How flawed is the US Judicial System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently reading up on the involuntary manslaughter conviction of 17yr old Michelle Carter in Massachusetts for texts she had sent him. One can search for the full story, but to sum up... Her boyfriend wanted to commit suicide, and after months of trying to dissuade him, decided to help and encourage him which led to his death.
She opted for a trial without a jury, and was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison. The case is in appeal at the moment.

I see how what she did could be considered unethical. The question though, is if our judicial system follows through this sentencing, where could things go from here? The doors it opens could be dangerous.

For instance.. If he turned around and decided to go after her instead of himself, could he state the act was in self defense? How many times have we heard in "friendly banter" that a person should just end themselves? I would be curious to see where that question would go in trial. Kids attacking other kids in "self defense" across the US.. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.