IMac Printer Suggestions

Hey people what's up?

Well my problem is that i recently bought an Apple IMac since my Dell PC kept crashing. I feel it was the best decision I ever made.

My question-->> What is a compatible and reliable Printer?

I tried a Hewlitt Packard and also my original Brothers printer but for some reason i can't print a damn thing. I tried to install the startup disks but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Maybe go to HP's site & see if you can download the appropraite Mac-compatible software... My son had the same problem & he was able to get a "patch" from HP that solved it... good luck

The only thing you should check is (depending on how old your printer is) whether the printer driver software on the HP site for your model is compatible with Apple's latest operating system.

I use a Canon ink jet printer with my Mac and it was pretty much plug and play once I installed software from the discs that came with the printer. Much better than the Epson experience I had a few years earlier. The Canon also prints text much better than my Epson ever did.

HP places their printers in series, that is they release models that are essentially the same, but with slight improvements. I have a HP Laserjet 1012, HP created 1010, 1012, 1015, 1018, 1020, 1022, 1022n and the 1022nw. These are basically all the same printer and they all use the same drivers. You may not be able to find Leopard drivers for your old HP printer, but they should be available for the latest model HP printer in your series, and they should work on your old printer.

Hey people what's up?

Well my problem is that i recently bought an Apple IMac since my Dell PC kept crashing. I feel it was the best decision I ever made.

I tried a Hewlitt Packard and also my original Brothers printer but for some reason i can't print a damn thing. I tried to install the startup disks but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Not to change the topic too much. I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with 4 gig of ram and Windows Vista Home Premium. I had the aero theme turned on. This gave me translucent window borders and the ability to see all my open windows in a sideways 3-D stack. While this is quite nice looking, my computer kept crashing. I turned the aero theme off, giving me Windows Home Basic, but my computer never crashed any more.

Last edited:
Hey people what's up?

Any suggestions? Thanks

Freddy.

The entire HP line should work as long as the proper drivers are installed (and MOST come preinstalled). Unless both printers are archaic they should work! It sounds like you are running into some software issues with the HP.

What have you tried (step by step)?

I've been using an Epson printer with NO problems. Now for your issue. You might have some problems if your HP is an older printer. The way you add printers in the iMac is to use the System Preferences > Print & Fax and click on the + at the bottom. You should be able to plug in the printer and it should detect it.

Also check your Software Update (Apple Menu > Software Update). I saw an HP printer driver update about 1-2 weeks ago....

If all else fails, why don't you just tell us what printer you are using...

sorry guys i have been away. its an older printer HP Deskjet 720c and I checked the website but no luck with the driver.. maybe its time for me to upgrade. thanks for the help.

If you are only printing in black and white, then it makes sense to get a low cost laserjet (HP) or laser printer by some other mfgr. They can be had for as little as $99 from J & R. You only have to replace the cartridge about once in about 2 to 10 years under normal use, ymmv, after all what is normal use?

This makes them far less expensive to own and operate then inkjet printers.

The HP LaserJet P1006 USB Laser Printer which J&R sells for $99.99 uses the HP CB435A 35A Black Toner Cartridge which prints 1,500 pages and it sell for $59.99. The printer comes with a "starter cartridge". This only prints about 500 sheets.

This printer also has a color cartridge, HP CB436A 36A Color Printer Toner Cartridge. This cartridge only produces six colors. It is not a photo quality cartridge, and is really only good for producing color charts and graphs. It also prints about 1,500 pages and also sells for $59.99 at J&R.