If you like intoxicating imports from Brazil, try Cachaca

Cachaca is like Rum, but it's made from sugar cane instead of molasses. It tastes better to me then Rum as it doesn't have that murky molasses taste.

Caipirinha, the most popular cocktail made with Cachaca, has become an obsession in Brazilian tourist bars is made from mashed up lemons and sugar.

All rum is derivative of sugar cane, but cachaca is distilled from pure cane, not molasses.

Cachaca is made for blending with lime (not lemon) in capirinhas and what not. You can get clear rum too from Bacardi and other mass producers; it's the cheapest around (although not as strong as cachaca).

However, it's hardly high quality rum. Excellent rum is molasses derivative and is aged for many years, like good scotch. It isn't made to be blended like cachaca or other clear sugar cane rums. You drink it neat.

I drink Cachaca straight because mixing it is too much trouble for me. Yes capirinhas is made from limes and sugar (my mistake). Cachaca started off as a home brew spirit made by slaves and it was as good as you might expect “white lighting” to be. Cachaca has become very popular and now you can buy very expense versions. I've seen brands of Cachaca labeled as “Anejo” selling for as much as $75 for a fifth in New York City. I have never tried the really expensive stuff, but I would expect it to be every bit as refined as the most expensive forms of Rum.

Last edited:
Caipirinhas are made with limes not lemons. A Brazilian would quicker toss it on the floor rather than drink a mis-made caipirinha. And Brazilians drink it straight or strained of it's ice with lime peels tossed in at the end so it doesn't get watered down.

Toss in one whole lime sliced in 8 wedges and four teaspoons of sugar. Mash it together into a slight paste then add some ice and 8 oz of cachaca... shake well and strain into a 4 rocks glasses. You should get 3 oz each (or about 2 shots worth). Toss a few lime rinds in and drink away. Or as the girls say.. "You sissy Americano's can drink it watered down on the rocks".

And Pitu is their brand of choice. The high end stuff has too dull a taste and is often weaker so all the Brazilians say. Pitu (with a crawfish on a black label) is a sweeter brand and goes down smoother.

Also.... never attempt to out drink a Brazilian on this shit. You stand as good a chance of drinking a Russian army officer in Siberia under the table with straight Stoli than a Brazilian with Cachaca. My first attempt was with three of them and these girls who averaged 5'1-5'4 and about 90-110 lbs drank me under their coffee table... then they striped down to their g-strings and bras and danced on it all night.

There's also a new rum on the market made from sugar called "10 CANE"... I was out with a Brazilian last year and we tried it in shots and she didn't like it. It's pretty good as far as rums go, but it falls short of Cachaca.

Last edited:
Yesterday I mixed equal parts of Cachaca 51 and tonic with lime. It had a rather unusual taste, much sweeter then Gin and tonic, but it seems to work. I'm sure no Brazilian would be caught dead drinking such a concoction, but really, who cares? People are creating drinks with Vodka that no Russian peasant ever thought of. I say be creative.

Ozzy said:
...never attempt to out drink a Brazilian on this shit...
Truer words were never said. I learned the truth the hard way years ago in Brazil.

Funny that very few Brazilian girls will order one if they're working -- they'll get shitfaced on beer, tequila, whatever, but not cachaca. Take them out to a club, and you'd think that caipirinhas were some kind of soft drink -- last week I had one drink TWENTY to my three or four (but then again, I had to drive).

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Caipirinhas should be chilled ice cold, not on the rocks.

Ozzy said:
And Brazilians drink it straight or strained of it's ice with lime peels tossed in at the end so it doesn't get watered down.

Toss in one whole lime sliced in 8 wedges and four teaspoons of sugar. Mash it together into a slight paste then add some ice and 8 oz of cachaca... shake well and strain into a 4 rocks glasses. You should get 3 oz each (or about 2 shots worth). Toss a few lime rinds in and drink away. Or as the girls say.. "You sissy Americano's can drink it watered down on the rocks".

Went to ABC liquors in Miami yesterday and the only brand of Cachaca they carry is Pirassununga "51". Had to pick some up for a Brazilian I have coming over this weekend and gave it a try straight.... Niiiice! Tastes a bit like shine.

Ozzy said:
Went to ABC liquors in Miami yesterday and the only brand of Cachaca they carry is Pirassununga "51". Had to pick some up for a Brazilian I have coming over this weekend and gave it a try straight.... Niiiice! Tastes a bit like shine.
Yeah I like 51. Pitu is a bit too sweet for my taste.

All rum is too sweet. And stop mixing it with Coke, which is all sugar.

Look, rum is for women and for queers who drink tropical mixed drinks with umbrellas and crushed ice and think about deep throating cock on South Beach. Unless you're buyng it for some poon like Ozzy, forget cachaca.

My father once told me "Son, scotch is for men and gin is for women." There are two kinds of men: those who appreciate a good sipping scotch and those who don't. Be the former. Drink scotch.

Last edited:
To me Scotch tastes too much like leather or tobacco because the mash is dried in a smoke house like leather is cured, and of course, tobacco is smoked.

If you like cigars, or chewing on leather then I guess Scotch is the way to go

When I want whiskey, I drink Bourbon, good old Kentucky sippin whiskey Bourbon.

I once drank a 24 year old single malt Scotch that must have cost at least $200 a fifth.

It tasted real smooth, without that annoying smoked taste, almost as good as Jim Beam Bourbon that cost only $18 a liter.

Ah - Not Quite

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
All rum is too sweet. And stop mixing it with Coke, which is all sugar.

Look, rum is for women and for queers who drink tropical mixed drinks with umbrellas and crushed ice and think about deep throating cock on South Beach. SNIP....
There are any number of rums that are closely equivalent to good brandy. The older Barbancourts, Planter Gold XO. And then there are the Dark Rums - Meyers, for instance, that are rather good. And if you can find it, they a Lemon Hart 151 neat.

No girlee drinks here.

redleg609 said:
There are any number of rums that are closely equivalent to good brandy.
Who's talking about brandy?

As far as rums go, the aged Habana Club in Cuba is the best I've had. Everything else I've tried falls short. The soil on the island produces the best
cane (and cigars, of course) and the rum is amazing. Much better than those Bajan rums.

IMHO, Barrillito, the Puerto Rican Dark rum is better than Meyers's and very moderately priced.

Last edited: