Intel Macs + OSX = Ugh!

Is it just me, or does the combination of the OSX operating system with the new Intel Macs make them simply more complicated to use than ever? With the old operating system, it was relatively easy to troubleshoot problems, install and copy software from one computer to another, etc. I recently had to replace a harddrive on a laptop, and when I reinstalled all my applications I ran into all sorts of problems that have taken hours to fix. In the old days, it wouldn't have been a problem. Just try to locate your Firefox bookmarks folder, for example, when you back up your system -- it's next to impossible. Stuff like that drives me up the wall!

(I'm still trying to get my old Palm software to run. I've literally spent over two hours with a live Palm tech trying to figure it out, to no avail. Of course, some of that has to do with Palm —*don't get me started — still, it shouldn't be this difficult.)

Is it just me, or does the combination of the OSX operating system with the new Intel Macs make them simply more complicated to use than ever? With the old operating system, it was relatively easy to troubleshoot problems, install and copy software from one computer to another, etc. I recently had to replace a harddrive on a laptop, and when I reinstalled all my applications I ran into all sorts of problems that have taken hours to fix. In the old days, it wouldn't have been a problem. Just try to locate your Firefox bookmarks folder, for example, when you back up your system -- it's next to impossible. Stuff like that drives me up the wall!

(I'm still trying to get my old Palm software to run. I've literally spent over two hours with a live Palm tech trying to figure it out, to no avail. Of course, some of that has to do with Palm —*don't get me started — still, it shouldn't be this difficult.)
So you think Mac was better of not using an Intel chips...So if Windows used IBM PowerPc, it will have less blue screen of death...hmmmm

Remeber classic Mac OS-X, it was great..drop every appication in a zip and take it to another machine..(even the OS on older boxes) Now the 23-year-old OS won't even run on PowerPC machines running Leopard. It will never run on an Intel Mac.

Oh well some times changes are for the worst

Remeber classic Mac OS-X, it was great..drop every appication in a zip and take it to another machine..(even the OS on older boxes) Now the 23-year-old OS won't even run on PowerPC machines running Leopard. It will never run on an Intel Mac.

Oh well some times changes are for the worst
Oh well, it seems that Apple folks are having many of the same headaches that Windows folks had when Microsoft went from XP to Vista.

I am sticking to Mac OS 10.4.x and XP but for how long will I be able to do it. The machines get old, the new versions of the programs will probably require the new systems. Can you resist change even if it does not make sense? Can I wait for a better generation and skip Vista and whatever new OS Mac is cooking?

Monk...

For the most part the way OS X stores files is not tied to Intel vs PPC. In users/Library you will find the majority of the files the applications use (including bookmarks from Firefox). The issues it seems you are having are tied to OSX!

How did you have your files backed up? Was it a full backup or piecemeal?

As far as the Palm stuff, that may have to do with Intel and Rosetta (the way the Intel chips use PPC applications)

Last edited:
Just try to locate your Firefox bookmarks folder, for example, when you back up your system -- it's next to impossible. Stuff like that drives me up the wall!
There's a great extension for Firefox called Foxmarks. What this extension does is to allow you to upload all your existing bookmarks to their server. Then simply install Firefox with Foxmarks on your new computer (or new Hard drive), log on to your Foxmarks account and down load your bookmarks, book mark folders and book marks Bar to your new copy of Firefox. Foxmarks is also now available for IE 7 and 8 bata and Safari browsers.

I am sticking to Mac OS 10.4.x and XP but for how long will I be able to do it. The machines get old, the new versions of the programs will probably require the new systems. Can you resist change even if it does not make sense? Can I wait for a better generation and skip Vista and whatever new OS Mac is cooking?
i think you can hold your breath for windows 7. with all the vista-hating, i'm still running xp professional on my machines. haven't had any software compatibility issues.

then again, i'm still running OS10.3.9 on my personal laptop. :p

i think you can hold your breath for windows 7. with all the vista-hating, i'm still running xp professional on my machines. haven't had any software compatibility issues.

Thanks. I like your approach. I am almost on the same boat, but it was not exactly my choice (merit or fault).

One thing no one has mentioned is that when 64 bit Windows 7 becomes more common (when the price of ram goes down), Microsoft will be able to run a 32 bit version of Windows XP and/or Windows Vista from within 64 bit Windows 7 along with native Windows 7 applications using multi-tasking. This should solve all compatibility issues while still moving forward to realize all the advantages of a state of the art OS.

Really? 10.3.9???

I am not saying Leopard is the greatest OS Apple has produced, but 10.4.11 is by far superior to jaguar (10.3.x)
yeah, i know. i rebuilt my box (12" G4) a while back (swapped out HD, upped memory) and installed the OS it originally came with. just been too busy to track down a copy of a newer OS to upgrade.

i'm probably the only tool who doesn't have dashboard :D

Not yet. I connected my new lap top with a MYPassport hard drive and the system asked me about the Time Machine. I skipped as I was busy doing something. I still have not gone back to it.

Are you using it?