I am a bad, bad, bad little Troll

I actually managed to get myself blocked from a board for the first time in my life.

The Stanfurd basketball fan's message board, to be exact.

Man, those sheltered little kids sure are sensitive.

[Edited by K.S. on 02-20-2001 at 10:27 AM]

pswope

One out of three
K.S.

Because Karma actually applies in the world of college hoops,your banishment means that Stanford will get bounced from the first round of the NCAA tourney by mighty Weber State and in the future, hip white guys with bounce in their legs will head east and play for John Thompson's son @ Princeton(cheered on of course by Ms Claudy)*.
Please permit some time for this cosmic phenomenon to take effect.

* topical reference to sex worker placed to mollify those annoyed by too many sports references on this board.

No, I'm afraid I don't see the justice in that scenario, either.

I want to see those silly trees beaten, for the next six years, by Cal, UCkLA, *AND* U$C.

And I want the bright young athletes to play for Penn, please.

You know, when I bartended in West Philly, I had a "free beer for Bears" policy. I shoulda done that as a prostitute, too. Only, not free beer.

[Edited by K.S. on 02-20-2001 at 06:02 PM]

KS: Go bears. Graduated from UCAL-Berkeley in 1973 and can assure you that Berkeley runs rings around the Ivies, both on the court and in the classroom. Ok, Crimson and Eli, come back at me; I have taught at both and am ready for your responses.

JMC: thanks for the unbiased opinion. (BTW, "Cantabs" is to Elis as Crimson is to Bulldogs.) We hated 'em both. (My school was self-described as a valley of humility between two peaks of arrogance.)

GO BEARS!!!!!

I have no idea what you're all talking about on this thread but as it happens I am a graduate of that esteemed institute of higher education, UC.Berkeley, and I can tell you for a fact that STANFORD SUCKS!!!!

Originally posted by HornDogBuddah
And I agree -- let's keep the smart athletes out here on the East Coast.
Football players at Northwestern have the highest SAT scores of all college football players....and they had one recent fluke year when they won.

Good smarts and good football don't often go hand in hand.

I actually have very mixed feelings about college sports in general. I sometimes feel a little ashamed of Cal for being in the Pac-10. I'd much rather be in a league like the Ivy League, where there are no overt athletic scholarships. I enjoy myself at Penn games, even though the level of play is nowhere near what you see with schools like Duke or Stanford play. I feel good knowing that those kids are getting a good education as well as having fun playing ball.

Pro sports use colleges as incubators for their athletes, and that ticks me off.

Alumni care too much about their school's athletic glory, so giving is affected by whether or not they go to the championship/bowl game/whatever.

I wonder if I'd feel better about the whole thing if Cal won all the time at everything? I'm not sure!

justme

homo economicus
where there are no overt athletic scholarships
Overt being the operative word, right?

Pro sports use colleges as incubators for their athletes
Much better to leave them to incubate then to pull them out of high school, no?

Alumni care too much about their school's athletic glory
And schools care way too much about the money that alumni send in based on said glory.

getting a good education as well as having fun playing ball
And that's really the issue, right?

First, a disclaimer: I have only recently begun to watch basketball. It has been a concious effort, on my part, to become more "guy friendly" by learning to watch sports. I have discovered that being interested in college basketball will make you well nigh irresistable to men.

But, I don't know much about basketball. Yet. I intend to become a world authority on it. And why not?

Oh, and my responses are interspersed within the quotes below, although the font doesn't look like it.

OK:

Originally posted by justme
where there are no overt athletic scholarships
Overt being the operative word, right?

KS: Well, I would have said simply "no athletic scholarships" but then somebody would have pointed out that they DO find money for talent. I still believe, however, that actively recruiting someone just for their athletic prowess is wrong. I have no problem with rewarding students with exceptional abilities. A fantastic celloist with an SAT of 1000 at Yale does not upset me.

Pro sports use colleges as incubators for their athletes
Much better to leave them to incubate then to pull them out of high school, no?

KS: No, I don't agree with that. The law says you gotta go 'till your sixteen. Parents have authority, as well. Beyond that, I don't care what kids do. I don't believe that everyone should go to college. Too many people go to college (or attend institutions that call themselves colleges. Yes, shades of Paul Fussel here). In fact, I'd say it's unfair that a talented athlete who doesn't have the academic chops to cut the SAT should be precluded from playing professionally.

Alumni care too much about their school's athletic glory
And schools care way too much about the money that alumni send in based on said glory.

KS: No, schools desperately need the money. You want to attract the best faculty and scholars, and the best students. Research, libraries, facilities, these things require a lot of money.

KS: I worry that Cal doesn't get good alumni giving because they basically give away free education. People never appreciate what is free. Stanford alumni give huge amounts of money back, out of gratitude for an education for which they've already paid out the nose.

getting a good education as well as having fun playing ball
And that's really the issue, right?
KS: Yes, that is the issue. I worry that education is sacrificed for athletics at too many schools.

KS: Although, the two or three people I know who were serious athletes in college went to very good schools and were very good students, I think they are not typical.

[Edited by K.S. on 02-23-2001 at 01:47 PM]

It is extremely difficult to succeed in just about any varsity sport at an academically rigorous school while carrying a "serious" major. No, I am not talking about hockey players at Cornell who major in Canadian geography, I'm referring to, say, an engineering or science or math major at a highly selective school who is a starter on a major sports team (baseball, hoops, or football) or even swimming, gymnastics, soccer, hockey, etc.

Student-athletes who are successful academically (e.g., able to go on to graduate or professional school) are to be greatly admired -- relatively few people can do it.

Horndogbuddah:

Oooooh! You've NO IDEA how strong the temptation to brag about my fabulous boyfriend is right now.

Cal beat Washington, at least. Thank God.

justme

homo economicus
KS - be carefull, my ex gf started watching bball only when it became aparent that I wasn't going to stop, and now she's more passionate (last time I checked) about the game than I am.

Regarding recruiting an athlete vs recruiting a student who plays sports... agreed, but I think that this is a distinction in the heads of academic administrators and kids more than anyone else.

Colleges as incubators: Pro sports are a business, I don't think it's unreasonable for a business to expect its professional employees to have a college aducation. The job of an athlete extends well beyond the field and court as they become spokesmen for the business itself. Just looking at the NBA we see that when players come strait from h.s they seem to have a higher incidence of immaturity (surprise), instability (surprise), and lack of respect for authority (surprise). In fact, it's becomming such an issue that the NBA is talking about requiring kids to attend at least a little college. Beyond that, I think it's a horrible idea to give a $20M check to some 18 year old kid especially if that kid hasn't had much of an education. As far as that last bit about the SAT, I'll take it by 'SAT' you mean a slew of rigorous academic standards which truly measure an individuals ability to suceed in college and are especially better at this measurement than a stupid test that time and time again has been shown to be a measure of family income more than anything els, OK?

Schools need money, agreed. But should a school sacrafice its long range vision and academic integrity in the pursuit of funding for its long range vision and academic advancement?

I have no idea what Cal's donations look like, but around here alumni give tons to UT and Texas A&M which are both less expensive than Berkely. Maybe you guys just graduate too many academics who don't make any money... Stanford has a hell of a business school to get donations from, right? (to be clear this is mostly said in a joking tone)

justme

homo economicus
The SAT is absolute crap. Sorry. Meaningless crap. God awful horrible crap. Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap. God I hate that test.

SB: I am living proof that these scores mean nada in real life. (Editing note: Posting my SAT scores was a dumb idea -- brain spasm #4,635,987.)

[Edited by HornDogBuddah on 02-24-2001 at 12:49 PM]