How Do I Find Affordable CD Duplication and Packaging in NY?

I have a friend who needs to find the most affordable way to get CD duplication and packaging for his music demo.

I am not fully aware of all the details as of yet but he did say he already has the design work done but I do not think this means printed. Also, I think this may be anywhere from 500 to 1000 items?

If I had enough time I could use a laser writer and a stationary store bought "two up" template for the CD labels and I could burn one copy at a time but this would take a very long time and the songs would not have titles.

So if anyone has any advice or recommendations please add what you can.

I am also sure I have not asked him all I need ask to know what the final cost will be. So if you can think of more details I need to know from my friend before I can find out what the final cost will be and how do get it done in the most affordable way please let me know what to ask.

Discmakers

One reputable outfit with a facility in NYC is Discmakers:

http://www.discmakers.com/

They create both CDs and DVDs, and the people I know who have used them are very happy. They seem reasonable, too. Bear in mind I have no experience with them myself, but all the reviews are good . . .

Discmakers are OK, but whether or not they are cost-effective depends on what exactly you are looking for. I'm pretty busy at the moment, but when I have time later this afternoon, I can explain in more detail. I have a lot of experience in this area.

If I had enough time I could use a laser writer and a stationary store bought "two up" template for the CD labels and I could burn one copy at a time but this would take a very long time and the songs would not have titles.
Larry,

Could you clarify what you mean by this? Not sure why the songs wouldn't have titles. Do you mean titles on the labels, or titles recognizable by the digital player?

titles recognizable by the digital player?
If I burn one CD at a time, my software by default does not pickup the name of the song. I guess this can be overcome either with getting to know the software just a little better or by getting better software.

Either way I do not want to be responsible for the work because the time involved but mostly because if anything goes wrong I would have screwed a friend and would not have the time and energy to make it right.

If I burn one CD at a time, my software by default does not pickup the name of the song. I guess this can be overcome either with getting to know the software just a little better or by getting better software.

Either way I do not want to be responsible for the work because the time involved but mostly because if anything goes wrong I would have screwed a friend and would not have the time and energy to make it right.
To my knowledge, thats something thats done when the master CD is being created. I assume you are comparing store-bought CDs to the ones you burn yourself. If you try copying a store-bought CD, do you have the same results?

I am also sure I have not asked him all I need ask to know what the final cost will be. So if you can think of more details I need to know from my friend before I can find out what the final cost will be and how do get it done in the most affordable way please let me know what to ask.
How many colors in the artwork (is it 4/c process, or black plus how many PMS colors)

You'll need this information for the artwork that appears on the CD, as well as the front-liner and backliner? How many panels for the front-liner?
(assuming its packing into a standard CD jewel case, if not what is the packaging).

You'll pretty much need every detail imaginable in order to get your friend an accurate quote.

Interesting. So the store-bought CD shows the songs on your digital player, but the copy you burn doesn't (I assume it just shows track1, track2, etc)?

What software/hardware are you using to burn the CDs?
Could it be that he's talking about the file name of each song and not the tag? Whenever I burn cd's, unless I have the proper tag, the name of the tune doesn't show up. What the cd players "read" are these tags, or information , of each song, not the file name.

Could it be that he's talking about the file name of each song and not the tag? Whenever I burn cd's, unless I have the proper tag, the name of the tune doesn't show up. What the cd players "read" are these tags, or information , of each song, not the file name.
Its possible, but since he's making an exact digital copy, it shouldn't change at all from the master CD to the duplicate, which is why I asked him about the software/hardware he's using. Of course, if he's bypassing some copy-protection on the master CD in order to burn it, that may be why he's noticing the difference. Considering his friend will be supplying a duplication master (not copy-protected) that shouldn't be a problem.

To answer the questing about what software I am using the answer is, Toast.

But I won't be doing the duplications so whatever my problem is regarding the song names is irrevolent to the issue at hand.

To answer the questing about what software I am using the answer is, Toast.

But I won't be doing the duplications so whatever my problem is regarding the song names is irrevolent to the issue at hand.
Understood. When your friend gives you all the details, if you want to post them I may be able to give you a ballpark cost estimate, and let you know how he can keep his costs down.

Interesting. So the store-bought CD shows the songs on your digital player, but the copy you burn doesn't (I assume it just shows track1, track2, etc)?

What software/hardware are you using to burn the CDs?
If you put a commercial CD in your computer player, the title of the album and all the tracks appear because the computer looks up the disc in Gracenotes or CDDB. That doesn't happen with a burned CD, which does not have the number of the title included. Presumably you can get a commercial house to put that "title number" (I don't know the real name) on the disc and register it with Gracenotes and CDDB.

By the way, why limit yourself to a house in NY? Everything can be done just as easily round the world as in NYC.

Last edited:
No, I've never had it done for music (just for data) and you can Google "CD duplication packaging" same as I can. I'm just saying that you can do everything online and don't need to limit yourself to businesses in New York.