How bout that Emmitt?

Man...why couldn't it be a more exciting player like Barry Sanders. I really miss watching him carry the ball. He'd be light years ahead of Emmitt if he didn't retire early.

Random thoughts

Barry Sanders did quit too early, and I agree that if he was still playing he'd hold the record. That feat is particularly impressive when you look at the quality of line he played behind. He never had a chance to win a SuperBowl ring. Lots of Barry's yards came from the outside

Walter was a class act, on and off the field. He won a Super Bowl Ring. Walter ran in the horrid weather conditions of Chicago.

Emmitt was fortunate in that he never suffered a significant injury. He was always a threat from the backfield or from drop off passes, and he has a ring or two. Most of Emmitt's yards came from between the tackles.

I never saw Brown run.

Eric Dickerson and Marcus Allen.....not in the same class as the 4 above.

"The Best Ever?" The numbers not withstanding, I think Barry did more with less but Emmitt did earn the record, so far.

Emmitt vs. Barry vs. Walter vs. Jim Brown

Originally posted by One Eyed Trouser Trout
Barry Sanders did quit too early, and I agree that if he was still playing he'd hold the record. That feat is particularly impressive when you look at the quality of line he played behind.

Emmitt was fortunate in that he never suffered a significant injury

"The Best Ever?" The numbers not withstanding, I think Barry did more with less but Emmitt did earn the record, so far.
Barry did much more with a less talented offensive line, and a less talented offense. Face it... Emmitt had Michael, Troy and a few others to keep pressure off of him. Barry had no one in Detroit.

The key to everything is staying healthy. Emmitt has a chirporator and get treatments all the time. That is part of the key to staying healthy. (Aside, have you seen any footage of Earl Campbell recently? The man can barely walk. He is much bigger than Emmitt, and had a different running style. You can not deny that Emmitt takes very good care of his body and health.)

Emmitt holds the record. No one can deny that. (Being a Cowboy fan, I rejoice.) However, Barry did do more with less talent around him, and my vote for the greatest of all time, is Jim Brown.

Remember, when Brown played, the game although integrated, was very, very racial. He had men beating on him, gouging him while he was still in the pile... The season's were 8 and 10 games long! How many seasons would it take Emmitt, Barry and Walter playing in a ten game season? Or, how would Jim Brown have fared if he had had 8 seasons of 16 games? (Comparing apples to apples.) They are all talented running backs, but please remember the arena in which all of them were playing.

I don't think it's possible to determine who the "best" of any athlete would be. They are all different, played differently, did different things, etc. It's like asking who the most beautiful woman in the world is.

Emmitt has had an unbelievable career, thanks primarily to his good health, great talent, and outstanding support of his teammates. He deserves to have the rushing title, because he DID it.

Barry, Emmitt, OJ, JB, Sweetness, Dickerson, Riggins, Leroy Kelly, Marcus Allen, Priest Holmes, Csonka, Gayle Sayers, etc., etc., etc.-I'm glad I got a chance to see them all play. And, no doubt, I'm leaving some out.

Emmitt-thanks for everything. You are One Class Act...

Last edited:
Emmitt deserves all the praise that he is getting. His committment to the game and to a team who has fallen so far down is admirable.

But I hope he retires at the end of the season while he is healthy.

without a doubt the best of all time was Gayle Sayers...
If you ever saw him play, you'd have to agree...
too bad a catastrophic injury ended his career....
second, i'd say Jim Brown... don't forget that he ran
up his yardage totals when they only played a 10 or
12 game schedule...not 16 like they do now.....
also, the game is a lot faster now,but A LOT tougher
when Brown played...these prima donnas
of today wouldn't last a season in the "old days"

of course, this is only my opinion, debating these things
is what makes football great....besides the cheerleaders
and beer that is.......

Last edited:
1. Jim Brown

2. Walter Payton

3. Barry Sanders

Not to take anything away from Smith, but he played behind perhaps the greatest offensive line ever (not to mention "Moose" Johnson who was one of the better blocking backs ever).... He also played on a hell of a lot better teams than Payton, Sanders or Brown.

Jim Brown also played when there was very little vertical passing, thus most defenses stacked 10 men along the line of scrimmage.

Last edited:
If I get a call tonight that I have to put a team together tomorrow and I can choose any players from NFL/AFL AAFL history at running back:

Here is my backfield:

1. Earl Cambell

2. Jim Brown

3. Walter Payton

4. Orenthal James Simpson (Barts darker brother)

In my opinion the two best I ever saw was Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers. Emmitt is a great back and deserves congratulations but he was not the best at least in my opinion.

Originally posted by jasonbuju
Emmitt deserves all the praise that he is getting. His committment to the game and to a team who has fallen so far down is admirable.

But I hope he retires at the end of the season while he is healthy.
i agree jason

Ok - I'll give you Tony Dorsett. He was great

But I STILL rooted for Pittsburgh during those Superbowl years.

The only thing good about Dallas would be the cheerleaders.