If yuo made a six figure salery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by pjorourke
The thing I love about those tax tables is the obvious insanity of trying to "balance the budget by taxing the rich". There just ain't enough of those buggers to do the job. Pretty soon you are talking upper middle class schlubs.
My favorite is when they enacted the so-called "millionaire surcharge", the taxable income level where it kicked in was $250,000 for married filing joint.

justme

homo economicus
The thing I love about those tax tables is the obvious insanity of trying to "balance the budget by taxing the rich". There just ain't enough of those buggers to do the job. Pretty soon you are talking upper middle class schlubs.
Well we could always start taxing based on wealth instead of income...

It's always amusing to me to watch rich people deliniate all their 'essential' expenses.

(I know a couple of 'wealthy' people who live in Manhattan and absolutley do not feel like they have to own a car)

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by justme
Well we could always start taxing based on wealth instead of income...
Or here is a radical idea - total cost of government divided by the number of people -- i.e., per capita. Why should a successful person have to pay for more government than a less successful one -- its not like they consume more, probably less. I bet one outcome of that is that we would have far less government.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
I think it is reasonable for the tax system to take account of the nonlinear value of money, the fact that, say, a hundred dollars is worth more to a person whose total wealth is $1000 thant to one who is worth $10 million. However, if not quite willing to buy PJ's per capita plan, I think you can make a good case for a flat rate...for everyone paying the same fraction of their income.

-Ww

PS - jl has been wrong twice on this topic; surely THIS subthread is the end of the "High End Room" as a viable forum.

justme

homo economicus
Or here is a radical idea - total cost of government divided by the number of people -- i.e., per capita. Why should a successful person have to pay for more government than a less successful one -- its not like they consume more, probably less. I bet one outcome of that is that we would have far less government.
Sounds like a good recipe for revolution.

A review of the High-end room board reveals that I ended three threads already. My goal is to end them all. Considering I have only made like 18 posts, ratio of posts to "thread ends" may be highest on the baord and should qualify me for some special status. Maybe the "terminator." Help me achieve my goals do not fucking reply to this message.

Or here is a radical idea - total cost of government divided by the number of people -- i.e., per capita.
I'm all for lower taxes, but do you really think it's a good idea to ask minimum wage workers to pay 80% of their income in taxes and live off of 1$ an hour? Because this is what your scheme implies.

æ

Originally posted by justme
Sounds like a good recipe for revolution.
...or common sense.

pjorourke

Originally posted by alterego
I'm all for lower taxes, but do you really think it's a good idea to ask minimum wage workers to pay 80% of their income in taxes and live off of 1$ an hour? Because this is what your scheme implies.

æ
Not exactly. I purposely went overboard to make the point that too many people have no financial input to government. They just take out. Thus it is too easy for pols to buy votes with someone else's money. Actually, my preference would be for those minimum wage folks to get so pissed off that they demand that the spending be cut.

p.s. also, I doubt it would be 80% of their income even divided equally.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Fair taxes (an oxymoron?)

p.s. also, I doubt it would be 80% of their income even divided equally.
If my recollection that Feberal revenues are about $2 trillion is correct, then the per capita cost is a bit under $7,000 (but that counts everyone, children, diabled, retired elderly and so forth). It also is only the Federal govt, so state and local govt adds considerably to that cost. It is pretty hard to see how someone earning minimum wage in a full time job (2000 hrs per yr) could afford that, even if single; if he/she had to pay taxes for anyone else in the household (or other dependents), the tax would exceed their income.

It would be interesting to know what the tax rate would be if it were a flat rate (percentage) levied on anyone with an income.

-Ww

Re: Re: 6 figures

Originally posted by jseah
true...six figures don't mean shit.......

I remember back when I was a pimply faced teen in high school, I used to think that if I could earn 40-50k a year, I would be loaded and would want for nothing. If I was told back then that I would be earning the money I do now, I would have said that you were crazy. But the more you make, the more "expensive" your lifestyle becomes.....so net net, you still don't have a whole lot of extra cash as the end of the day.
So, does this mean that condo you were going to buy me on the top floors of Trump Condos is not going to happen? :(

pjorourke

Re: Fair taxes (an oxymoron?)

Originally posted by Wwanderer
If my recollection that Feberal revenues are about $2 trillion is correct, then the per capita cost is a bit under $7,000 (but that counts everyone, children, diabled, retired elderly and so forth). It also is only the Federal govt, so state and local govt adds considerably to that cost. It is pretty hard to see how someone earning minimum wage in a full time job (2000 hrs per yr) could afford that, even if single; if he/she had to pay taxes for anyone else in the household (or other dependents), the tax would exceed their income.

It would be interesting to know what the tax rate would be if it were a flat rate (percentage) levied on anyone with an income.

-Ww
As I noted in my original post, we have way to fricken much government. For example, I personally don't give a flying fuck about snail darters or other dwindling species, and don't understand why we have whole bureaucracies to protect them. I also think that its a good bet that if everyone was paying an equal share, we wouldn't have crap like this -- or investigations like TBD last year.

BTW, to answer your questions, the handy tax distribution tables shows total federal income taxes paid for 2001 of $892 billion by 130 million returns. Thus your estimate of $7 grand per family is about right. Total Adjusted Gross Income was $6.2 trillion so the flat % would be about 14%. Of course, Social Security would be in addition, but there is a benefit earned from those contributions. (Yeah, right Social Security! The world's largest Ponzi scheme.)

I don't understand how you can complain about the TBD investigation. People were breaking the law. If you don't like the law, try to get it changed. But you can't whine about "too much government" because laws are being enforced. (And don't say it's easier to starve the government out of enforcing the laws than it is to get laws changed. That approach would only lead to anti-democratic chaos, where the laws would be enforced selectively on bases that would have no reason to be fair.)

pjorourke

I understand jl. We have been down that road before and I agree with you*. However, my point was that if the public at large was forced to pay for shit like enforcing morality laws, they would probably choose to lose the laws.

Very few government functions would stand up to a broad based cost-benefit analysis.

* I note you didn't defend the snail darter

* I note you didn't defend the snail darter
I didn't defend the snail darter because I know there would be no talking to you about that. We obviously have vastly different views of the appropriate role of government, and I don't think whoreboards are productive places to discuss things like that (unlike such obviously on-topic subjects as food and audio equipment).

But even a pared down government (and I'm generally for less government and regulation) would still have to have a budget. It's hard to imagine a functional state operating with much less that 50% of the current budget. The snail darter doesn't take THAT much of the tax bill.

æ

Status
Not open for further replies.