iPhone....

If anyone can advise, I'm looking to get a gift for my brother. Basically looking for a pda or smartphone type of thing. Not for business, basically for fun, IMing, *****, and internet. I heard the Iphone has a special youtube player, anything else out there have that feauture? I suppose Flash capability is out of the question? Also a nice big screen and comfortable keyboard would be nice. So basically, a good internet experience without having to look for a hotspot. Any suggestions?
you might want to take a look at the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet.

http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,n800

Don't buy directly from Nokia....I think circuit city has it for $199

Last edited:
Thanks, but I think that only works on Wifi, right?
yes it does...

I think best solution for you is to get a smartphone with a Internet Subscription. I'm not aware of any other device except laptops where you can subscribe to Mobile Internet thru verizon and other carriers.

Most of the new tech toys are wifi enabled since you can fiind them very easily now.

yes it does...

I think best solution for you is to get a smartphone with a Internet Subscription. I'm not aware of any other device except laptops where you can subscribe to Mobile Internet thru verizon and other carriers.

Most of the new tech toys are wifi enabled since you can fiind them very easily now.
Yeah I guess that's probably the best way. Probably go for a smartphone like a Blackjack or AT&T Tilt. I remember seeing a very portable tiny Sony Vaio with like a 4" screen but it was always priced at about $1800. I waited for the price to come down but now I don't see it around at all.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Not a device, but software. I believe it works, but haven't tried it, as I have no need to.

I did unlock my iphone before the previous update. When that update came out, I re-locked my iPhone so I could update it. Then I never bothered to unlock it again.

I had only unlocked it originally as an experiment. But it worked fine.

Voyager?

Ok, so I narrowed it down to either the AT&T Tilt, Verizon Voyager or the Iphone. Anybody use the Voyager? Looks similiar to the Iphone only with 3G speed. How the web pages look on it? How well does it work for e - m a i l?

Last edited:
You might consider...

Ok, so I narrowed it down to either the AT&T Tilt, Verizon Voyager or the Iphone. Anybody use the Voyager? Looks similiar to the Iphone only with 3G speed. How the web pages look on it? How well does it work for e - m a i l?
Depends on what you are doing with it.

If you are doing REAL business with your device you want the HTC TyTN [ATT-8525] . If you are doing REAL business and want a slightly faster processor, more memory and GPS means anything to you than get the HTC Tilt [also known as the TyTN II].

I've been using an 8525 for 14 months. I just upgraded to the Tilt, because the GPS works great with Windows Live Search Mobile, and I will actually use it as I am on the road a lot. The faster processer [they are both 400mhz, but the Tilt sports a dual core chip from a different manufacturer than the 8525 and runs a bit faster] and extra memory are nice to have as well.

The Tilt sports a 3Mpix camera that is better than the one on the 8525 as well, if that means anything [not important to me] and can be set to use as a mobile webcam if needed.

If you get the Tilt add the Spb Software's "Pocket Plus" [latest version is 4.02]. It truly adds to the functionality of any Mobile PC Smartphone or PDA. You won't need Voice Commander 1.6, as you would with the 8525, as it is built into Windows Mobile PC ver. 6.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Oh, and if you use the web a lot you will want to swap Mobile IE in favor of Opera [full mobile version]. Much better at rendering HTML than Internet Explorer in their mobile versions.

Yeah I guess that's probably the best way. Probably go for a smartphone like a Blackjack or AT&T Tilt. I remember seeing a very portable tiny Sony Vaio with like a 4" screen but it was always priced at about $1800. I waited for the price to come down but now I don't see it around at all.

How about the Asus Eee PC...this thing is awesome. I just got one from work and looks good so far. Still the 1gig ram version is in demand I think. I'm going to rip this sucker to see what upgrades can be done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=eee+pc&x=14&y=30

Any the portable Sony VAIO UX180P Micro PC is only $1099...Remember seeing it for $999 couple of weeks ago.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-laptop...l-centrino-core-solo/q/loc/101/202697765.html

The rumor is that at MacWorld later this month, Apple will be announcing the iPhone 2 to be released later this year.
Around June Apple will release the next generation iPhone that will use ATT's 3G data network, which is something like 3-5 times faster than current EDGE network.

Also, too, if you unlock your iPhone, all you can really use it in this country is with T-Mobile, and their data network is worse than ATT's.

Last edited:
How about the Asus Eee PC...this thing is awesome. I just got one from work and looks good so far. Still the 1gig ram version is in demand I think. I'm going to rip this sucker to see what upgrades can be done.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=eee+pc&x=14&y=30

Any the portable Sony VAIO UX180P Micro PC is only $1099...Remember seeing it for $999 couple of weeks ago.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-laptop...l-centrino-core-solo/q/loc/101/202697765.html
Neat ultra portable, but a different category from what we are talking about [device that can fit in pants pocket] and not a true convergence device: Phone, PDA/PIM, media player.

The iPhone, in its current configuration, doesn't qualify because it fails as a business device [PDA/PIM] due to lack of support of enterprise mail and its not being a true pocket PC. Also add that the only way to type on it is to use the on screen keypad which takes up more than a third of the screen real estate making it very hard to use and still see what you are typing.

Now, if they just let it loose and allowed it to be turned into the portable Mac it is capable of being than you'd have something. Right now to do that requires jumping through hacking hoops, which don't always work, voiding your warranty and other issues.
[and you still have the keyboard issue]

Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. Looks like 8525 or actually the 8925 is the way to go for me. It seems like a real powerhouse too. Probably use the Opera browser with it as it seems to be a lot better than monile IE.

Well No news from Mr.Jobs about the new iphone @ the Macworld. looks like we might have to wait for a while.
They did announce some software changes to the iPhone....adding aGPS (locates you on the map based on using the cell towers to triangulate your position), finally allowing you to SMS to multiple addresses, and a few other small things. Of course, installing the update will relock the phone and potentially brick it if you got it unlocked to work on TMobile.

Advise please................

I am not a tech person but can figure out some things. My Sprint contract is finally up (thank goodness, I hate that company) and I was given an Iphone as a late holiday gift so I joined the AT&T network and like the Iphone very much for my limited needs. I am stuck trying to figure out two things. 1) transferring my SIM card info from my old phone. I have to many contacts numbers that transferring them all of them by hand would take a long while. Does anyone know how I transfer my contacts easier? 2) The safari is great for me. I can view my Yahoo Classic page and use my mail plus options but I believe there is no cut and paste option, am I wrong? I normally am by a laptop when I am available to post on CL but I would like to know if I can do it on the phone also. Any advise would be appreciated. I could call the help number but I trust the advise on here more.

I am not a tech person but can figure out some things. My Sprint contract is finally up (thank goodness, I hate that company) and I was given an Iphone as a late holiday gift so I joined the AT&T network and like the Iphone very much for my limited needs. I am stuck trying to figure out two things. 1) transferring my SIM card info from my old phone. I have to many contacts numbers that transferring them all of them by hand would take a long while. Does anyone know how I transfer my contacts easier? 2) The safari is great for me. I can view my Yahoo Classic page and use my mail plus options but I believe there is no cut and paste option, am I wrong? I normally am by a laptop when I am available to post on CL but I would like to know if I can do it on the phone also. Any advise would be appreciated. I could call the help number but I trust the advise on here more.
Emily,

Sprint uses CDMA phones, so there is no SIM card. What kind of phone did you have with Sprint? If it was a PDA smartphone or a Blackberry, it is fairly simple to export your phonebook data out. However, if it is a "regular" phone, it is a bit more difficult. You need a data cable to connect your phone to a PC, and then you can extract the data out. From there you then need to get it into a format that can sync with an address book like Microsoft Outlook. From there, you can then import it into your iPhone.

Emily,

Sprint uses CDMA phones, so there is no SIM card. What kind of phone did you have with Sprint? If it was a PDA smartphone or a Blackberry, it is fairly simple to export your phonebook data out. However, if it is a "regular" phone, it is a bit more difficult. You need a data cable to connect your phone to a PC, and then you can extract the data out. From there you then need to get it into a format that can sync with an address book like Microsoft Outlook. From there, you can then import it into your iPhone.
I had an i930 nextel phone. I have no idea where my cables are to tranfer the sim card to Microsoft outlook. I think I have to do it manually over time. My contract is up but my phone still works to access my contact list, I hope it stays that way. Thank you for your advise.

I had an i930 nextel phone. I have no idea where my cables are to tranfer the sim card to Microsoft outlook. I think I have to do it manually over time. My contract is up but my phone still works to access my contact list, I hope it stays that way. Thank you for your advise.
oh, ok....Nextel is a different animal altogether.