Harvey Keitel's method acting

Considering that Harvey Keitel was a proponent of method acting, I've always wondered just how far he went in lending authenticity to this scene.

It's one of my favorite films (I like pretty much all Abel Ferrara anyway) Despite how un-relentingly grim it is there is a real dark humor to it. Maybe I find it funny because a friend of mine when he was about 14 went on vacation with his father to a static caravan park in a shithole part of Scotland known as Dumfries. It rains 300 days a year there, the locals are neanderthal heroin addicts and there is absolutely nothing to do. Stuck in the caravan due to weather they decide to watch some movies they hired and pick Bad Lieutenant. He has described watching that particular scene with his dad as the single most awkward moment in his life. I don't see him much anymore now but anytime I do I remind him of that trip because i still cry with laughter at his vivid description of how uncomfortable the rest of the vacation was.

Seems fitting now that you mention it. Haven't seen the Herzog film but heard it's pretty good and that it was never intended as a remake.