Howard Stern resigns w/ Sirius

I disagree ereuben. Call his humor sophmoric if you want ... however ... he has been on the air for 30 plus years. His audiences have only grown. Now Sirius has given him $400,000,000.00 That's a lot of zeros.

He signed for basically the same 400 million cash as he did 5 years ago and he'll be working a lot less. He just didn't get the 100 mil in stock probably because the SEC spent more time investigating him and that part of his last Sirius contract than they did Madoff.

I've listened to him plenty and seen his movie....he's an ass and his schtick is getting old. it was funny in the 80's when I was a teenager and it was new....he should put his money and fame to work for the place he grew up and help dig long island and roosevelt out of the sewer...instead if living in a glass house and criticizing the world everyday

I've listened to him plenty and seen his movie....he's an ass and his schtick is getting old. it was funny in the 80's when I was a teenager and it was new....he should put his money and fame to work for the place he grew up and help dig long island and roosevelt out of the sewer...instead if living in a glass house and criticizing the world everyday
It's his job to help roosevelt out? Since when does one man's good fortune require him to pay back an area he hated? Roosevelt, nor LI gave him the break in radio.

One of the things i like about him, is that he'll bitch about other people, but he'll bust on himself even more.

The point wasn't one of taste but relevancy.
It depends on what plane you are measuring relevancy in.

I have no doubt that when you are talking about the totality of the radio entertainment medium Howard is very relevant, if only based on revenue upstream generated.

Would he be relevant if one were discussing modern medicine? I don't think so.

Another, more appropriate, example: While I am sure Howard's audience size is comparable to Leno's or Letterman's [maybe it is even bigger, as you suggest], and certainly bigger than Jon Stewarts', I would wager that any of the latter three have a bigger impact on daily political views than Stern. So in the plane of relevancy regarding the impact on the political vox populi any of them would be more relevant than Stern [with the noted singular exception of one gubernatorial election and perhaps a senatorial one in NY state quite some time ago].

The point is, there is a small slice of life where certain entertainers are going to be relevant. Howard is quite relevant in one specific plane; ergo he is the proverbial big fish in a very small pond.

Last edited:
I disagree ereuben. Call his humor sophmoric if you want ... however ... he has been on the air for 30 plus years. His audiences have only grown. Now Sirius has given him $400,000,000.00 That's a lot of zeros.
No one is discussing Sirus' original deal with Stern. Especially Stern. However even he admits that the half-billion was based on almost unattainable incentive and performance clauses and his actual take when the five years was completed is no where near that figure. Not even remotely close.

Though I'd be the first to admit it was probably an awful lot of money just the same.

[BTW, those incentive and performance clauses where in big part why his show couldn't appear on Sirus/XM iPhone and Android apps. Now that they are gone, for the most party, it is why his show is now free to be on those devices.]

Last edited:
It depends on what plane you are measuring relevancy in.

I have no doubt that when you are talking about the totality of the radio entertainment medium Howard is very relevant, if only based on revenue upstream generated.

Would he be relevant if one were discussing modern medicine? I don't think so.

Another, more appropriate, example: While I am sure Howard's audience size is comparable to Leno's or Letterman's [maybe it is even bigger, as you suggest], and certainly bigger than Jon Stewarts', I would wager that any of the latter three have a bigger impact on daily political views than Stern. So in the plane of relevancy regarding the impact on the political vox populi any of them would be more relevant than Stern [with the noted singular exception of one gubernatorial election and perhaps a senatorial one in NY state quite some time ago].

The point is, there is a small slice of life where certain entertainers are going to be relevant. Howard is quite relevant in one specific plane; ergo he is the proverbial big fish in a very small pond.
First off who cares about fucking medicine or politics when they're looking for a few laughs regardless how cheap or immature they're delivered. And no one is watching Leno or Letterman looking for politics or medicine aside from the occasional freak show like Palin or the guy who walks on stage with the cure for cancer. But since you mention politics... Can Jon Stewert claim this level influence in any election let alone maybe the most important one aside from Pres.

From George Pataki's wiki page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Pataki

"The polls had Gov. Cuomo up by as much as ten points going into the final two weeks, but they then narrowed at the end. In reality, however, Pataki remained neck and neck with Cuomo during the entire race, focusing solely on the issues of tax cuts and the death penalty during the campaign. In addition he made an issue of Cuomo seeking a fourth term as governor and pledged to serve only two terms in office. Cuomo was helped late in the race by the endorsement of New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani. In the end, Pataki narrowly defeated Cuomo in the general election. Many, including George Pataki himself, believe Howard Stern's endorsement of Pataki was a major reason for his win. As a result, Stern was present at the podium with Pataki during his inauguration."

Relevance is about MONEY and nothing more. And Stern got his 400 mil because he brings it in. Not only does he beat the night shows combined audience.... but Leno has the AARP demo, Conan has the college kids and Stern has the males 18-49 which is the most by far sought after demographic. Stern makes his bosses money and thats why he gets the buck and why he got somewhat the same deal (according to reports) that he got last time, and he'll be working less the next 5 yrs. 80 mil a year and that pays for his staff and assorteds. The only thing he got fucked on the original deal (and didn't get this time) was the 100 mil in stock when Sirius was at $6.00 in 2006 and it's $1.40 now. He had no incentives by any reports I've seen nor the ones he reads on air and claims are false. And even if there were incentives.... picking Sirius up off the mat (600,000 subscribers) when he joined and injecting 3 million immediately after signing vs XM and their 5 million and forcing not only a merger but basically taking over XM in 3 years and now they're at 20 mil combined.... I'd say he met whatever incentives if there were any.

He's paid Oprah type money for a reason. Actually he's paid more than Oprah if you compare their Sirius/XM contracts.

What? Why the fuck would he do that. Do you think that before he was famous, Roosevelt treated him well?

because he's made a billion dollars off of all us assholes listening to him yammer all these years....like I said his schtick is getting old....he should shut the fuck up and do something useful for the world with his dough...his money can speak louder and have a greater impact than his words....

I stopped listening to Stern 20 years ago...

There will always be a crop of adolescent males, whether they are 20 years old, or 50, who think his shtick is funny, and who cling to every word he utters...as mentioned above he has made billions from assholes like that immature adolescent male group..

others grow up..

because he's made a billion dollars off of all us assholes listening to him yammer all these years....like I said his schtick is getting old....he should shut the fuck up and do something useful for the world with his dough...his money can speak louder and have a greater impact than his words....
That was one of my problems with Stern, he doesn't seem to care about using his wealth and power towards something beneficial for common folk who loyally tune into him daily. He might donating millions under anonymity for all we know, I really hope that is the case. As always sex sells and the backbone of his schtick is T&A, it's safe and foolproof. I have enjoyed some of his interviews, the freaks are funny, he is kind of like a blue collar Warhol where he surrounds himself with interesting/odd people to make himself more interesting.

Last edited:
That was one of my problems with Stern, he doesn't seem to care about using his wealth and power towards something beneficial for common folk who loyally tune into him daily. He might donating millions under anonymity for all we know, I really hope that is the case. As always sex sells and the backbone of his schtick is T&A, it's safe and foolproof. I have enjoyed some of his interviews, the freaks are funny, he is kind of like a blue collar Warhol where he surrounds himself with interesting/odd people to make himself more interesting.

As opposed to Oprah?

She gives nothing to her fans that sponsors don't donate... it's her version of product placement. She built a fucking school in Africa (that's had issues but that's another story) that probably cost her a tenth of what she earns when she farts... That's IF she actually footed the bill or even a chunk of it. She's worth billions compared to Sterns millions, she's maybe the most famous person on earth.. certainly the most famous and influential woman. If she donates a cent to any charity it's usually done with an army of cameras and reporters in front of her fat face. If anyone remembers O before her billions when she was starting out and ripping of Phil Donahue but dumbed down with a splash of Springer, Sally Jessie and Murry Povich. Who all learned their craft from Oprah who showed them how to take advantage of... {cough} I mean... interview idiots and pregnant teens and making man bashing an art form. And when she's not doing her "You go girl" and "Sista" schtick on TV, she's being the biggest off air fake on two feet. A prime example of her phoniness is keeping up this fucking charade of a relationship with Stedmen for 20 fucking years.

And while Stern was swaying a gubernatorial election, Oprah was swaying a presidential one.

Last edited:
It's millions, certainly not billions.

But, why should we expect him to help the world with his money. He made it, he worked for it, it's his. He can use it how he pleases.

His schtick still works, keeps many people interested, and his interviews are some of the best around.

Just got done listening to McCartney live from the Apollo Theater on Sirius. Concert was supposed to start at 8:30 and go till 11:30. I missed the start and it ended at 10:15. So it looks like they bumped up the start time by an hour to accommodate Stern who was bitching about it starting late on a work night. If that's the case (and I'm kidding here).... that's influence. Stern was supposed to have Paul in this morning, had the Steinway Billy Joel used set up in the studio but he couldn't make it in with the show tonight.

I agree w/ Ozzy - O sucked in the beginning but her "shtick" evolved. And O does nothing less than the "King of all media". Regardless, they've both peaked.

Anybody wanting to see why Howard is still good needs to listen to todays replay of the Little Lupe and sibian creator David.

I'm in my car, you can feel the sibian through the speakers and beautifull little lupe throwing out these incredible orgasms, I think i got a little chubby driving to work.