe putting him in here) could duplicate half of what he did in his career. Last time I looked, none of those cats have a ring, or any of the personal awards Jeter has (Judge got humped for ROY).