How to Best Play Flush Draws?

The right answer is usually "it depends", but it helps to think through the possibilities when determining how to play a flush draw. Curious as to what players here think....

Say preflop in a 1/2 no limit game somebody raises to 8 dollars and I'm on the big blind with A9 hearts and the raiser gets about 3 callers, including me.

If the flop comes with 2 hearts and no pair on the board what should I do to make drawing to the nut flush as profitable as possible?

----Should I check since I get to act first, let the preflop raiser make a continuation bet, and then reraise him representing that I have 2 pair or a set?

----Or should I check/call? and then bet it when/if I actually hit it?

I'm usually thinking of three things in this situation: (1) trying to figure out how to disguise my hand best, (2) building up a big enough pot for myself if I hit, and (3) keeping the pot small enough to get away from if I don't hit, or I hit and someone who probably has the nut flush (or a boat) pushes too hard.

Any good advice for situations like this?

I would play that hand strong, bet/raise, build up the pot. Although you neglected to say what the flop was. At this point, you're working on a nut flush, with 9 outs.

I tend to play aggressive in these situations. I slow play only when I've got gold and I don't want to chase away good money coming in.

Last edited:
I agree with bet/raise. It accomplishes two things. First, it disguises the flush draw a bit. If you just call along, you look like you're drawing. If you bet, you're opponent will tend to think you have a made hand. Second, if he bet out, it might just be a continuation if he missed. If you raise, you put yourself in the position to take down the pot on turn if he decides to back off.

The right answer is usually "it depends", but it helps to think through the possibilities when determining how to play a flush draw. Curious as to what players here think....

Say preflop in a 1/2 no limit game somebody raises to 8 dollars and I'm on the big blind with A9 hearts and the raiser gets about 3 callers, including me.

If the flop comes with 2 hearts and no pair on the board what should I do to make drawing to the nut flush as profitable as possible?

----Should I check since I get to act first, let the preflop raiser make a continuation bet, and then reraise him representing that I have 2 pair or a set?

----Or should I check/call? and then bet it when/if I actually hit it?

I'm usually thinking of three things in this situation: (1) trying to figure out how to disguise my hand best, (2) building up a big enough pot for myself if I hit, and (3) keeping the pot small enough to get away from if I don't hit, or I hit and someone who probably has the nut flush (or a boat) pushes too hard.

Any good advice for situations like this?
While situational play is good to keep yourself in check good players play the people they are playing against, not the cards.

What you do depends on how the others act. Your scenario has four people playing and you acting first. If you have determined in the course of the previous play the players in the hand are strong players and you have two cards to make your flush bet strong. Double or triple the raisers bet and force out the weak draws, low pairs and those hoping to hook up over cards. If you get a lot of calls or even raised you know the strength of the hands out against you. They ain't all bluffing. If you take the pot down than its a win, take what you have down against strong players who had you not bet this way would have read you for the 3:1 against that you were and possibly hurt you.

If the players are weak, check-call or bet low. Let others build the pot at lower stakes and try to make your hand. Check raise for the trap on the river if you've made your hand by than.

hey
since all i do is surround myself with poker everyday and every minute let an experienced player tell you this.

a. if the board come with no higher card than an 8 and u have a9 suited u can play it very strong. to make your hand look even stronger i might even consider check raising that way if there are multiple callers that comes before you chances are you are not the only one on a flush draw and maybe u can even lay your hand down or play it cautiously. however if u are in a heads up situation play it strong only because if u hit your flush he probably wont pay u off. so playing it strong is good however u dont wanna always get busted chasing draws but in certain situations i am willing to go bust becasue now i can set my opponent up the next time i flop a big hand they can put me on a draw.