Greatness

I've watched sports for almost sixty years now and the thing that turns me on just as much as seeing my favorite team win is to watch a great athlete perform, even if it's at the expense of my own team. The word "great" is grossly overused because it should only apply to those who have taken their performance in their chosen sport to a new height.

Michael Jordan is great. He was and still is a thrill to watch. Tiger Woods is great. His ability and mental preparation sends tingles down my spine especially because I personally know how tough golf is. I've pursued that sport for forty years now and have never been able to get my handicap below eight.

And now allow me to anoint Michael Vick. This guy is something special and his name will be uttered with Jordan and Woods in years to come if he continues doing what he's been doing. The average professional life of a football player is five years at most, so let's hope that Michael Vick beats that average and is still wowing us fifteen years from now.

Originally posted by Intown
And now allow me to anoint Michael Vick. This guy is something special and his name will be uttered with Jordan and Woods in years to come if he continues doing what he's been doing. The average professional life of a football player is five years at most, so let's hope that Michael Vick beats that average and is still wowing us fifteen years from now.
He's been a starter for 3/4 of a season. IMO, a tad premature to call him great.

Great moments? Yes. Superb athlete, yes. But to me "great" has an element of time to it.

The list of running QB's who survive in the NFL is a short one. He is one serious hit away from being 4.2 second great, to 4.5 second average. If he can't run, he's average at best.

I feel fortunate, though, to be a season ticket holder for an NFL South team. I get to see him in person at least once a year, just as I had the wonderful opportunity to see Brett Favre live once a year for his career to date.

Re: Re: Greatness

Originally posted by Reel Deal
He's been a starter for 3/4 of a season. IMO, a tad premature to call him great.

Great moments? Yes. Superb athlete, yes. But to me "great" has an element of time to it.

The list of running QB's who survive in the NFL is a short one. He is one serious hit away from being 4.2 second great, to 4.5 second average. If he can't run, he's average at best.

I feel fortunate, though, to be a season ticket holder for an NFL South team. I get to see him in person at least once a year, just as I had the wonderful opportunity to see Brett Favre live once a year for his career to date.

DITTO.*

Been dying to do that.

Do I have to give copyright credit to JL and/or Thorn.