Good news for women...

...bad news for the Democratic Party. The electorate has clearly become more moderate and the Democrats pick one of the most liberal members of the House as their leader - not good!

Pelosi wins House leadership post
California Democrat first woman to lead either party in Congress
By Sean Loughlin
CNN Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON (CNN) --In a history-making move, Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-California, was elected House minority leader by Democrats Thursday, becoming the first woman to lead either party in Congress.

"I didn't run as a woman," said Pelosi, a liberal who represents San Francisco. "I ran again as a seasoned politician and experienced legislator. It just so happens that I am a woman, and we have been waiting a long time for this moment."

Emerging from the caucus room to applause, Pelosi promised to invigorate Democratic voters and to seek "common ground" with Republicans in the fight against terrorism, the economy and other issues. But, she added, where there are differences with the GOP, "We will put up the fight."

Pelosi, 62, launched her campaign for the minority leader's post last week after Richard Gephardt, D-Missouri, announced that he would step aside, following Democratic losses in the midterm elections.

Pelosi, re-elected easily last week to her ninth term in the House, faced a challenge for the leadership post from Rep. Harold Ford of Tennessee and Rep. Marcy Kaptur of Ohio. Kaptur pulled out before the vote, and Pelosi -- minority whip in the 107th Congress -- defeated Ford by a 177-29 vote, taken behind closed doors.

Elegant and poised, Pelosi has won friends in the House both for her personable manner and her fund-raising skills, where she has raised money for other Democrats in the House. She is a reliable liberal vote in the House. She voted recently against the congressional resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq and has consistently supported gay rights and opposed efforts to criminalize abortion.

Pelosi is the senior Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, and she also serves on the House Appropriations Committee, two influential panels. She now faces the challenge of organizing a party shaken by the elections and facing a popular Republican president in the White House.

Married and the mother of five grown children, Pelosi is a Baltimore native and the daughter of a one-time mayor there.

Some Republicans have expressed glee at the prospect of a Democrat from what is arguably the country's most liberal city leading the party, believing Pelosi is out of touch with most Americans.

Pelosi has dismissed the criticism and has vowed to highlight differences between the GOP and Democrats on such issues as taxes, the economy and education.

"I do think that people elected me to be a leader and not an advocate for my own point of view," she told CNN last week. "Everyone in the party has their own place in the spectrum."

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, struck a diplomatic note Wednesday, telling CNN he looked forward to working with Pelosi. But he also hinted that Republicans won't be shy about highlighting Pelosi's ideology.

"I think Nancy will call herself a San Francisco liberal," Hastert said. "So I don't think that's a problem."

In other Democratic leadership races, Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland was elected to replace Pelosi replacement as whip and Rep. Robert Menendez of New Jersey narrowly won the post of chairman of the House Democratic Caucus. He defeated Rep. Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut by a vote of 104-103. Menendez becomes the highest-ranking Hispanic in congressional history.

House Republicans chose their leadership Wednesday, re-electing Hastert as speaker and elevating Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas, from whip to majority leader. Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt took DeLay's spot as House majority whip.

The 108th Congress convenes in January.

The big beneficiary of this has got to be Alexandra (or HBO, depending on who owns what). The value of the rights to Travels With George have got to have just gone threw the roof.

justme

homo economicus
FWIW, I think part of the party's failure in the mid terms can be attributed to their lack of a platform that was anything more than passive objection. Playing to the center only works if you provide them with a real vision. If it takes a liberal in leadership to return the party to actually writing policy, then great.

It's not like they could do any worse in two years.

Worst move the Dems could make. She makes the typical liberal look like Ashcroft. She's totally out of touch with reality and the every day man, she comes from a mega rich family and if it wasn't for her very pro gay policies in SF... she'd have never been elected in the first place. She thinks that the reason the dems lost as because they pandered to the republicans, saying they became "republican lite". She's going to take the party even more to the left than it ever was before and that's not what most of the country wants... definitely not middle America.

She'll be canned within two years.

JM.. I agree with you that the dems had no platform, But I think a big reason for the republican success was that it appeared that they moved towards the center just a bit (even if they didn't do it intentionally). The extreme right or left is not where the majority of your voters are.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
So few people are voting these days that it's really hard to say anything about how people might have voted.

Nonetheless, I have many liberal leaning friends that didn't bother to vote because they didn't see any point in voting for democrats that could go along with something like the Patriot Act.

Centralizing your platform is fine as long as you don't forget your core ideology.

Ultimately, though, I disagree with your assement that the dems need to move to the right. I think they just need to make a better argument for the left.